WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.dcjewelers.com/

After signing up at WUS and asking for a great Omega dealer, it was suggested I use CJ (continental jewelers).. I called and spoke with jim, the owner. We had a great conversation and Jim put my mind at ease that the planet ocean he had was infact in perfect condition, or 'factory fresh' by Jims description with FULL factory omega warranty (more information about the complete lack of factory warranty is described later).

Skip to the delivery (pictures of damage posted below); Omega Planet Ocean arrives in scratched and damaged condition. Deep gouge on case back looks to be slipped tool perhaps attempted opening of watch back (why try to open new watch?)? Case side has dent in brushed finish (first watch sent, pics 1 and 2).. Jim makes me pay to ship damaged watch back to him, and pay to ship the 2nd replacement watch back to me. Replacement watch has dented case too (pic #3) - even though I told Jim to look watch over carefully before shipping it out; and I make VERY clear IF it has damage too - just refund my $$$, dont charge me more $$ to just send me more damaged watches! Jim sent out lemon damaged watch # 2 right away! GREAT!! So, Jim finally offers to refund my $ minus shipping costs once I ship the second damaged watch back to him. Jim offers no reasonable explination why neither of the watches he sent me were 'factory fresh'. Jim never mentions any QC problem at omega before or during purchase, but now Jim makes damages seem reasonable and even 'expected', and not his fault, because Omega qc is "horrible!" I then find out from omega directly (Andy @ Omega USA) that Jim LOST his authorized dealer status (Jim didnt have the option to 'discontinue' Omega as he claims, Omega dropped Jim as AD) for omega years ago. Jim has no way to offer ANY factory warranty on KNOWN grey market watches. Jim swears all his grey market omegas carry a full factory warranty reguardless of them being KNOWN grey market.

Jim at continental jewelers admitted to me that he probably scratched my new po 2500 himself while sizing (as if that would somehow make the damage acceptable to me? this attempt after the whole omega qc sucks and the watches come that way! Well which is it then Jimmy?). Jim didnt size my second replacement PO 2500 to avoid possibly damaging it while sizing it himself?! HUH?!?!? But the second watch was damaged also...

Jim never paid me back a dime to reship any of his damaged junk back. I had that pleasure all to myself. East coast USA, to Hawaii, four shipments, with nothing in end to show except large lost shipping fees and a kick in the teeth.

I asked Jim to look over the second replacement watch but apparently that was too much trouble... or Jim never had what he claimed to have originally at point of purchase (undamaged watches WITH factory warranty) because Jim never did deliver anything to me, and instead offered a refund rather than honor the original agreement/purchase.

Since my bad deal with Jim, I have read of multiple WUS members getting damaged watches from Jim. Two WUS members also contacted me by PM to add to the list of unhappy customers with damaged omega watches from Jim. So my experience is hardly a isolated incident. More like a trend and known quantity as of 7.12.2012. Others might have had good luck with Jim, but after 2 lemons and a couple hundred in shipping charges I know all I need to about Jim @ Continental jewelers. Time to sign up for yelp account so others can make a educated buying decision without having to endure what I did.

Oh yea. It took nearly 4 weeks for my credit card to be credited back AFTER the last watch was returned, while Jim took my payment instantly.

Jim might be old, Jims eyesight might be poor, Jim might be likeable, and Jim might give good discounts on DAMAGED/Blemished second hand display/returns on GREY market Omega WITHOUT factory warranty. What any of that has to do with sending damaged watches that are described as perfect & factory fresh WITH FACTORY WARRANTY, has about as much to do with honesty - as the price of rice in China.

You can say its raining while pissing on me but at some point I see its yellow color that stinks like cat urine not cold clean water from the clouds you claim....

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know the thread hasn't been touched in over 6 months but curious as to what others have seen from Continental. I have read many reviews on them, almost all of them very positive, but this review has me nervous. I live in the DC area and plan on going there to purchase a Speedmaster in the near future, and Jim's discount is still very good. Is he no longer an AD? Should I be worried about buying from him? Any comments/feedback would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought my Speedy Moon from Jim last october when I went to US for a vacation trip and I am very satisfied. Jim attended me very kindly, gave me a good price and the watch was perfect: no dents, no marks, all the papers including warranty card ok.
I have no complains and I has the intention to make business with him again soon.

regards

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
wow from a AD, totally unacceptable behavior

Just to think of the money spent too...I would have gone &^%$ ballistic :-x

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
All of my new Omegas have come from Continental for 10 years. Most recently, I got the "First Omega on Space" from him. Nothing but first class customer service.

Check out the Yelp reviews for Continental Jewelers in DC.

I also suggest you call Jim the owner and get his side of the OP's story.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just purchased an orange bezel xl 2500 PO from continental - Jim ( he has only one more left, btw). First rate service, flawless watch with a factory warranty (card has an authorized dealer name on it, another jeweler) and a price that could not be beat. Ace doesn't ship to the USA. Jim checked out the watch before he sent it to me and it arrived Ted to the second. My second omega from Jim and won't be my last. He just signed a new lease, so at 80 years old he is still going strong and "is having too much fun to retire". Also, I called the store on a Saturday and he even picked up although his store was closed. He has his calls forwarded to his cell phone when he's not there! First rate all the way.

·
Registered
170 Posts
He's not an AD anymore for Omega. He still manages to get factory warrantied Omegas though.
This has me puzzled. I'm considering buying a new Omega and was referred to him. Will Omega honor a "warranty" on a watch sold grey market, even if that watch came with a warranty card?

·
Registered
25 Posts
This has me puzzled. I'm considering buying a new Omega and was referred to him. Will Omega honor a "warranty" on a watch sold grey market, even if that watch came with a warranty card?
Yes! They are not grey market watches. They come with warranty cards from actual authorized dealers, or at least they were ADs when Omega initially shipped them so they will honor warranty work if needed. Just call Jim and ask him - he's a great guy. My planet oceans warranty card had an AD in Pennsylvania printed on the card.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I purchased my speedy from Jim in 2009 and Omega straps later, as well. He has always been a gentleman to me...and prices are great. No problems whatsoever. He even takes the time to answer my somewhat longwinded questions when I call occasionally. I recommend him.

That said, I did hear he wasn't an Omega AD anymore. No idea why. As for the first post, that is a terrible story, but I am very surprised to hear that Jim would treat a watch or a person like that.

Josh

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry can't add to the watch experience since I never bought a watch from Jim. But I have bought numerous straps and clasps and have never had any complaint. He is responsive, patient and knowledgeable. His prices are simply outrageously low compared to the mark up I see everywhere else. Agreed he is getting older so you will need to be clear and patient with your transaction. I would also explain your concerns and hear the response. I am a major pain in the a** when it comes to service, what I get now from almost any service provider is frustrating but Jim is simply of the old school and a breath of fresh air.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just bought a FOIS (Moonwatch Numbered Edition 39.7mm) from Jim, on recommendation from another Omega collector I trust, and had a very positive experience. When I asked why he was no longer an Omega AD, he explained that when Omega opened a boutique in DC, they nixed many (perhaps all) ADs in the area. I think that is very plausible from the experience here in Chicago.

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
Just bought a FOIS (Moonwatch Numbered Edition 39.7mm) from Jim, on recommendation from another Omega collector I trust, and had a very positive experience. When I asked why he was no longer an Omega AD, he explained that when Omega opened a boutique in DC, they nixed many (perhaps all) ADs in the area. I think that is very plausible from the experience here in Chicago.
That's not surprising in light of this: http://watchtime.at/archive/wt_2011_03/WT_2011_03_108.pdf. AFAIK, Lillenquist and Lenkersdorfer (sister stores within the same corporate organization, but a local chain nonetheless) are still Omega ADs.

I also have had positive experiences with Continental, though it's been a long time since I did any business with them for watches.

All the best.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone! My thanks to you all for the information that I've read so far regarding Continental Jewelers. I am considering a purchase from them, but as another user posted was nervous. Any feedback positive or negative is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Is Jim still in business? I bought a couple pieces from him. Looking for a sub though. I will call him to check in. Been awhile since I've talked to him.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts