WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is willing to buy you any watch you choose. Price is no object.

The catch is that you must give up all the watches you currently own and the new one is the only watch you can ever own thereafter.

Would you do it and if so, what one watch would you choose?

Fr. John†

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Ooh, tough one. So many modern and vintage choices.

Is this limited to Omega watches?

If so, I would probably get the most beautiful vintage Speedy (pre-moon) available. If modern, perhaps a Liquid Metal PO or some other very high end Speedy.

If this was for other brands, I do like the Blancpain FF.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
wow,, talk about thinking the same, while I was thinking and typing you were posting

Ooh, tough one. So many modern and vintage choices.

Is this limited to Omega watches?

If so, I would probably get the most beautiful vintage Speedy (pre-moon) available. If modern, perhaps a Liquid Metal PO or some other very high end Speedy.

If this was for other brands, I do like the Blancpain FF.

Regards,
Eric

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
I'd say no.

But then again, I have a problem with authority. Or is it commitment? :-d

Really, I know myself well enough to realize that my tastes change with time. Whatever my answer would be today, I wouldn't want to have to be stuck with that choice forever. The only "forever" I have is my wonderful wife.

But an interesting question nonetheless.

Reactions: calv1n

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
I reckon this thread will be deemed useless unless we start adding some pictures.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your choices are not limited to any brand.

The bottom line is:

Are you willing to give up all the watches you currently own and live with one watch, and only one watch, for the rest of your life?

Fr. John†

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
Yes. I'm not a collector just an enthusiast. I'm also CDO (alphabetical order :-d) and I go through phases...watches happens to be one of them right now.

And the watch would be...*drum-roll* ... the Speedy Pro with a 1450 bracelet.

Can I still get a $50 beater to beach, fish, and work with? b-)

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
HA.... I had a similar thought....

First, I could definitely not do a one watch deal. I mean what if the battery ran out and it stopped working?:-d

Second, can I get the same deal with the wife? I promise to pick another one that would surely outlive me ...;-)

I'd say no.

Really, I know myself well enough to realize that my tastes change with time. Whatever my answer would be today, I wouldn't want to have to be stuck with that choice forever. The only "forever" I have is my wonderful wife.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
This would not be an easy decision for me, in the end, I don't think I could do it. There is something to be said about collecting, that typically means "more then one". And not just because I want to wear them, but it is nice owning them too.

Take for instance an Omega Megasonic. I don't think I could stand not owning one. Or a Seiko Spring Drive. The mechanics of the above two watches are so unique and out of the box that it is a pleasure owning each of them for what they are.

However, I don't feel that I will ever have the chance to own any of the following watches, and given a chance, I might take a leap of faith that one of them would be enough, but I don't think so.

A Philippe Dufour Duality. (Dual Escapement to remove errors in escapement frequency)

A URWERK UR-CC1 or the UR-202. (I honestly would want both, so this alone would break me down to a horrible mess, but wear ability would settle the difference for me. I have already worn the 202 on my wrist, so I KNOW that watch is just right for me, and it had INCREDIBLE wrist presence.)

A true Breguet pocket watch. I could stand to use a cell phone for my time keeping if I could own one of his masterpieces...

A. Lange and Sohne, RICHARD LANGE “Pour le Mérite”. (Fusee driven)

A. Lange and Sohne, LANGE ZEITWERK. (Constant force escapement, never mind the digital display, and the speed that the numbers can change)

Meh, well, that is enough for now as I know of more I could pull out of my hat, you all get the idea, I don't think I could settle for just one, but if the dust settled, I think I would have the URWERK UR-202 on my wrist. It just looked so good on my wrist, I know I would be very happy to wear it everyday and might be the only way I will ever own one... :)

P.S. The more I think about it, the more I believe that I could be happy with the UR-202. I really liked that watch.

·
Registered
621 Posts
i'm going to get shot here because of the brand, but i have a soft spot for them AND love this piece.

victorinox Legacy Réserve de Marche Platine

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I'd say no.

+1 |> What Alex said.
In 15 years of marriage I have learned I want no other than my wife. But all my other tastes have changed over the years. I like variety. Plus, I have at least one watch I would never part with...;-)
But if I could choose 1 watch and NOT have to give up the others, Hmmm:think:

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.