WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Constellation band

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  aoresteen 
#1 ·
I just recieved my father's Constellation. He bought new in Beirut in 1965. The serial number checks out as 1964ish 21,271,362. It has a 561 movement and a case number of 168.004. It is a stainless steel model.

At present it has no strap. I measured the case lug diameter at 17.86mm so I assume it takes a 18mm size band.

Here's my question: Were the Constellations avaialble with a ss bracelet in 1965 or did they all come with leather straps? The case number indicates a strap but I would prefer to get an Omega SS bracelet. Would an Omgea 18mm 'Bead of Rice" SS bracelet fit this watch ok? Or should I stick with a leather strap? I woul prefer the SS bracelet. Thoughts?

Thanks!

#2 ·
Here is a pic from 1963.

But the constellation was mostly sold with leather bands
Here is some info about the model from Omega's vintage pages

Reference number: ST 168.004
MOVEMENT
Caliber number: 561
Created in 1958
24 jewels
Central sweep-second hand

DIAL
"De Luxe", with hand-rivetted gold hour markers and "Dauphine" gold hands.

CRYSTAL
Armoured hesalite

BRACELET
Leather

WATER RESISTANCE
30 meters

CASE
Stainless steel
Screw-in
Full metal

FUNCTIONS
Chronometer
Date

MORE PRODUCT INFORMATIONS
Case : round (35,5 mm diameter), "hidden" crown , screw-in case back with "O'ring" gasket.
For leather straps of 18 mm lug-size
International Collection: 1962-1965
Swiss retail price (1962) : CHF 395.-
Also available in 18K yellow or pink solid gold (BA or BB, CHF 980.- both), 14K solid yellow gold (BD, CHF 880.-), 18K solid white gold (BC, CHF 1'230.-), or in 14K yellow or pink goldcap with SS case back (CD or CE, CHF 475.- both).
JLM

Jon

#6 ·
Welcome

Welcome to WUS! It's always nice to keep them in the family. I'm sure you'll cherish this one for a very long time.

In addition to the photo Jon provided, I'd recommend you take a look at Steve's excellent old-omegas.com. He hosts a number of Omega brochures from that time period, showing Constellations on various straps and bracelets.

Here's a pic I found out on that world wide web, showing a similar Connie on the beads of rice, to show you how it looks.

Like Jon and Mamas, I think they look best on a strap, but it's always nice to have choices. It's amazing how much it can change the look and feel of a watch.

Enjoy!

eric

#7 ·
Omega usually sent out most of their Connies with a leather band, but supplied their ADs with a rage of optional extras. Beads of Rice were available in-shop for 168.005s but like most I like them best with leather.

A number of so-called NOS Beads of Rice come up from time to time - you even see them with bar codes (which werent in existence in the 60s). I have one authentic bracelet that was restored and another coming and I have it on a SS 168.005. Looks nice, but not as speccy as a 18K on a maroon lizard band.

Cheers
desmond

I just recieved my father's Constellation. He bought new in Beirut in 1965. The serial number checks out as 1964ish 21,271,362. It has a 561 movement and a case number of 168.004. It is a stainless steel model.

At present it has no strap. I measured the case lug diameter at 17.86mm so I assume it takes a 18mm size band.

Here's my question: Were the Constellations avaialble with a ss bracelet in 1965 or did they all come with leather straps? The case number indicates a strap but I would prefer to get an Omega SS bracelet. Would an Omgea 18mm 'Bead of Rice" SS bracelet fit this watch ok? Or should I stick with a leather strap? I woul prefer the SS bracelet. Thoughts?

Thanks!

#8 ·

Thanks!
Ofrei has Omega "replacement" beads of rice bracelets for $129 US in SS. The end pieces are an additional $18 I believe. They also carry a gold plated beads of rice for a few $$ more. I'm providing the link to the correct page because the Ofrei site can be a bit difficult to navigate even when you know what you seek!! http://www.ofrei.com/page582.html

#9 ·
Ofrei has Omega "replacement" beads of rice bracelets for $129 US in SS. The end pieces are an additional $18 I believe. They also carry a gold plated beads of rice for a few $$ more. I'm providing the link to the correct page because the Ofrei site can be a bit difficult to navigate even when you know what you seek!! http://www.ofrei.com/page582.html
Thanks! I have contacted them.

I put a temporary band on it and it is loosing time, about 5 minutes every three days. Any reccomendations on where to send it for a cleaning & timing?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.