WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a lot of threads out there about what watch to get. My birthday is coming up and I want a watch that is $500 to $600 and I want an automatic.

I am looking at DeBaufre, Seiko (SPB001J1 only), MKII, and the other common names.

I want a watch with a cool look. I like the Welder watches also, but I have never heard anyone talk about them and I think they are out of my price range.

What do you guys like? I posted this here because I tend to like diver watches, but I don't want the same old watch as everyone else. I can't stand the Submariner clone look.

Thanks
-Bobby

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
sorry, not a diver watch but i think it fits your criteria of looking cool IMO at least and your price point. powered by 2824 that is running within COSC specs. archimede pilot...

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
First of all (you probably already know this) -- the Seiko doesn't have a 2824 movement.

Regarding the MKII: very cool, I agree, but if you're going to buy new, there's a good chance it won't arrive in time for your birthday. Unless by "coming up" you mean "in September (or later)."

"Cool" is really a subjective term. Could you be more specific? Do you like the vintage or classic look? Military styling? Huge clunkers? Do you focus more on a cool dial or a cool case design or a cool bezel? Perhaps you might describe how you will most often be wearing it: with a suit at the office, on the weekends with jeans and a T-shirt, only with a wetsuit, etc. etc.?

ALSO: Are you willing to buy (very gently) used on one of the online sale forums? That will widen the possibilities ... Or, since it's for a special occasion, are you limiting yourself to something brand new?

I know there are a lot of threads out there about what watch to get. My birthday is coming up and I want a watch that is $500 to $600 and I want an automatic.

I am looking at DeBaufre, Seiko (SPB001J1 only), MKII, and the other common names.

I want a watch with a cool look. I like the Welder watches also, but I have never heard anyone talk about them and I think they are out of my price range.

What do you guys like? I posted this here because I tend to like diver watches, but I don't want the same old watch as everyone else. I can't stand the Submariner clone look.

Thanks
-Bobby

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hum....:think:

That price range is a bit tricky these days. Well, if you want an ETA 2824 movement then the Seiko autos are out, although I would take a look at a Seiko SBBN007 Tuna Can. It's a quartz, but has a unique look and is a great bomb proof comfy everyday wearer. You may be able to pick up a used Enzo for $600, once again, a very "non-sub" looking diver. The MKII's are sweet, but unless you can find a used one you're gonna have to wait 6 weeks or more to get it. The Oris TT1 diver can be found used for around $500-$600, very cool "Oris" look and bracelet, but wears small for 44mm. The Vixa Nettuno Auto is huge at 47mm, not including the crowns, has an ETA 2824 movement and is a rare find on the sales forum, but they usually go for $400-$500 used. The Tissot Seastar 1000 can be found for around $300 and although it is a bit flashy and kinda "sub-ish" IMO it's a great value. Don't know much about the Marathon SARs, but I think they do an ETA auto. So there's my 2 cents.... Good luck with your search. Remember the search/research is half the fun! :-!

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Oops....I must have been thinking and typing while Kent108 was posting. I apologize for the redundancies. :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Custom made MKII's will take about 6 months to get. There are pre-made versions of all of their watches if you want to go that route. They ship much faster than the customs. I bought a pre built MKII vantage and it looks great.
The SAR would be another good option in that price range. You could also look at Hamilton and Ocean7.
Good luck

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
MKII-awesome. Seiko-top notch but fairly commom. Debaufre are Sub look alikes-great watches/customer service. The Triton is nice. With your criteria-SAR or GSAR. They are tough, not too big not too small, rigorously tested, and fairly unique. You see them around here but few in person. I have never seen one and I spent 7 years active duty. My SAR gets worn more than any of my other watches. It sees all of the dirty work. Here is a pic:

and another

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Without reservation I would recommend the MKII non custom should be available and ships faster
Any of Bill's watches are top notch
Also look at Timefactors UK, Eddie also makes a nice watch for the money
Steinhart Debaufre has some interesting styles
eds

Thanks
-Bobby

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Also check out the Boschett Reef Ranger. I just got mine yester day am I am loving it!

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
This is one of the coolest watches in the $600 +/- range! The blue goes from almost black to irredescent blue. 1000 m water resist, 2824-2, all stainless, and Mitch at Ocean 7 is a pleasure to deal with.

paul

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
paul, that ocean 7 blue looks great. but, more importantly, you've got tremendous taste in baseball teams. :-d
This is one of the coolest watches in the $600 +/- range! The blue goes from almost black to irredescent blue. 1000 m water resist, 2824-2, all stainless, and Mitch at Ocean 7 is a pleasure to deal with.

paul

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I'm very happy with my Debaufre Nav B-Uhr LE. Perfect 48mm size for me, the 2824 movement is running +1-2 sec/day and I was able to get it at the pre-release price. I believe they're closer to $700 now.

I can also recommend the Glycine Combats which should be available in the price range you're looking at. I had the 43mm version that looked fantastic, although I've since sold it as it was just too small for me. There are a number of different versions available in varying sizes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts