WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have been contemplating my next purchase, which i want to be a higher-end watch than in my stable. Was thinking about a Zenith El Primero, a JLC Master Compressor or a Ulysse Nardin - and actually, had put this Breguet on my list after seeing some photos in a WUS thread.

As serendipity would have, i have the chance to get used Breguet Marine 5817 at a very good price, which kinda makes it jump to the top of the line.

Is there something i need to be worried about in terms of reliability? And for those who have it - how well does it play with smart-causal? Linen shorts/trousers, designer jeans, rolled up sleeves & untucked shirts, and nice polos?

TIA!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have been contemplating my next purchase, which i want to be a higher-end watch than in my stable. Was thinking about a Zenith El Primero, a JLC Master Compressor or a Ulysse Nardin - and actually, had put this Breguet on my list after seeing some photos in a WUS thread.

As serendipity would have, i have the chance to get used Breguet Marine 5817 at a very good price, which kinda makes it jump to the top of the line.

Is there something i need to be worried about in terms of reliability? And for those who have it - how well does it play with smart-causal? Linen shorts/trousers, designer jeans, rolled up sleeves & untucked shirts, and nice polos?

TIA!
Not sure if you already made up your mind about your purchase, but I owned this watch for a little bit over a year or so before I traded it. This Breguet is very versatile and goes well with just about any outfit. In the second hand market, this watch is a good buy and a good entry into the Breguet brand. The only cons is the shiny bezel and lugs do scratch easily. On the side note, I believe this is just an isolated incidence. New out of box, I was able to wear it for half a day, and it would stay wound for at least 50 hours. The winding efficiency declined after about a year of usage, I would need to manually wind my watch after a full day wear to prevent from losing too much time or complete stoppage during bed time. But this wasn't something that the repair center wouldn't be able to resolve. Overall a great everyday watch. You get a nicely hand-guilloched dial, nicely polished bezel and lugs and nicely finished movement with beautiful rotor and beveling on all edges. The movement finish is a step up from the JLC master compressor and a couple steps above the UN Maxi Marine. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
4,012 Posts
What is left from Breguet is its glorious name. Still they are making some beautiful watches. But this...
Small case, giant lugs. Questionable reliability. Takes deep dive on secondary market. And all this package: Classic dial with sporty pretensions and rubber strap? Not in my book.

I'd propose you to go with Zenith El Primero but I'm heavily biased

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, guys. I was looking to buy used, so that depreciation was working in my benefit. However, as it turns out, I decided to skip on the purchase. I went and checked out the watch at an AD and really liked it, but it ended up being a little too ornate to be a sports watch. Did get the Zenith since then, however :)

Reactions: Alex_TA

·
Registered
81 Posts
What is left from Breguet is its glorious name.........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not sure if I can agree with that statement. By looking at what the brand presented to collectors at this year's Basel, namely the two tradition models 7077 independent chronographe featuring two separate escapements and 7087 tourbillon minute repeaters featuring vertical sound strikers are innovative masterpieces. Since 2012, the brand has managed to come out with pieces with innovative movements year after year. Sure, the brand as a whole doesn't have great resale value compared to say Patek, but that may change in the future if they strive to produce masterpieces like they have been for years. I love Breguet not because of its namesake but the fact they have not failed to impress collectors like myself for quite awhile now.

Cheers,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts