WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently started “collecting“ watches, admittedly of the very budget variety sort, and I really do like the style of this watch, but it is such a disappointment for two reasons: one, no lume(!!!..), and two, no possibility to change the band. These seem like such stupid shortcomings on what could otherwise be such an awesome watch...

I bought it on the assumption I could make some kind of blue band work, but it just won’t. No options available that I am aware of… And the lack of lume?! No excuse for that…

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I did a lot of searching and the only adapters I have seen are pretty much either black and plastic or are for other models which would not work on this.

Ad for opening up the watch to put in some kind of lume solution, I would not trust myself to do that, and I would not want to lose whatever degree of waterproofness it has… I was just sitting here changing one automatic watch to another with this Casio just sitting there ignored as usual, and decided to put it on, and was just struck once again what a shame it is about these two utter and needless shortcomings of this otherwise nice looking watch…

·
Premium Member
50,216 Posts
I think you might be able to locate adapters (Jay and Kay's) is a good suggestion, but the lume and lack thereof would need to be addressed by a good watch pro.

Good luck.

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's the GM2100-1A, right?

The adapters for the older 2100 model are likely to fit, although I haven't tried them. So don't take my word for it.

I'd recommend contacting JaysAndKays. They will certainly be able to tell you if an adapter is compatible with yours.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
thru out its history, Gshock has never had good lume in the first place
that is why Casio put a light bulb in there

this G comes with its own strap, not a handcuff

so I fail to understand your so-called disappointments and creating this thread

next time, if you need help, just ask so, and we will help instead

LOLz

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I just think the overall aesthetics of this watch are very nice, but they would be SSSOOOO much nicer with lume on the dial. And I also bought it, naïvely assuming I could easily change the strap. I don’t wear black at all - nothing, not shoes, belts, anything.. I just assumed it would be no problem to get a navy blue strap for it… That however is totally not the case. I contacted Casio Germany and a handful of retailers and they all said basically the same thing: no chance.. Zero options. Unless you consider buying the dark blue version of the watch which has a basically black band with the faintest tint of blue in it… But it is black.

being relatively new to watch “collecting”, and also comfortable in my stance of just wanting a watch I like the aesthetics of, I am not too familiar with Casio’s history, nor do I care all that much to be honest. I just want a watch that looks good… And in my opinion this watch would have looked a lot better with those two differences.. As I said, I rotate among basically two other automatic watches, and the Cassio is just sitting there, and I want to wear it, but the lack of lume is more just a big shame, but the black band is more of a dealbreaker…

I still like it enough at this point, two months or so after buying it, to keep it, but I suspect that may change… And it’s just a shame is all…

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
I just think the overall aesthetics of this watch are very nice, but they would be SSSOOOO much nicer with lume on the dial. And I also bought it, naïvely assuming I could easily change the strap. I don’t wear black at all - nothing, not shoes, belts, anything.. I just assumed it would be no problem to get a navy blue strap for it… That however is totally not the case. I contacted Casio Germany and a handful of retailers and they all said basically the same thing: no chance.. Zero options. Unless you consider buying the dark blue version of the watch which has a basically black band with the faintest tint of blue in it… But it is black.

being relatively new to watch “collecting”, and also comfortable in my stance of just wanting a watch I like the aesthetics of, I am not too familiar with Casio’s history, nor do I care all that much to be honest. I just want a watch that looks good… And in my opinion this watch would have looked a lot better with those two differences.. As I said, I rotate among basically two other automatic watches, and the Cassio is just sitting there, and I want to wear it, but the lack of lume is more just a big shame, but the black band is more of a dealbreaker…

I still like it enough at this point, two months or so after buying it, to keep it, but I suspect that may change… And it’s just a shame is all…
if these things were deal breakers why wouldnt you take the extra effort to make sure it was what you were after? a whole lot of assuming going on there to blame the watch for its "faults".
Gs have never really been known for their lume but thats why they have a light and they dont deliberately make generic lugs to accept 3rd party straps, tho sometimes they do fit.
also irl the navy version is notably blue when compared to the black, its not just tinted black but it seems youre just looking for reasons to get rid of it due to the experience you created so its prob best to ditch it and go with a regular 2100 and a mod kit, (or find someone who sells them pre modded) and get whatever colours you fancy 👍

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I had just gotten into watches, and found out about nato straps etc... This was my third watch in like two months. I thought this watch would look really great with a blue band, and since I had seen there were other 2100s with blue bands, I assumed it would be doable. And I don't think that is a huge, unrealistic assumption - at least to somebody who is relatively new to watches and not some G-shock afficionado...

Same goes for the lume really. This watch would be so much better if it had it - just aesthetically. Would make way more sense than the little light which doesn't work all that well anyway.. Whatever the case, great design, but I still find those two shortcomings a shame. Would be a homerun for me otherwise.

As for the blue metal 2100, I looked at one up close in a store, and 1.) it defintely looked more black than blue, and 2.) you can't order just the band anyway. I went all the way to Berlin, trecked across town to a couple shops/official retailers, who looked into it for me, and you just cannot order that band, and they all said basically the same thing - not possible to get another band for it. I bought this dumb €22 2100 blue rubber band for it(which I took with me to get a watch shop to try to install for me...), and was not even able to return it via amazon, because I mis-clicked the return option or whatever(couldn't take it to a post shop, but it had to be picked up or something, and the time had expired... Some kind of fine print weasel option by amazon I had not encountered before..)

FWIW I will probably keep the watch, and just wear it when doing yardwork or whatever. But it will always be a bit of a shame in my eyes, because it would look so much better with a blue band(to me..) The lume situation is a shame of a lesser sort...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll also just add - the world of watch aesthetics is more specific and nuanced than I realized before, and I'm still new to it. So I find myself learning to pay attention to details I would not have thought of before. For ex. I bought an Orient Ray II, but realized over a few days that I don't like the bezel and insert. I have a Seiko SKX bezel and insert for it, and will either try to replace it myself, or have it done in a shop... I've been watching a lot of watch videos, and am still learning to pay attention to the finer details. And yes, I have also learned that assumptions which apply to lots of other types of watches don't apply to G-shocks. So lesson learned...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ha, thanks for the suggestion... Just happened to see a Just One More Watch video a couple days ago, and he said something like "we all know that modding Casios is bad for the waterproof aspect" or something to that effect..

My main hobby is RC planes(previously cars..), so I am somewhat familiar with fiddling, modding, tuning machines with tiny parts etc.., but have not trusted myself to even change the bezel on this Orient yet.. But sure, modding could be an option down the road. I recently removed the bezel from an old Citizen and put it back on. The insert came out, and next I guess I have to go re-watch a couple modding videos to figure out just what kind of glue/cement I need. Also need a watch tool set etc..

·
Premium Member
5,287 Posts
Many of the points you raise have appeared in the thoughts of those who frequent the G-Shock forum.

With experience, I've stopped blaming Casio for what are more correctly attributed to my own misunderstandings or ignorance. People new to G-Shocks don't have the knowledge or frame of reference and that's okay. Just be open to the fact that you don't yet know why Casio make the design, engineering, and product decisions that they do.

The bitterness resides in you. Not with Casio, not Amazon, or Orient.

You may know better what you think you want, but you certainly don't know enough to blame companies that have been doing this successfully for years, decades.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:rolleyes: It’s not about “bitterness“ or “blame“… I was just voicing an opinion, saying that these two aspects of the watch are a shame, because if it were not for them it would be a really awesome watch… IMO. But to me these two points really hold it back. And I don’t need to be an aficionado or a deep historian of the G-Shock brand to be able to have an opinion.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
:rolleyes: It’s not about “bitterness“ or “blame“… I was just voicing an opinion, saying that these two aspects of the watch are a shame, because if it were not for them it would be a really awesome watch… IMO. But to me these two points really hold it back. And I don’t need to be an aficionado or a deep historian of the G-Shock brand to be able to have an opinion.
I'm sorry you are not satisfied with your watch, but this is the second thread you have started about it. To be honest if you are looking for lume, buy a Seiko. If you are looking for a blue watch and never wear black, then buy the blue version instead of the black one. If you are disappointed in the watch being black and you knew the watch was black when you bought it, you should have been able to see that one coming.

The good news is that you will still be able to wear the watch while doing your lawn... I have watches I only wear while running and ones for doing laundry! :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts