WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know, another one of those threads about what do you wear o|. I'm trying to make sure my first serious watch is the correct decision :think:. It is overwhelming when you are new to watches. I started a thread on this regarding an inside office position, but I moved to a new position.

I have decided on my dress/ classic watch; however, I need something for the field. I really like the Rolex Sub because it is rugged. The only problem is the black face does not match with the brown steel toe boots. I know this may be crazy to some, but sorry, I have to match. I am leaning towards the Rolex new white explorer II. What do you guys wear?

Thank you for viewing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Not one of the aforementioned professionals, but I do spend a lot of time in the field (I'm a safety guy) and when I'm out there, I wear a Seiko SKX007. It's quite rugged and if I do bang it up (which is inevitable), it doesn't hurt quite as much as if I damaged one of my pricier watches.

I know, another one of those threads about what do you wear o|. I'm trying to make sure my first serious watch is the correct decision :think:. It is overwhelming when you are new to watches. I started a thread on this regarding an inside office position, but I moved to a new position.

I have decided on my dress/ classic watch; however, I need something for the field. I really like the Rolex Sub because it is rugged. The only problem is the black face does not match with the brown steel toe boots. I know this may be crazy to some, but sorry, I have to match. I am leaning towards the Rolex new white explorer II. What do you guys wear?

Thank you for viewing.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it doesn't hurt quite as much as if I damaged one of my pricier watches.
This is exactly why I'm hesitate on the Rolex. With climbing ladders, climbing scaffold, tying off, carrying stuff, etc., the watch is surely going to get some scratches. I'm not fortunate enough to be beating up a $7k+ watch without concerns; therefore, you have a good
Point and something I should consider. Thank you for chiming in.

·
Registered
6,763 Posts
If I were a field engineer, something like this would be good (especially if you have to go hand-to hand combat with contractors):

Casio Men's DW-5600MS-1DR G-Shock Black Rubber Digital Dial Watch.jpg

G-Shock DW-5600MS-1DR

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Any watch will be fine.
Spend as much as you like.

Just ask yourself one simple question when you hand over your cash... If the watch gets damaged can you afford to repair/replace it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
My wife is a structural engineer, and goes into the field a few times a week. She wears a scratch proof Rado....still looks brand new!

Reactions: CitizenM

·
Registered
321 Posts
I'm a mechanical engineer and I go out for due diligences/capital funding and I wear my G-shock Riseman. I would not be able to forgive myself if I tear up a pricier watch.

Sent from my lucky rocketship underpants

·
Registered
578 Posts
I qualify, but I'm office based. I'd recommend this

Attachments

Reactions: big d 51

·
Registered
586 Posts
As a Technical training officer and operational Auditor in the heavy power Industry I do a lot of site Auditing and wear these 2 of and on.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Don't be a pussy.

Get the Rolex.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
What exactly do you do in your field? That makes a difference. Back when I worked in the oil field in Wyoming I spent hours a day swinging a 12 pound sledgehammer and I would never have worn anything other than quartz (I wasn't supposed to wear a watch at all, but seriously, am I going to be out there in the snow not knowing how far through a 14 hour shift I am?). The engineers on location on the other hand sat in a trailer and ran equipment. The only thing I might have recommended for one of them is something antimagnetic just in case they got too close to an electric motor. Possibly unlike jot_, our safety guys were prohibited from handling tools and could have worn anything they wanted as far as protecting their watches went.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
When in the field (Fossil and Nuclear Power Plants) I wear my Tissot quartz. Nice looking watch, rugged, keeps great time (quartz) and not ostentatious in the least.

Spend a lot of my time up and down scaffolding, in condensers (waterboxes) so I do not care to wear anything I'd be devastated to ruin. Plus, being around plant personnel, as well as my own crews, I do not wish to look "showy" by wearing anything too obviously costly.

Dan

·
Registered
647 Posts
I'm a forensic planner in construction and power industries and spend half my week on site. Although my boots are bout the only thing on me to get really dirty, I usually have my Aquaracer 500M with me. Dial colour apart in your case, i would have no problem wearing a Rolex either really. A colleague of mine works at the sharper end and he never takes his Sub off.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Wow, PLOPROF and Subs to wear around guys working their ass off and maybe making enough to survive? Seriously?

Have you no compassion for the common man? Or do you enjoy rubbing their nose in it?

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Wow, PLOPROF and Subs to wear around guys working their ass off and maybe making enough to survive? Seriously?

Have you no compassion for the common man? Or do you enjoy rubbing their nose in it?

So...where did the OP say where he was working that you worked out how much the guys he would be near would make ? Or do you see it that anyone who works a physical outdoors/field/contracting job always makes low money ? Weird.

I also don't get how wearing a nice watch would do this. If you're right about the income disparity between the OP and guys who are on site with him then surely they know of his higher income just because he turns up in a hard hat with a clip board and starts measuring stuff. His mere presence offends them, on your logic. Presume the OP does his job well and is not a jerk, I would be surprised if anybody wants to take the time and make the effort to care about what he has on his wrist.

Anyway to the OP I would say get yourself your g-shock of choice for sites/field work and rest easy. Makes no sense to bash up a nice watch if avoidable.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I fit that job description. Office based with occasional site visits. I'm also relatively young, and certainly relatively poor. I wear this:

2012-01-26_09-48-02_759.jpg

Why? I only own 3 watches, one of which is a wedding present from my wife that I'm not about to put in harms way, and another that has a dead battery :roll:

·
Registered
14,247 Posts
I wear a black faced Seiko quartz with a flex band and an aftermarket sapphire crystal. It will never fall off unintentionally and get my hands/fingers/arms ripped off. It is waterproof. The crystal is flawless no matter what I hit it on. The hands are highly visible against the black face. It is super reliable. And, if it gets destroyed and I'm lucky enough to not lose my arm in the process, it can be easily replaced.

This is similar:

re_image.jpg

·
Registered
194 Posts

I must say I don't agree. In the past when managing construction works on site, it was well recognised that the guys on the tools were making more than the managers. It's just the way it was and considering how hard the teams worked we had no complaints. I certainly was never pulled up for wearing a nice watch. Short measure the guys however and thats a different story. Lol

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Don't be a pussy.

Get the Rolex.

Looking past whether or not the langauge is suitable for mixed company, this is the coolest post I've seen on WUS. Rolex is crazy if they don't adopt that as an alternative tagline and use your photo in an add campaign. That photo destroys all others and makes the words work.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts