WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Absolutely stunningly superb - can you give more (lots more!) details!?

·
Registered
164 Posts
very very nice! been on the look out for one for myself, did you convert yourself or have it done if so by whome?

·
Registered
164 Posts
thanks, i have seen some of his watches befor, i would prefer an american watch conversion i will keep an eye on him, oh and yous is nicer than the one he has for sale

·
Registered
37 Posts
Skydata-

My brother bought the watch you mention above as currently for sale (it is now sold!). Actually, I bought it for him because he doesn't have a paypal account.

Did your watch come from that seller with a strap? If so, how long was it? The reason I ask is that my younger brother has an 8" wrist and he's a bit concerned that there will not be enough strap for the watch. If it is too short, like you, he'll be looking for someone to make a longer one for him.

What do you think the story is with these watches? I note there are several "factory" Omega large watches based on the pocket watch movements currently being sold out of Eastern Europe. It is interesting that yours and my brother's obviously converted watches are out of Brazil. Do you think the conversion was done in Brazil or do you think these are European conversions that somehow made their way into Brazil. You will note that my brother's watch has the military dial. The seller hints at a military purpose for these larger watches and that makes a lot of sense as they would have been larger and easier to read for aviation or naval use. There are a number of these conversions and factory made extra-large watches using movements and cases from a wide variety of manufacturers, indicating that such factory or watchmaker conversions were quite popular during WW 1 and through war years of WW 2.

One might imagine that such large watches were not favored by the infantry because they might get in the way of their daily routine, but for naval or aviation uses, the large, easy to read dials would have proven to be a great advantage.

It has been suggested by some that these watches are recent conversions or made up watches. While that may be true of those bearing fake military markings, I can't imagine this is likely with your watch or my brother's watch because I don't see that there is any real value added by the conversion, in fact, it is very likely that original condition pocket watch would be worth as much if not more than one that had been converted to wear on the wrist. Also the dials cases and movements are all Omega marked. It seems more likely that these conversions like yours and that of my brother's watch were "period" conversions and done for the sake of utility rather than more recent "made up" watches. What are your thoughts?

Thanks Doug

Photo of my brother's watch, hopefully on the way to him this week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have made mny good points about these conversions, i have had many emails from ecafe4-u about these watches, apparently he has a watch smith who does the conversions for him and then sends them off to have straps made, the straps are not that good poor quality leather, but the conversions are very good and the one i bought has had a full service and keeps great time +/- 2 seconds a day which is very good for the year of the watch,

Regarding the straps it is worth getting one or two made with deployant or bigger buckles as it realy lifts the presence of the watch, changing them over only takes a few minutes, i got mine made by a guy in the USA he sent me sample pictures of the leather he has and i chose from them the burgandy one came from a 1940's doctors case and realy is better in the hand than in the pictures,they where not that cheap they cost $300.00 plus shipping which included the streile deployant buckles, i sent the strap off as a template for him to use and the came out great, the only thing i can suggest is try the watch on and see how it fits and then get the straps made and make them longer if required, if you would like the email add of Zack the guy who made mine just let me know and i will forward it on to you. just one thing if you get the best quality strap you can afford it makes all of the difference.

I also used a cape cod cloth on the case, it brought it up fantastic, is the dial on that one porcelain if it is it's in great condition, you will not be disapointed whith this one there is plenty of movement for the strap on the retaining bars that was one of my concerns about the conversion,

Please keep me posted with pictures and any updates on what your brother decides to do with the straps ect ect, i find these projects so interesting, good luck cheers jim

·
Registered
37 Posts
Jim-

Thank you very much! I have been in touch with the seller of the watch and it never dawned on me to simply ask if this was a recent or old conversion! From what you have learned, it looks like my reasoning was all wrong and that these are actually recent conversions.

Unlike my younger brother, I have a small wrist and a 33mm watch actually looks pretty good on me. But my brother is a large man (6' 3") and he has large wrists, so most vintage watches look like womens' watches on his wrist. Also, as it is very evident, larger watches are all the rage these days. The conversion of a pocket watch makes perfect sense for someone like him, who has a passion for watches (in particular vintage watches). The large dials make for easy reading and in this watch, form follows function, I find it comical that many of today's fashion watches are nothing more than large cases---and in quartz often these cases house movements the size of a dime.

What you have done with your watch is absolutely stunning. The added bonus is having an Omega watch that keeps such remarkably good time, the watchmaker obviously is very skilled and I hope my brother is equally blessed as you by a good time keeper.

I know my brother is very excited to have the watch and from what I can tell, these watch conversions are selling fast and for increasingly large sums of money. I am not sure if that is driven by fashion, or collector interest, but most likely a combination of the two.

Take care and thanks for taking the time to respond. When my brother gets his watch, I'll ask him his toughts on the dial and strap.

Doug

1 - 9 of 9 Posts