WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've never really been into G-Shocks...I always thought they were a little too "techy" looking for me. However, recently I've started looking at them and I'm amazed at all of the features they have! I'm a desk driver full-time and a part-time pilot (soon to be instructor). I've always worn a Citizen Nighthawk when I flew because of the flight computer (which I actually use from time to time, but it's not a necessity).

So my question is, what would you guys recommend for my first G-Shock to use while flying? Here are the features I'd like to have:

Easy to read in low light (good backlight)
Multiple time zones (preferrably two on the main display if possible)
Stopwatch
Countdown timer
Alarm (I only care about this if it is loud enough to be useful)
Not too "techy" looking (subjective, I know)
Day/date

I want to keep the price reasonable since I'm not 100% sure I'm going to want to keep it, let's say around $100. What do you G-guys think? Convert me!

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
So I've never really been into G-Shocks...I always thought they were a little too "techy" looking for me. However, recently I've started looking at them and I'm amazed at all of the features they have! I'm a desk driver full-time and a part-time pilot (soon to be instructor). I've always worn a Citizen Nighthawk when I flew because of the flight computer (which I actually use from time to time, but it's not a necessity).

So my question is, what would you guys recommend for my first G-Shock to use while flying? Here are the features I'd like to have:

Easy to read in low light (good backlight)
Multiple time zones (preferrably two on the main display if possible)
Stopwatch
Countdown timer
Alarm (I only care about this if it is loud enough to be useful)
Not too "techy" looking (subjective, I know)
Day/date

I want to keep the price reasonable since I'm not 100% sure I'm going to want to keep it, let's say around $100. What do you G-guys think? Convert me!

Can't convince you but if you're looking for one that fits all those features (worldtime feature displays home time and other TZ at the same time) I'd say go with the G-5600. Solar so you can use the auto EL if you need it. Smaller than most G's but has that classic look.

Kev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion! I think I like the newer look a little better, the mroe round ones like this:

(Not necessarily just like this, this was just the first random image I found with the basic design I like)

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Those ar good basic models but the EL can't be switched to auto, which would allow you to tilt the watch towards you to turn on the EL. Plus not solar, which really isn't so much a concern if you're not a heavy EL user.

Kev

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
@ suuto,

I recommend my all time favorite: G-2300/G-2310. one of the most advanced basic models available, very tough, very good timekeeping (gain is usually less then 4 seconds per month) und pretty cheap to get for around 50 US$.

although I'm very aware the 5600 series is VERY popular in this forum, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it is a fine watch, but it lacks the fifth (light) button. I can imagine you wear gloves while you fly and to press the tiny light button on the side is much harder than to find the light button on top of the watch (under the crystal). it might only a small issue for some people but for me is the lack of the fifth button a 100% no-go as well as the lack of a countdown-timer. of course you can always use the auto el-backlight function as well, but it costs quite a bit energy and is not recommended when a non-tough-solar model is used.

regards, holger

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
@ suuto,

I recommend my all time favorite: G-2300/G-2310. one of the most advanced basic models available, very tough, very good timekeeping (gain is usually less then 4 seconds per month) und pretty cheap to get for around 50 US$.

although I'm very aware the 5600 series is VERY popular in this forum, I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it is a fine watch, but it lacks the fifth (light) button. I can imagine you wear gloves while you fly and to press the tiny light button on the side is much harder than to find the light button on top of the watch (under the crystal). it might only a small issue for some people but for me is the lack of the fifth button a 100% no-go as well as the lack of a countdown-timer. of course you can always use the auto el-backlight function as well, but it costs quite a bit energy and is not recommended when a non-tough-solar model is used.

regards, holger
The G-5600 has a 100hr CDT. :-!
Kev

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are there any retail stores that are good for getting a G-Shock? I know Target sells them...are their prices reasonable or is it typical MSRP stuff that doesn't compete with online sellers?

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
for loud alarm (i mean LOUD), i can only recommend Omega X-33. i haven't owned one (yet :p ), but i don't think you can find anything else around you that will be as loud (maybe except for an angry wife scream in your ear, LOL) and the X-33 fits all the other criteria as well, except for the price :p but hey, if you want a nice flying instrument, that's the one to have :)

for G-Shocks, most are with *decent* alarm. they are not exceptionally loud, but they are loud enough (in most situation). and (in most current/modern G-Shock), you can set the EL to flash when the alarm rings, so that you can have a visual alert as well. i don't think vibration alarm will work well cause the vibration is not that strong and i would imagine there would be quite some other vibrate when you are up in the air flying.

anyway, i don't quite remember which G-Shock has the local time in the world time mode (i think wademan is one of them, but its out of your price range and quite funky looking anyway). according to your criteria, i would ditto on holger's choice of G2300/2310, they are just feature rich solid work horse.

also you can look at G2900 for 10 year battery, G600 and G601 for digial analog combo (and they call that cockpit series as well :p ), GW500/530 and GW056 for added atomic sync feature.

