WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of you know how this goes, you see one watch you think looks good and next thing you know you are reading every forum and website on the watch and brand...

Long story short, I never thought I would be considering a Panerai for myself but the 244 and 159 seem to have caught my eye.

I have been mostly an Omega and Rolex guy with a Doxa and couple of micro brands thrown in. Largest watch so far has been the Omega 2201(42mm) planet ocean. I’d say my wrist is on the smaller side.

I am drawn to the 40mm size and like the GMT function with the 300m water resistance of the 244 and 159.

Those of you familiar with these watches...do these models really sit like a hockey puck due to the width/height ratio? Wish I could easily go try on a 40mm PAM but COVID is making it hard to walk into a store just to try something.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Not sure if you would find any 40mm GMT PAM. It may looks small on a guy’s wrist.
I have the 42mm GMT P01535, and it is so comfortable as a daily that I almost forgot my large Omega PO GMT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,337 Posts
my very first Panerai was 159. nice watch but 1 month later, i regretted buying it .it ended up on my ex GF's wrist for a few months till i traded it up for a 44mm..( you'll find most people who bought the 40mm, sold it shortly after. this is an "expensive" lesson to learn. especially small size PAMs are hard to get rid of ).. it didn't have the Panerai Soul. felt small on the wrist in an odd way (maybe because the proportions) ..

Panerai should be bold and on the bigger size . IMO of course. that's what make them Unique, and collectors buy'em for their uniqueness.. if i were to do this all over again. i'd start off with a simple 2 handre (or w/ sub-second dial) hand wind Lumior, then branch out to different models and styles.
so take your time, study some Models, and choose carefully.. best of luck

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
I recommend 44mm size. Pam 510 for starter will be nice.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
Another vote for the 44mm.

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
157 Posts
As someone that has owned both a 42mm Planet Ocean and a 44mm Luminor simultaneously, I can tell you that I really felt that there wasn’t much in it, wrist-presence-wise, especially when comparing the PO on a bracelet with the Luminor on a strap.

I know it’s not the easiest thing to achieve, what with The Great Unraveling and all, but my advice would be to go to a Panerai dealer, wearing your Omega, and see for yourself. Crucially, don’t just look at it on your wrist, but look at it in a larger mirror, from a distance of 3’ of more. It’s real easy for the perspective of viewing up close to skew one’s impressions.

Best-case scenario would be to slip your existing PO onto one wrist, and the PAM onto another, to get a true comparison.

Reactions: 5959HH

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Whats your wrist size? The cushion case wears smaller than a similar sized round model

Weight. Go with titanium if a GMT is available in that metal. You will notice the weight in steel if you switch between various watches. I don't notice the weight as Panerai is the only watch I wear, so used to it

My wrist is 7" and I wear a 44 mm

DON

·
Registered
31,594 Posts
Good way to do it if you can’t get access to the real thing is draw the watch on a piece of paper, getting the dimensions spot on and then lay it on your wrist.

Sounds daft, but it works, and will give you an idea of what the watch will look like.

From my experience Rads wear a lot smaller than Luminors, and manual wind Luminors wear smaller than their auto counterparts. I have quite a few 47mil cases and believe it or not IMO they wear smaller than a 312 I owned for a while, which was an auto 44mil.

Good luck with your hunt.

Reactions: wolfie1 and 5959HH

·
Premium Member
15,907 Posts

I think it depends on not only the circumference of one’s wrist but more importantly the configuration of one’s wrist, whether flat or round. I have a rather flat wrist that measures slightly under 7” but wear my watches technically on my arm in the concavity that measures 6.5”.

IMO it’s important that the lugs fit within the confines of the radius and ulna, and not extend beyond. The PAM 574 above is 42mm, although I can go up to 44mm but not beyond.

At one time I owned a PAM Luminor 111 that was 44mm and fit within the confines I just mentioned. I’m not fond of any Luminor under 44mm and would not consider Luminor smaller than 44mm as the smaller sizes are not only clunky but wear too small for my tastes. Just my position and an certain that others will differ.

If I were to consider buying another PAM, it would be either a 914 or 915, probably a 915 since I like having small seconds at 9:00. Again that’s all MY preference and others will differ. WUS would be terminally boring if we all had the same preferences and liked the same things!

·
Premium Member
15,907 Posts
my very first Panerai was 159. nice watch but 1 month later, i regretted buying it .it ended up on my ex GF's wrist for a few months till i traded it up for a 44mm..( you'll find most people who bought the 40mm, sold it shortly after. this is an "expensive" lesson to learn. especially small size PAMs are hard to get rid of ).. it didn't have the Panerai Soul. felt small on the wrist in an odd way (maybe because the proportions) ..

Panerai should be bold and on the bigger size . IMO of course. that's what make them Unique, and collectors buy'em for their uniqueness.. if i were to do this all over again. i'd start off with a simple 2 handre (or w/ sub-second dial) hand wind Lumior, then branch out to different models and styles.
so take your time, study some Models, and choose carefully.. best of luck
This ^^^^^^^

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for the guidance..will have a look at larger sizes. My wrist size is right at 6.5” and fairly flat I think. The PAM88 is pretty cool with the silver subdial.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Those of you familiar with these watches...do these models really sit like a hockey puck due to the width/height ratio? Wish I could easily go try on a 40mm PAM but COVID is making it hard to walk into a store just to try something.
Can't help you with those 40mm watches as I can make a 47mm watch look small. Still, I do think the proportions of many of the downsized watches don't look quite right as they're too thick for the diameter.

I really would suggest you find one in a store and try it on. Some places are opening, and eventually you'll find one to try on. You'll also be able see for yourself how well the thickness works for you. If you're comfortable with your 42mm Omega I suspect you'll be able to wear a 44mm Panerai, especially since they're supposed to look large. But, if you normally wear 38-40mm watches then you may prefer a 40mm Panerai. Only you will know what looks right on your wrist.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I think it depends on not only the circumference of one’s wrist but more importantly the configuration of one’s wrist, whether flat or round.
Spot on! I changed my hand-to-wrist connectors to blued screws, and shaved my wrist bone down a few mm, so now the wrist configuration works better with a 44mm PAM233!

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Thank you all for the guidance..will have a look at larger sizes. My wrist size is right at 6.5” and fairly flat I think.
My first PAM was a 40 - the 241. And my wrist is only slightly larger than yours. The 40 was a good size for my wrist, but as I recall, the watch was approximately 15-16mm thick. If you wanted to display it, it was great, because a cuff couldn't pass it. Years later I moved up to a 1392, at 42mm. It still fits the wrist, but is more manageable in its wrist presence at approx. 13mm. If a 40mm fits you well, then you can likely fit a 42... But, that may simply depend on how you wear your watch.

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
Here is a 47mm 514 on my normal size wrist. I just love it. So elegant but with gravitas. The lugs turn down quickly making them very comfortable even at gargantuan sizes.

Cincy
20201023_132106_resized.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts