WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always wanted but never felt able to justify the expense of an automatic Swiss watch. I am now in a situation where I am ready to do so, and am trying to decide what to buy. I posted a message on the general forum but haven't got any response so I decided to go the more specific route and TH is one on my list.

Apart from my personal taste in style (simple/elegant) my two primary goals for a watch is that it be accurate (as much as one can expect a mechanical watch to be) and reliable. I am looking for a watch for daily wear, which for me consists primarily of office work. I don't engage in any extreme sports, and would take the watch off for anything "rough", such as gardening, mechanical work, etc. While I would like the watch to be water resistant enough that I don't need to be concerned in the rain or while washing my hands I would take it of during swimming or showering.

My budget is in the $1500-2500 range and I am also considering watches from the Oris, Longines, and Baume & Mercier lines. For you TH fans, what advantages does TAG have over the competitors I've listed, considering my stated goals? Any other brands I should consider?

Also, I'm intrigued by the idea of a crystal back so I can see the inner workings. Any concerns/disadvantages I should consider there?

Thanks for reading,

David

·
Registered
26 Posts
In the price range that you are looking at, the main thing to take into account is that you purchase a watch that you will be happy to look at every day for a long time.
You will find every brand has its followers as well as its detracters. In reality each brand has its place in the watch universe usually by balancing the quality, brand name and price.
For me, i wear the watch for my enjoyment not for others to look at and admire etc (maybe i'm just selfish like that).
Good luck with your decision and do post what you go with in the end.

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Each of the brands you mention will serve you well and are close in quality. One thing I will warn about is getting a watch becasue it might be a few hundred less than the one you really want.

The Oris TT1, Longines master series, and B&M Riviera are my favorites. If you choose a TAG, look at the Link series as it is sporty and elegant and is 200m water resistant.

The best thing to do is try them on. What looks good on computer may not look/feel good on the wrist.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Both Wikkid and WP speak words of wisdom.

I was in your situation a couple of month ago and decided to go to a few ADs to try out different watches that caught my attention and were in my price range. Once I decided that TAG Heuer would be the brand I would select (mainly because of their design and the fact that my grand-father wore a Heuer for many years), I narrowed down my options to three models.

I finally opted for a Carrera Chrono Tachy CV2014.BA0786 (SS bracelet). I find it elegant yet sporty, it is 100m resistant (I know I'll never dive that deep anyway), feels very comfortable on my rather slim wrist, and keeps great time (+2 seconds / 48 h.) And wearing an automatic with a see-thru backcase builds some kind of relationship between you and the timepiece. You actually see (and faintly hear) your every move have an impact on the mechanical elements of your watch. Priceless.

I would suggest you go to your local AD and try on watches from the brands you mentioned. I'm sure you one will stand out from the others...

And don't forget to tell us what you finally selected.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate the words of advice, especially the one that "you will be looking at it for a long time".

One disadvantage I have is that I live in the boondocks of Vermont - the most "local" ADs of any fine watch are between 2-3 hours drive away...

I will gladly let you know my final decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
DON'T BUY ONE!!!

trying some reversed psicology! :D :D

i was in the same budget and i was looking for a watch for a long long long time, also to be my 1st automatic and something reliable and durable for a daily watch.
I bought the watch in my signature, maybe u like it as well.
The movement is visible on the backside.

I loved the looks of some riviera models of B&M, i didn't know people in America knew much B&M, thought it was trendy only in Europe..

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
If budget is a major concern then Longines is the best bang for the buck out there. All watches use tried and true ETA movements. You will end up paying at least $500 less than a comparable TAG, and you will have a better watch IMO.

TAG make great pieces, but you definitely pay for the name. The "must have" TAGs for me are above the $2k mark.

Oris make nice watches, but they are using Sellita movements in their non chronograph watches (so is TAG), so that takes it down a notch for me.

B&M have some nice watches. I cant come up with a reason not to get one. They are on the higher end of your pricing limit though.

Advantage: Longines

But the best advice is dont listen to anyone else. Buy what you like on your wrist, and you will never regret it. Good luck :-!

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
TAG makes a very good watch. I have three in my collection, and FWIW, I think that the Carrera is one of the nicest lines of watches out there - and my personal favorite. Not only will you get a quality timepiece, but one is arguably reasonably priced as well.

TAG was my first entry into the "luxury" market of watches, long ago, back in 1991. TAG had a unique, sporty, style back then, and retains it even more so, today. Although I no longer have my first, will always have at least one TAG in my collection.

And you know what, never, not ever should you feel unable to "justify" the cost of an automatic swiss movement. They are well worth their cost, and you will have a sense of pride each and every occasion you go to tell the time.

Good luck,

mike.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
all on your list of watches are great choices, Tag makes and sells watches from 800 dollars to 80000 dollars, there are a few with the display back, take a look at the Carrera and the Carrera twin time, also take a look at the link automatic. Tag Heuer is a name that even people that dont know anything about a watch will recognize, along with Rolex and maybe one or two other brands out there. They are a strong company that is owned by LVMH, along with Zenith and Hublot. Tag Heuer is growing and expanding, something that most other brands are not doing in a tough economy. good luck with your purchase

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Based on what? How many do you own?:-s
Based on my most recent scouring of local ADs for my next piece. In the same price range as the OP, the watches the Longines offer (IMO of course) are better built/engineered. Better movements, clasps, and just overall felt better...for less money.

TAG makes nice watches in the upper end of the market. You cant beat the Monaco, and the 1887 Carrera is intriguing, but I think their under 2k watches are overpriced compared to the competition.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Again, thank you all for your opinions. I will have to get some of these on my wrist and then make a decision.

Cheers!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Again, thank you all for your opinions. I will have to get some of these on my wrist and then make a decision.

Cheers!

·
Registered
647 Posts
First and foremost, you should get the watch that appeals to you more. The Carrera line is a classic and I would choose any model in steel. for elegance the non-chronos are among the finest in terms of design and the chronos are undeniably sporty. For a well-built diver, the 500m looks like it would be tough to beat.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts