WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm considering buying my first Rolex. To be completely honest, the one Rolex that I always wanted to own was the Sea-Dweller, but since that's no longer available I'm tending towards the SS Submariner with date. (The no date is not an option for me.)

I own several automatics and use them in rotation, but know little about Rolex model numbers, available options and the like. For someone in my position, can you offer any advice about what to look for? Is it worth buying a new Sub, versus something pre-owned? My purchase won't be immediate or a matter of days so you can bear that in mind if it proves relevant.

Thanks!

·
Registered
139 Posts
The new Sub has some upgrades and notably a heftier bracelet. The SD is a classic, but the new Sub-Cs (ceramic bezel) should meet your needs as long as you're not anti-cyclops. I'd say the only knock on Subs is that they are well, common. You might want to consider mixing it up a bit. I like the black dial and green bezel for a change.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I've never been a Sub fan and have always considered the Sea-Dweller to be THE Rolex diver. Earlier this year I picked up this mint M-series SD and love it:

Because of its poor design, I would avoid any Rolex with the ceramic bezel.

The SD, being discontinued, is increasing in demand (and resale value). There are some nice late models out there if you know where to look.

Fr. John†

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
FWIW, in my opinion, for your first Rolex I would suggest purchasing new from an AD. Not so much the experience of purchasing from an AD; there's not much fanfare involved, but instead knowing that your Rolex is brand new, with stickers in place, all tags, and have the warranty card completed in your name. Many ADs will also provide you a written appraisal as part of the process for no charge which is convenient and helpful for insurance purposes.

The new Submariner features a redesigned and upgraded bracelet with the glidelock feature to allow for easy micro adjustments (i.e., when your wrist swells in heat/humiidty), a ceramic bezel, as well as a larger case. The cyclops also has an anti-reflective coating I believe, too. Should you want a dual-time feature, you may want to go the route of the GMTIIC which is similar in appearance to the Submariner with a ceramic bezel, but with the second-zone complication, polished center links on the bracelet (which is a matter of personal preference as they do tend to show scratches), and an updated bracelet which instead offers the easylink extension as opposed to the glidelock feature found on the Submariner. Both watches offer the date feature.

mike.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
If I was in your position - and admittedly I very much share your fondness for the Sea-Dweller - I would purchase just that (i.e., a pre-owned Sea-Dweller) for a few reasons.

(1) I prefer the no cyclops, which is arguably the biggest draw to the model,
(2) a pre-owned model is considerably more affordable, and will likely hold its value better in the future, and
(3) If you're patient and keep your eyes pealed, there are some available on the used market (often complete with boxes, tags and papers) in very good to excellent condition (so availability shouldn't be a major concern)

Hope this helps in some way.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One of the reasons I'm only now considering a Rolex has been my general aversion to the cyclops. For me, the SD is a perfect watch, a truly outstanding model, which is all the more special due to the lack of the cyclops, but due to the fact that it's discontinued, I am assuming that it's going to be insanely expensive to purchase used, compared to buying a new Sub. That being said, perhaps Fr. John has a good point. Can someone point me in the right direction?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts