WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My core watches are all pretty dull 3-handers ... versatile, yes, but not exciting. For my next purchase, I’d like to expand my horizons into something less traditional and more … um … unusual, exotic, and exciting.

I’d appreciate ideas for a statement timepiece, something eccentric, but just shy of wild and crazy. I’m looking for color, texture, and wrist presence. The main statement I want the watch to make is, “Hey I’m a really cool watch that will never be boring.” I am not looking for bling or anything that shouts out its price tag. I’m not interested in vintage-inspired or heritage reissues. The key words are fun, modern, different, offbeat, and interesting.

A brand like Devon, however, will be too offbeat. I want analog, something I can wear every day, and something that legibly tells time. And obviously I’m looking for something with an excellent movement and precision watch-making. In short, an affordable Greubel Forsey would be perfect.

I’m also looking for complications, because I just can’t add another 3-hander to the rotation. So a chrono, perpetual calendar, GMT, dual time, world time, moon phase, power reserve, EOT, alarm … any complication, or any combo thereof, is a necessity.

I’m open to any brand and any origin. I was initially going to title this thread, “Suggest something I have never seen before,” so I’m definitely open to a lesser known brand.

Some basics:
Automatic or mechanical, w/an in-house movement preferred but not required.
39mm-43mm diameter, max 51mm L2L. I can go 44mm if L2L is under 49mm.
Date please, preferably a big date or a centered day-date.
Stainless steel … no PVD, gold, rose gold, or two-tone please. Would consider bronze.
No skeleton or open-heart dials please.
No vintage, vintage-inspired, or vintage reissues please.
Open to any kind of crystal, crown, bezel, lugs, straps/bracelets, lume, dial configuration.
Open to divers, fliegers, dress, sports, anything.
Budget: $1000 to $6500. I would prefer to spend less, but for the right watch, I’ll blow my entire watch fund.

To offer a visual clue of the direction I’m thinking about, here are three that recently caught my eye.

lundis-bleus-storepic.jpeg
Lundis-Bleus ... I love this watch, but I can’t buy another three-hander.

chronoswiss-timemaster-storepic.jpeg
Chronowiss Timemaster. I love the big date, the color scheme, the retrograde PR dial. The crown is a big strike against it, and the size is just too much for me.

terra-cielo-mar-chrono-storepic.jpeg terra-cielo-mare-orienteering-storepic.jpeg terra-cielo-mare-o-storepic.jpeg

Terra Cielo Mare … I love everything about these watches except the size ...

Thanks in advance for your ideas!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Baume & Mercier Clifton GMT Power Reserve

Montblanc 1858 Geosphere
Both gorgeous. I had a chance to handle two MB 1858s at my local AD recently, the bicompax chrono and the small seconds models. Definitely a step up from my old Timewalker. The Geosphere is definitely an unusual watch and will go on the list, despite the vintage vibe.
B&M Clifton models are very attractive as well ... thanks for the recommendation!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would also reconsider the Lundis Bleus, there isn’t a more interesting 3 hander around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I'm pretty sure that it was your post that got me interested in the Lundis Bleus. I read their entire website, especially about the enameling process -- really interesting company. Will definitely be on my short list, once I get a more complicated watch in the rotation.
The Schaumburg is also something I have on Watchrecon and Watchpatrol. Again, probably your post where I saw it first.
Great watches, great ideas, thank you!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If I sketched what I was looking for, it would probably look something like this. I've been interested in Sinn's SZ1 movement and actually started a (brief) negotiation for an EZM 1.1 (the seller would probably characterize it as a lowball offer). However I've previously been interested in the more "stark" Sinns ... what you're recommending is quite different, and I'll definitely do my research. Thanks for the link!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You’re on to something... several dial colors to choose from. Also maybe a preloved Parmigiani?

I have been admiring your CFB ... I'm just starting to learn more about this company, aside from a CFB being the watch worn by Keanu Reeves in "John Wick." A German colleague wears a gorgeous CFB, and it sounds like this is a much better known brand in Europe. (He was very surprised I didn't know much about them.). I love the model you just posted ... not sure I can pull off the tonneau case but will consider.
Parmigiani is another brand I've just learned about (Prince Charles wears one apparently!).
This is a great suggestion, thanks!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tag Heuer Monaco Gulf 2018 edition
Monaco ... dang, I didn't see that coming. I posted thinking I couldn't be surprised by any suggestions for the mid-upper tier Swiss brands, otherwise I wouldn't have asked for suggestions. Funny, I dismissed a Heuer Autavia but I completely missed the Monaco ... . The Monaco is iconic and certainly qualifies as "cool" in spades. The Gulf Edition adds color, and it has complications. I don't really want a vintage looking watch, but the Monaco kinda transcends vintage. And this would go very nicely with my Mustang.
I don't want to say anything else, because I'm hoping to get more great ideas, and I don't want to send the signal that I've settled on something. But this definitely goes on the shorter short list.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
GO Panomatic, if you hunt around pre-owned for your budget:
4578-GO.jpg

Dornbluth Regulator:
dd04.jpg

1 - 20 of 157 Posts