WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
After doing some research on digital cameras I am considering the Nikon D50 as my next camera.
I am by no means a person that knows a lot about cameras except that I need a new one and was never very happy with my Panasonic point & shoot 3.2MP that is going on 3 yrs. I hated waiting in between shots for it to set up again.
Anyways, I understand SLR's don't really have an issue with shutter lag and that they are more flexible compared to a point & shoot and I was told I would be less likey to outgrow an SLR within a couple of years because of the lenses, flashes and programs I could run with it.
However, point & shoot cameras now come with image stabilization that seems like a pretty cool feature to me and some are designed as SLR like -although not a true SLR.
So having said that - is it better to go with a Nikon SLR and learn how to use it - which I would - OR is the new style point & shoot cameras with image stabilization just as good?:think:
Is image stabilization really that good/ important or would I achieve better results from an SLR?:think:
Please help this confused individual.:thanks

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Go for it!

[...]SLR's don't really have an issue with shutter lag and that they are more flexible compared to a point & shoot and I was told I would be less likey to outgrow an SLR within a couple of years because of the lenses, flashes and programs I could run with it.
Shutter lag is nowadays really not an issue on DSLR's, but some new P&S cameras also hace a minimal shutter lag.

When buying an SLR you start building a photographic system that fits your personal needs.

My main reasons for buying an DSLR is were:

- Flexibility - Lenses
Lenses can be choosen according to the shooting situation. Optical quality of the lenses for SLR's is higher.

- Flexibility and power - Light
The flashguns used on SLR's give more light output compared to the minilights in the P&S cameras. The flashgun also can be used off the camera, triggered wireless or by cable. Use of multiple flashguns for effective lighting is possible.

Main disadvantage of SLR's is the size.

However, point & shoot cameras now come with image stabilization that seems like a pretty cool feature to me and some are designed as SLR like -although not a true SLR.
There are lenses featuring image stabilisation for SLR's. In case of the Nikon lenses they carry the the designation VR (vibration reduction) in the name, third party lenses like Sigma use the designation IS. Nikon's 18-200 VR lens is a good allrounder, but a tad expensive. I am using Nikon's 80-400 VR lens on my D100.

[...]
Is image stabilization really that good/ important or would I achieve better results from an SLR?
About image stabilisation:
Not so important, but helpful, IMO comes in handy in 2 shooting situations,

- low light candid shots (as advertised with the P&S cameras), where the sutter speed normally needs a tripod for blur-free images. For high quality low light landscape or cityscape you still need the tripod, as shutter speeds get far too long , image stabilisation does not help.

- when using a long telephoto lens, that otherwise would require a tripod to be used w/o blur, even in daylight. In low light situations (see here) with a long telephoto you also will still need the tripod, reasons as above.

So it's helpful, but it does not completely eliminate the need for a tripod in all situations. As said above, you can have image stabilisation on an SLR as well.

And for the D50: Again, go for it!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Hi. I have a D50-that's what I use to take all the images I post here. it's an awesome camera for the money-I think it's the least expensive Nikon digital SLR. I haven't shot much film sice I got it, despite having 3 film bodies. If you have an interest in close up photography, get the Nikon 60mm micro lens. It's been the cure for lots of boring days at home! It's about $400 new, but can be had used for 1/2 to 2/3 that price. KEH.com in Atlanta is the best camera store that sells used gear. All the pics of my watches were taken with that lens. And it was used for these too.
https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=36967

Getting back to the D50, I think you'll love it. And here's a link to the lens.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5&productNr=1987

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all your help - I appreciate it!
I did not know you could get image stabilizing lenses - cool.
If I bought the D50 I would have to go for a tripod for the time being as spending more on another lens might be a bit much right now - but at least it's an option.
Beautiful photos by the way.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Don't forget this place...B-)

Please come back and share the pictures you made with ''the new one''..;-)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I asked the same question here about a month ago and had some great advice from members of the forum. I went for the D50 and am very pleased with it. If you go back a week or two on this board you will see a few photo's I took.
If you get one you will not be disappointed.
Best regards
Andy

·
Registered
881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I went ahead and bought the camera today. A local shop had it on sale for a very good price and it came with a free Nikon bag, a free book (DSLR's for Dummies) LOL, and 125 free prints.
I haven't had time to play with it yet as my wife has me putting up Christmas lights right now.
I just came in to take a break while she gets more extension cords at the store.
I'm pretty excited - I'll post some shots when I get some time.
Thanks again for all the great advice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts