WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is willing to buy you any watch you choose. Price is no object.

The catch is that you must give up all the watches you currently own and the new one is the only watch you can ever own thereafter.

Would you do it and if so, what one watch would you choose?

Fr. John†

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I wouldn't do it. There's no single watch that can do everything I need (and everything my current collection does). For example, how am I meant to change TV channels when I'm too lazy to get the remote from the hifi cabinet??? What will I abuse at the gym and in the sauna? What matches perfectly a vintage navy suit with gold pin stripes? Cool question!

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Nope. Maybe this isn't sufficiently "WIS" of me, but I can't think of any really high end watch that I'd like. Pateks, BPs, JLCs, U-Ns those types of watches, they just don't do anything for me. Maybe it's partly because I can't afford them in this, or any other reality... but I also think it's something else too. I think there's a little egalitarian in me that likes wearing a watch that isn't too far removed from the every day.

Would I like a BP Fifty Fathoms? Sure. But not as much as a Rolex Sub No-Date, a DOXA 1000T Pro, a Seiko Marine Maste, an Omega PO, or heck, even a Bathys 100 Fathoms (and with that last one I get TWICE the fathoms!).

I'd sooner wear a Seiko Spring Drive or Stowa Marine than a Patek Phillipe Dress watch as well.

And I'd much sooner invest in a basic Omega Speedmaster Pro than Bregeut or U-N Chronograph.

I guess the point is that the watches I really want are ones that I could afford anyway - with saving and discipline - even on my humble salary. Therefore, the thought of being given any watch I want - at such a cost as losing every other watch I'd like - doesn't do anything for me.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The watches I have--particularly two or three of them--I wouldn't give up for any other watch in the world! And I'm like the Walrus . . . a watch that is completely beyond the means or reach of the average person--what would I be doing wearing a watch like that? I think it finally reaches the point of "ludicrous" when you buy a watch that isn't better than any other watch--just more expensive than any other watch. At some point you go beyond functionality and enter the world of mindless, endlessly consumptive "bling."

Each of my currently owned watches fills a particular niche . . . dress watch, sport watch, casual watch, get-filthy-in-the-desert watch, etc., etc. No one watch could fill all of those niches.

If I could just acquire one more watch, without giving up whatever I now own, it would probably be an Omega Hour Vision with the new 8500 caliber movement in a rose gold case. And I'd rather have one of those than any Philippe Patek on the market!

·
Registered
146 Posts
I wouldn't make the trade. Simply put I don't want to wear a dress watch every day, but I do want to have at least one dress watch to wear when appropriate. On a similar line of thought, I like to keep my nicer watches looking nice. This results in me having levels of nicer watches. At the bottom are watches for tough work/camping (think G-shock). In the middle are daily wear watches that will get the normal Wabi but you probably wouldn't wear to work on the car. Then at the top are nice watches that you keep looking nice. One really nice watch just wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
Id do it. Trade em all and wear a Rolex Sea Dweller for the rest of my days.
b-)

Id have to think long and hard about which one, but either a vintage Comex, double red, or DSSD. :)

I was going to pick a Panerai Luminor, since i wear one most often, and you can put so many different straps for it, but i figured the plain movement would be a bore. Then i thought PloProf, but that would be too sporty for a dressy office setting (job). So to me a watch that can be a beater, dress, office, sport, and lounging watch, is a Rolex Submariner style.

id have to pick a high end or rare model to keep me from wanting to give it up in the future. ;-)

So if anyone wants to trade all my watches, and i mean ALL....for a Sub or SD, lemme know. :-!

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I would kill a Sea Dweller inside 12 months if it was my only watch! :-d

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
EVERY other watch?? If so... no deal for me. I need an ABC in the arsenal as well as an HRM/cycling piece.

Now, if those ye not be considered "watches" then I would dump all the others and go for an A. Lange & Sohne... Most likely the Lange 1 Moonphase

Attachments

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
Mainly falling off bikes. Falling over in general. Whacking them on hard stuff. The kinds of activities that shatter unprotected crystals. I don't like the idea of taking mechanicals into saunas on a regular basis either.

EDIT: But if anyone wants to send me one to road-test for a few months I'd be more than happy to! :)

You must be really mean to your watches then Toby. :roll:

What do you guys do over there in Oz that makes you destroy a stainless steel watch with a sapphire crystal? :think:

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,946 Posts
Someone is willing to buy you any watch you choose. Price is no object.

The catch is that you must give up all the watches you currently own and the new one is the only watch you can ever own thereafter.

Would you do it and if so, what one watch would you choose?

Fr. John†
I would not do it. I have yet to see the one watch that no matter the price that would give more long term enjoyment than a well chosen collection of more affordable watches.

·
Registered
10,168 Posts
Of course.
I'd get something ridiculously expensive, sell it, and forget all about watches.
haha yeah, well, if that's an option I'm there too. Pick out a nice 5, 10 million dollar piece, turn, sell, and live happily ever after on the interest while checking the time on my cell.

·
Registered
168 Posts
sounds like a double edged sword but one edge has a huge blade and the other a dinky little one.. chances are i will NEVER do it... this hobby is an obsession not a disease with a one shot cure.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
Not me. I'd never be happy with one watch. That means I'd cease being a collector and never again have a group of vintage watches from the brands I love. Like spookz says there is no one shot cure. Even if you gave me an AP Jules Audemars of my choice I'd be aching to flip it inside of a handful of years.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts