WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Zenith El Primero 36 000Vph, which I bought last Year. It´s still under warranty and is my only watch. Lately, I´ve been thinking about selling it because I feel it is not the perfect "one watch" for me. Also, the overlapping subdials have started to disturb and I feel that the dial is a bit too busy. I have developed a taste that leans more towards simple, understated watches.

What I really need is a watch that fits all occasions (dressy and sporty), but one that preferably would have a screw-down crown, date, possibly lume but not a must-have and looks equally good on bracelet or leather. Also, I´m not quite sure if black is the color I want, I usually find myself drooling over white-dial watches.

My budget is around 6000€ or ~8000usd. I have been seriously thinking about a Grand Seiko SGBH001 or SBGH083 (it´s cheaper, but black-faced which makes it a bit sportier). I have a trip coming up in July, when I will have the possibility to check the GS models. Also, a Rolex Datejust 2 would be nice but I hesitate owning a Rolex, my purpose is not to attain too much attention.
I have gone back and forth between different options such as an AT 8500, UN Maxi marine chronometer, JLC Master Compressor etc but, as this would be my only watch for many years to come, I want something a bit more unique. Also, what makes my decision a bit more complex is that my plan is within 5 years to own 2 watches, that suits sporty and dressy events. Therefore, I do not want anything in the middle. GS SBGH001 would therefore suit perfectly as an all-rounder but still represent the dressy piece in my collection when it´s time to buy my second watch.

I would be interested in some more suggestions in this price range. Pictures borrowed from the net. The last one is mine.

BR,

John

Attachments

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
People do not notice other peoples watches..
WIS are the exception to this rule. I have worn a Rolex for over 40 years,
and have only received 4 comments....Four in fourty years!!
No one in the real world cares about your watch....Wear what you like.

·
Banned
138 Posts
The mythical "one" watch. The same place that offers Ponce de León's anti aging elixir and gives rides to kids on unicorns sells those timepieces. I think the store is in Florida somewhere.

ps - I think you need to edit your signature. One lone watch does not constitute a collection. You need at least 3.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry but I fail to understand the meaning of Your post.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I'm sorry but I fail to understand the meaning of Your post.
I think he means, it's like potato chips..."You can't eat just one."
So, a WIS can't own one watch.

·
Registered
30,641 Posts
I say the ONE good watch you own is the one to handle every occasion. The better it is, the better it handles EVERYTHING.
Nice. Agree.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I think you're crazy to give up the Zenith. But, the seikos you linked are beautiful. Get one in addition to what you have, not as a replacement. And, if you're going to go GS, go spring drive.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Being surrounded by other watch enthusiasts on this forum made me way too paranoid about wearing a specific watch in certain settings when in reality, most people won't care or notice unless it's something super blingy or ostentatious.

Wear what you like to wherever you like. If it makes you happy then bingo, that's your one watch for all occasions. That being said, Grand Seiko's are one of my faves, superb in every way!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I have 14 to make the ONE watch and still not there. Do like we here do. Put the Zenith in the drawer and buy another watch, and another, and another...

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
You can get by with one watch for every occasion, I would say a nice diver fits this bill, only time it would really look out of place is in a real tux at the Opera or something. Most people never go to a true black tie affair, in your typical wedding tux rental the diver is fine.

If you're looking at Grand Seiko's, my choice would be the Grand Seiko Snowflake hands down. If I could only own one watch this would be it. A bit out of my budget though.

Pic complements of AZ Fine Time:

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I completely agree with you re the Zenith. I thought I was a lone voice on that front..

GS and DJ would be fine choices, but I would look at an Explorer (not an Explorer II).

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think most Zenith models compliment any collection but as a "one watch" model the lack of a screw down crown is their biggest shortfall IMO. I own a couple of vintage Zenith models and would be hard pressed to give one of them up. If I had to chose one do all watch it would be my vintage 5513 Submariner.

The Omega Aqua Terra is a great all around watch and the Grand Seiko's fit the bill too. The Snowflake dial is absolutely gorgeous..

·
Premium Member
63,902 Posts
LBF wasn't kidding when he said that no one notices your watch. I wore a Rolex for 20 years and all of 5 people noticed.

·
Premium Member
21,706 Posts
Rolex Submariner 114060.

Reactions: denmanproject
1 - 20 of 47 Posts