have fun :)

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Are there any retail stores that are good for getting a G-Shock? I know Target sells them...are their prices reasonable or is it typical MSRP stuff that doesn't compete with online sellers?
well, I don't know about the situation in the US, but over here in Germany it is WAY to expensive to buy a G in a store and very often from ebay.de too heck, I even can order 3 watches from ebay.com with all shipping charges and possible taxes (customs) that I would pay for one in a store.:roll:

if you don't like to buy via ebay, I also can recommend 4-watches.com. according to alot positive feedback in this forum, hbwatches.com should do also very fine.

regards, holger

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sutto, in the States you can find good G's at JCPennys, Target, Sears, ect..... But if you are looking for a certain G then type it in your computer and it will most likely pop up. Good Luck

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, after some brief research and taking into account the tips you all gave I went ahead and ordered a G-2310-1V! I'm not sure if it has all of the features I wanted but it seems to have most and for $54 you can't beat it! I'll post pics and a "Noob Review" when I get it.

·
G-Shock Mod
14,197 Posts
that's a fine choice

and actually, you CAN beat it ... with a stick and it will come back and ask for more :-d

·
Registered
774 Posts
go the pro trek and great watch with all the features
hers the site

• Electro-luminescent backlight
Full auto EL light, afterglow
• Solar powered
• Low-temperature resistant (-10 °C/14 °F)
• Digital compass
Measures and displays direction as one of 16 points
Measuring range: 0 to 359 °
Measuring unit: 1 °
20 seconds continuous measurement
Graphic direction pointer
Bidirectional calibration and northerly calibration function

• Altimeter
Measuring range: -700 to 10,000 m (-2,300 to 32,800 ft.)
Measuring unit: 5 m (20 ft.)
Auto memory measurements (up to 40 records, each including altitude, month, date, time)
High Altitude / Low Altitude Memory
Cumulative Ascent / Descent Memory
Relative Altitude Display
Altitude Tendency Graph
Altitude Differential Graphic
Altitude alarm
*Changeover between meters (m) and feet (ft.)

• Barometer
Display range: 260 to 1,100 hPa (7.65 to 32.45 inHg)
Display unit: 1 hPa (0.05 inHg)
Atmospheric pressure tendency graph
Atmospheric pressure differential graphic
*Changeover between hPa and inHg

• Thermometer
Display range: -10 to 60 °C (14 to 140 °F)
Display unit: 0.1 °C (0.2 °F)
*Changeover between Celsius (°C) and Fahrenheit (°F)

Watch functions:

• Duplex LC display
• World time
29 time zones (30 cities), city code display, daylight saving on/off
• 1/100-second stopwatch
Measuring capacity: 9:59'59.99''
Measuring modes: Elapsed time, split time, 1st-2nd place times
• Countdown timer
Measuring unit: 1 second
Countdown range: 60 minutes
Countdown start time setting range: 1 to 60 minutes (1-minute increments)
Others: Auto-repeat, progress beeper
• Daily alarms
5 independent daily alarms
• Hourly time signal
• Battery power indicator
• Power save function (automatically disables LCD if the watch is left in the dark for approximately 60 to 70 minutes, and sensor measurements if the watch is left in the dark for six or seven days)
• Auto-calendar (to year 2099)
• 12/24-hour format
• Regular timekeeping: Hour, minutes, seconds, pm, month, date, day
• Accuracy: ±15 seconds per month
• Approx. battery operating time: 6 months on Rechargeable Battery (Operating period with normal use without exposure to light after full charge)
21.5 months on Rechargeable Battery (Operating period when stored in total darkness with the Power Save function ON after full charge) http://www.sporttek.co.uk/prg-80-4.jpg

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
I'm not sure if it has all of the features I wanted but it seems to have most and for $54 you can't beat it!
The only slight drawback is that it has the 'short' list of time zones, but that's hardly important. A great watch at a great price.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Well, after some brief research and taking into account the tips you all gave I went ahead and ordered a G-2310-1V! I'm not sure if it has all of the features I wanted but it seems to have most and for $54 you can't beat it! I'll post pics and a "Noob Review" when I get it.
that is a great decision you made, congratulations. I am quite certain you will find out soon, that it is one hell of a watch, probably one of the best you ever had. I really looking foward to your review, its always interesting to read from someone who wasn't envolved with G-shock's before and therefore is less prejudiced than we might be.

regards, holger

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Hi! I'm new to the forum. With regards to pushing a button, my Froggy has the neat feature of auto-light which, when set, allows the light to turn on when you look at it at the usual wrist angle. I thought my watch was defective when I got it 'cause I monkeyed around with it before reading the instructions, enabled the auto thing, and then wondered why my watch randomly lit up. Ahem. Anyway, feature is handy in the water.
Regards,
P

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
You don't need a G-shock, they're over-rated and pointless**

**Obvious attempt at reverse psychology.;-) :-d . Get one and you'll never look back.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts