WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Which AP RO Chrono-- italy pride or blue dial

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not really need a new watch but I have been eyeing two AP Royal Oak Chronographs that I believe are really impressive pieces. One is the Pride of Italy -- limited edition and the other is the blue dial, which is unfortunately boutique only. Part of my collection includes two APs--
AP Royal Oak Offshore Chrono and the Open-worked skeleton. I also own a VC overseas chrono that I have up for sale. Some my argue I should keep the VC Overseas Chrono and move on. But the VC does not sing to me. The other issue is whether or not there is too much redundancy with the AP Royal Oak Offshore (mine is black dial and red accents). I wonder if any own both an AP ROO and AP RO chrono ?

Thoughts in general? I also added a poll
I added a poll if choosing between the two AP RO chronos -- which do you prefer?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Neither for me, but that's because I have a (perhaps irrational) dislike of date windows at 4:30. I have the same pet peeve with the new VC Overseas chronograph, even more so since that one has a brand new movement. Why intentionally introduce that asymmetry in a new design? Anyway, YMMV...

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Mark you have an awesome collection and already have 2 beautiful AP's. As you know, we are brothers with our open worked skeleton AP's and I've thought of a second sporty design AP, such as a ceramic diver. But it seems these chronos may be redundant in your collection.
I'm sad to see you let go of the VC.
Have you thought about RM? Just throwing it out there.

Sent from my Zeitwerk

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RM as in Richard Mille? I saw some of their pieces at a Boutique in Las Vegas last week and I have visited an AD in the bay area. I have warmed to their watches but visibility is not optimal. I like the light weight of the titanium pieces. However I think they are so over priced.. not that any of these are reasonably priced. I like your JLC Duometre Chrono.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Both are great, me prefer the blue dial and bracelet

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
As I said on the other forum, I think you're daft — but if the VCO doesn't make you reach for it when you open the watch box, then maybe its time is over...however, for the sake of giving it a 6 month reprieve, why not invest in the bracelet and see if that changes the frequency with which you grab it.
The Tribute to Italy will still be around then, if you ultimately decide the Vacheron is surplus to requirement.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
RM as in Richard Mille? I saw some of their pieces at a Boutique in Las Vegas last week and I have visited an AD in the bay area. I have warmed to their watches but visibility is not optimal. I like the light weight of the titanium pieces. However I think they are so over priced.. not that any of these are reasonably priced. I like your JLC Duometre Chrono.
Thank you sir!
Yes I actually agree with you in that although RM is respectable, they are quite overpriced. I thought if money was no object, it may add a slant to your collection.
I'm with PJS below, changing the strap/bracelet often gives new life to a watch.
Interestingly, I always wear my VCO on strap. Do give the VC another try....I feel like you're breaking up with a girl that is really, really nice (although we know Nice often times doesn't always cut it).

As I said on the other forum, I think you're daft — but if the VCO doesn't make you reach for it when you open the watch box, then maybe its time is over...however, for the sake of giving it a 6 month reprieve, why not invest in the bracelet and see if changes the frequency with which you grab it.
The Tribute to Italy will still be around then, if you ultimately decide the Vacheron is surplus to requirement.
When I saw "daft", I thought British ;)
Good suggestion though :)

Sent from my Zeitwerk

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased and tried an OEM bracelet and while I liked it a bit more than the included straps.. Still did not sing to me and I sold the bracelet when I decided to sell the watch.

As I said on the other forum, I think you're daft — but if the VCO doesn't make you reach for it when you open the watch box, then maybe its time is over...however, for the sake of giving it a 6 month reprieve, why not invest in the bracelet and see if that changes the frequency with which you grab it.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Honestly-- if i was going to spend that kind of money-- on a single watch I would probably go in a different direction. Although i have warmed up to RM not really something I would go for at this time.

Thank you sir!
Yes I actually agree with you in that although RM is respectable, they are quite overpriced. I thought if money was no object, it may add a slant to your collection.
I'm with PJS below, changing the strap/bracelet often gives new life to a watch.
Interestingly, I always wear my VCO on strap. Do give the VC another try....I feel like you're breaking up with a girl that is really, really nice (although we know Nice often times doesn't always cut it).

When I saw "daft", I thought British ;)
Good suggestion though :)

Sent from my Zeitwerk

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Mark, you have 1 AP chrono, a VC chrono , Dato and now you want a add another Chrono ? :-s
I know that our decisions are not always totally rational, there is a lot of heart on them. So if
you want buy it on that fashion, I totally get it, and even though my preference on Royal Oak
is always gonna be bracelet (best bracelet in the market IMHO), in this case the pride of Italy
will balance your collection better with the silver dial.

Now if you want my rational opinion I would say skip this and get something else. b-)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HI Jorge and thanks.. Yes not always rational... many of us.. I also have the PP 5990 and 5960 chronos.. I am a big chrono fan.. i admit it. Need a chrono 12 step program
How many in your collection now?

Mark, you have 1 AP chrono, a VC chrono , Dato and now you want a add another Chrono ? :-s
I know that our decisions are not always totally rational, there is a lot of heart on them. So if
you want buy it on that fashion, I totally get it, and even though my preference on Royal Oak
is always gonna be bracelet (best bracelet in the market IMHO), in this case the pride of Italy
will balance your collection better with the silver dial.

Now if you want my rational opinion I would say skip this and get something else. b-)

·
Registered
94 Posts
i see many overlaps. I do have three genta design watches, but still not as similar as your collection. I would also suggest the same as Heuerrolezomega. Skip this and find something else. Maybe just a tad out of the norm that you would normally pick and out of your comfort zone.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kenkis Thanks.. I do have other pieces too.. I will take a little more time and think about it. I may just hold off for now.. still thinking. The other piece I have considered from time to time is the Rolex Deepsea blue. I love the dial. I am not a big Rolex fan though and have resisted purchasing

i see many overlaps. I do have three genta design watches, but still not as similar as your collection. I would also suggest the same as Heuerrolezomega. Skip this and find something else. Maybe just a tad out of the norm that you would normally pick and out of your comfort zone.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

·
Registered
371 Posts
Considering you have two APs already along with several other high end chronographs, perhaps consider something from FPJ or an independent watch maker like Hajime Asaoka?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I like how Blue is the new black. The choices you have in mind are all beautiful watches. I wouldn't kick off Rolex as a contender. Rolex may not be your style, it is a style on its own. I often justify my choice by reasons that is only occasionally true. I now just simplified that with, in what situation I would want this watch on my wrist. Rolex is on top of luxury sports watch for too many good reasons. If I'm going where I know I will be a little too comfortable, I will not wear 5712 or ROO but SD. Easy choice.

從我的iPhone使用Tapatalk 發送

·
Registered
514 Posts
The Lang and Heyne Albert Chronograph?
Lang and Heyne makes only 50 pcs per year. I love my Friedrich III to death.

I agree with others re: the fact that you have multiple APs. And it seems from your comments you have two Langes. So something new that virtually no one else has?

AlbertChrono.jpg

Reactions: theEntreriCode
1 - 20 of 30 Posts