WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Lots of pictures) I traded for a black rubber Omega SMP a couple of weeks back and discovered that the rubber, while nice? Still 'slipped and slid' up and down my skinny wrist. (which I hate)

Decided to adapt a Hirsch Leonardo to work with the Omega clasp.

VERY slowly disassembled with X-acto knives - cotton stitching kept from unraveling with a tiny dab of super glue.

Inside the Hirsch was about 1/16th inch of cheap ass cardboard (makes me question their pricing :-( ) which was easily scraped down to the outer leather.

I roughed up the facing side to give the glue more 'purchase', used a finishing nail to create a round slot for the spring bar and again proved that Super Glue thinks "cow skin" is "skin". (LocTite Super Glue is my new best friend)

Pressed with wrapped pliers so as to avoid marks? And even I can't tell that this was "home made" - it looks exactly as if it were assembly line made by a factory in Switzerland.

Best aspects? The Leonardo's fit the case as if they are welded to it, due to the 8 position plastic spring bar positioning system, Hirsch makes a THICK heavy leather, so it has a robust and solid 'feel', and the end pieces fill the tall lugs just perfectly (being about 6mm thick at the watch head)

This post is worthless without pictures, of course.

Before:

Inside "finished":

And a bunch of shots:

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really nice. Looks OEM.
That's the best comment I could get. (90% of the time you 'fiddle' there's some small imperfection which detracts...this time? I nailed it. ;-) )

Reactions: aafanatic

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
It's too bad you didn't supply "in progress" photos. It would have been nice to see.....

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's too bad you didn't supply "in progress" photos. It would have been nice to see.....
Thought of that afterward - problem is? Keeping track of tiny fiddly stuff, balancing three razor sharp knives, an open bottle of glue which can permanently attach me to my chair, using my third hand to measure and somehow using my iPhone without gluing THAT to me head? One too many things for my brain to juggle.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Looks great! You have mad skillz!

·
Vendor
7,319 Posts
Inside the Hirsch was about 1/16th inch of cheap ass cardboard (makes me question their pricing :-( ) which was easily scraped down to the outer leather.
Just to confirm, whilst what you uncovered may have the appearance of "cheap ass cardboard" it certainly is not.

The inner to all Hirsch straps, that forms the padding, shape, is made from a mixture of finely shredded leather waste that comes from the process when thinning the leather to the required thickness and a liquid resin, when mixed together these form a paste which is then injection moulded using templates onto the lining material, once hardened, to a soft consistency, the upper is then applied.

There are more processes involved, but this is the basics to how the strap is made, and the shape formed, basically, no cardboard is used in the making of a Hirsch strap and when I am on my next factory visit in Klargenfurt, Austria, I will see if I can get some pictures and more details on this process and share it on here and Social Media.

·
Premium Member
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just to confirm, whilst what you uncovered may have the appearance of "cheap ass cardboard" it certainly is not.

The inner to all Hirsch straps, that forms the padding, shape, is made from a mixture of finely shredded leather waste that comes from the process when thinning the leather to the required thickness and a liquid resin, when mixed together these form a paste which is then injection moulded using templates onto the lining material, once hardened, to a soft consistency, the upper is then applied.

There are more processes involved, but this is the basics to how the strap is made, and the shape formed, basically, no cardboard is used in the making of a Hirsch strap and when I am on my next factory visit in Klargenfurt, Austria, I will see if I can get some pictures and more details on this process and share it on here and Social Media.
As a long time client of yours? I'm happy to hear those details - upon closer examination of a small bit of the "innards", I can see that it is, in fact, a composite material. I was unaware that it was leather mixed with goop, but that actually makes sense. The reason I didn't spot it during the construction process was that I only cut the very very thin bit towards the strap ends...had I gotten to the thicker part I'm sure it would have been more visible.

Question to Watch Obsession? You've been my supplier for curved end Hirsch straps forever - and you are bloody brilliant. Are they ever re-introducing the "Mobile"?

Those are by far the best waterproof straps I've ever owned.

·
Vendor
7,319 Posts
Question to Watch Obsession? You've been my supplier for curved end Hirsch straps forever - and you are bloody brilliant. Are they ever re-introducing the "Mobile"?

Those are by far the best waterproof straps I've ever owned.
Morning rscmaine,

The Mobile along with all the other curve ended straps have been discontinued by Hirsch, we are the only people to have them specially made for us offering popular catalogue models aswel as some bespoke ones that are and always will be exclusive to us.

When deciding which models to keep and which to drop, the Mobile, despite being very popular, got the chop, Hirsch where unable to provide the same upper so we replaced it with the Leonardo Heavy Calf which although is not shiny, is waterproof as the Mobile, with the added bonus of being scratch resistant, we believe this model is superior to the Mobile and is selling very well.

Hope this clears up any queries but please feel free to ask away if you have any more questions.

Cheers Gary

1 - 12 of 12 Posts