WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Constellation Cal.504 Question....

4K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Edge of Midnight 
#1 ·
Hello Forum,

Have come across a 1958 Constellation ref 2943 2SC with a Cal.504 inside. It all looks in great condition but something doesn't seem right. From my research 2943 2SC Cal.504 is a Constellation Calendar with "Calendar" clearly marked on the dial, the one I have found does NOT have "Calendar".

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Can anyone clear this up for me? I'd really appreciate it if someone could.

Andy B.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmm interesting.

Not all cal 504s had Calendar, although it was usually on black guilloche dials that the calendar was absent. Note the lume dots on the dial. I would expect to see very degraded radium dots on a 504 and yet we are seeing reasonably clean lume. Dial finish indicates it may, I say may very tentatively, have been refinished. If it has been its one of the best refinishes of a cal 504 Ive seen.

Perhaps another pic that shows the finish of the dial, as I cant tell if the finish look is affected by crytal light reflections.

Script looks fine, but it's a bit suspect because of the lume.

Cheers

Desmond

#3 ·
Thanks Desmond, I have doubts about the dial too. My thought though was that the dial isn't refinished just borrowed from another reference like a 168.0010 maybe as the script ect. looks right for an origianl finish. I think I will give this one a miss unless anyone can come up with anything more conclusive.

Thanks.
Andy.

#5 ·
Is it possible that it's a service or replacement dial supplied by Omega. I restored a Connie last year and this was the dial that was the replacement from Omega for my model.

Before
Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

After
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Fashion accessory Jewellery

As you can see there are a couple of changes, not the least being the lack of a "faceted" date window. I think that the OP's dial may be one of these 'sevice dials'. Just a thought.

#6 ·
Hmm could be. Although the date surround on cal 504 dials looks very similar and isnt as deeply faceted as the later 561 dials. Feet on a cal 504 would not, I believe, fit the dial feet on a 561. Faceted baguette markers did appear of 504 dials too.

A side pic that may help see if the lettering is embossed or flat printed may be of help. Agree, may be an idea to move on and pic something that doesnt raise questions.

Cheers

Desmond

Is it possible that it's a service or replacement dial supplied by Omega. I restored a Connie last year and this was the dial that was the replacement from Omega for my model.

Before
View attachment 543773
After
View attachment 543774
As you can see there are a couple of changes, not the least being the lack of a "faceted" date window. I think that the OP's dial may be one of these 'sevice dials'. Just a thought.

#10 ·
My Black 504 2 tone calender says hi

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.