WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across these whilst browsing pilot watches and parts (bored, I blame myself...for being on Ebay at all, ugh)

I've never heard of this company, but SS cases, ETA movements... no heritage, in-house movement or veritable claim to fame I know of.

Am I missing something? Can anyone enlighten me or explain this?

Are there any other contenders for most over-priced watch out there?

Tourby Big Pilot for US Strike Fighters Weapons School Pacific Limited Edition | eBay

Tourby Around The World Complete Set Swiss Made ETA Unitas 6498 2 Hand Painted | eBay

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
You haven't heard or Tourby? Not sure why these are priced so high though, they're some of the best value watches out there.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I've heard of them from this forum and they do interesting pieces with old hamilton movements but pricing for those 2 pieces are definately abnormal.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You haven't heard or Tourby? Not sure why these are priced so high though, they're some of the best value watches out there.
Maybe previously could have been thought of as being "best value" ;-)

·
Registered
14,905 Posts
LOL OP funny stuff, those watches would cost under 1k to make, probably under 500 bucks, ridiculous price, oh well theres a sucker born every minute.
I think most high end watches are over priced.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you read the full ebay advertisement, it's not for a regular production Tourby, but a prototype:

"Up for sale is the Prototype of the US Navy School watch. The serial watches are only made for the US Navy School (Leemore, California) and all of them have a customized (top secret) serial number hand engraved on the side of the watch case. The Prototype watch was made blank (without numbers) for testing and controls only. The Protoype watch has no flaws or dings. It is only used for testing and controls (tested for time keeping, water resistance, vaccum test, pressure test, low pressure test, anti-magnetic, temperature test, shock-proof etc, scratch-proof etc.). The prototype watch completed all tests successfully and was even better than expected."

So accepted on face value one would assume the watch for sale is a one of a kind.

Now whether a prototype watch from a fairly obscure (or atleast it's obscure to me) brand is worth $100,000 is how shall I say, in the eye of the beholder?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think most high end watches are over priced.
You guys will probably think I'm trolling, but I'm not, honest to God. I was looking at this picture the other day:

... and with the white second hand sticking out like a sore thumb, the dorky other two hands, the ill-fitting date, the cramped dial, and the very unremarkable rubber band, I thought to myself, are people really paying that sort of money for this? And would they if they didn't think they had to?

I know this has been discussed over and over, but this is the first time I found a watch to really encompass what to me was only a general belief before. For the record, I actually like the Aquanaut and I'd wear one, but only if it cost a couple of thousand, and if it were a quartz, but that's a different story ... except it isn't, because to me, it looks like a quartz (which is a good thing for me, but I'm surprised it is for the target audience as well).

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You guys will probably think I'm trolling, but I'm not, honest to God. I was looking at this picture the other day:

... and with the white second hand sticking out like a sore thumb, the dorky other two hands, the ill-fitting date, the cramped dial, and the very unremarkable rubber band, I thought to myself, are people really paying that sort of money for this? And would they if they didn't think they had to?

I know this has been discussed over and over, but this is the first time I found a watch to really encompass what to me was only a general belief before. For the record, I actually like the Aquanaut and I'd wear one, but only if it cost a couple of thousand, and if it were a quartz, but that's a different story ... except it isn't, because to me, it looks like a quartz (which is a good thing for me, but I'm surprised it is for the target audience as well).
Georgie Soros may disagree with you. Though money does not necessarily equate to style or taste.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you read the full ebay advertisement, it's not for a regular production Tourby, but a prototype:

"Up for sale is the Prototype of the US Navy School watch. The serial watches are only made for the US Navy School (Leemore, California) and all of them have a customized (top secret) serial number hand engraved on the side of the watch case. The Prototype watch was made blank (without numbers) for testing and controls only. The Protoype watch has no flaws or dings. It is only used for testing and controls (tested for time keeping, water resistance, vaccum test, pressure test, low pressure test, anti-magnetic, temperature test, shock-proof etc, scratch-proof etc.). The prototype watch completed all tests successfully and was even better than expected."

So accepted on face value one would assume the watch for sale is a one of a kind.

Now whether a prototype watch from a fairly obscure (or atleast it's obscure to me) brand is worth $100,000 is how shall I say, in the eye of the beholder?
100%!

BTW if anyone's interested, I have a bridge for sale. I give good price.

·
Registered
606 Posts
What Tourby doesn't seem to realize is that they aren't a collectable brand and that they're embaracing themselves with this pricing.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Cheap marketing ploy...."I saw a Tourby watch for$100,000. on E-Bay!"
Gets there name out to the public...now many will look at all the Tourby
lineup and say,"I can get one for $1,500. and it's a real Tourby, like that $100,000. one".

Reactions: Likestheshiny

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheap marketing ploy...."I saw a Tourby watch for$100,000. on E-Bay!"
Gets there name out to the public...now many will look at all the Tourby
lineup and say,"I can get one for $1,500. and it's a real Tourby, like that $100,000. one".
Id say $1500 is still 50% more than theyre worth

·
Registered
14,905 Posts

I read the whole description, prototype shmototype, what a load of dribble from the sellers, even if it is a proto, 100k??? LOL maybe worth 2k at best, imo the ad is fishing for some idiot out there with more money than sense, and the chances they will find one are pretty high imo, theres plenty out there.
cheers

·
Banned
5,646 Posts
Tourby make some really lovely marine watches, eg

tourby in b case.JPG

There's a lot of custom options available, all sensibly priced. The movements can be very nicely decorated etc

·
Registered
9,883 Posts

You should look at the newer 5167 it is 40mm and has much better proportions to my eyes. If you don't like the look of the rubber strap it comes on bracelet, which is what I opted for but I doubt that will change the value proposition in your eyes since the price for the 5167 with bracelet over the rubber strap version is more than you are willing to spend on the watch. I am one that doesn't think the Aquanaut is overpriced, it is by far my favorite watch that I own (but not the most expensive). It is OK in the end because my wife (a WIS in her own right) said of the Aquanaut when it arrived "you paid what for that?". Funny not she begs to wear it and as a result of the comment it is the only watch of mine I won't let her wear...yet.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
imo the ad is fishing for some idiot out there with more money than sense, and the chances they will find one are pretty high imo, theres plenty out there.
cheers
The ad is fishing for interest in the brand, nothing but VERY inexpensive marketing. This thread is an example of how it has introduced the brand to more people for the price of a listing fee (less than a buck). The make some very nice reasonably priced watches and they may sell a couple for the few cents they spent.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts

I agree, that is perhaps one of the uglier version of aquanaut or PP. Stainless steel pateks are probably one of the most overpriced watches in the industry. Then again, try to buy one at list price and you'll be lucky to find one without a waiting list.

However, a $100k PP is worlds apart from a $100k tourby.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The ad is fishing fr interest in the brand, nothing but VERY inexpensive marketing. This thread is an example of how it has introduced the brand to more people for the price of a listing fee (less than a buck). The make some very nice reasonably priced watches and they may sell a couple for the few cents they spent.
If I were looking for a cheap pilot watch Id now go stowa, laco or even steinhart over tourby, not only because laco and stowa have some history but purely out of principal. This marketing ploy reeks of invictaism.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts

100% agree with you! I can't understand the love for this watch (or the nautilus for that matter) it looks a mess to me, without patek on the dial it wouldn't ever be talked about. I get it's about personal taste and can normally understand why people would like something, but really can't with this. (Sorry not meaning to offend, just my honest opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts