WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Folks
I have been left an old pocket watch and I am trying to find anything out about it.
I have tried googling for the makers name and got abbsolutely no where.
It is open faced, about 51mm (inch and seven-eighths) across. The face appears to be gold with no makers mark, but has a finely chased picture of a peacock and 2 flower swags. It has roman numerals and a secondary second hand. The back of the case is engine-turned, with a small plain cartouche. There is a double row of embossing round the rim. Opening the outer back shows 2 key holes and trhe wording "DETACHED LEVER", "13 JEWELS", "No 8430", "COOPER FRENCH, LONDON". The inner face of the back has what appears to be a crown hallmark, the letters "HW" and the number 8430. I can see no markings inside the inner case other than the serial number 8430.
Any information will be gratefully received, Thank you for looking.

Attachments

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Good pics of the hallmarks would help a lot. I am no expert but this looks to be a Swiss movement from the middle to last half of the nineteenth century. I suspect Cooper French was an English jeweler who initially sold the watch.

The chased picture is quite nice.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
The movement is a Swiss lepine style bar movement with a Swiss side lever escapement. 1850-1875 time frame. If the case is English with hallmarks a better date determination can be made.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts