WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as I attempt to map out future purchases despite having no cash, I wonder what watches I am seeing that I truly like vs those that a majority of others like and therefore I like. There seem to be staples that stick around and those that come and go.

What are some watches that will always be a classic?

Which do you feel are a present trend that everyone NEEDS?

Which have you purchased in the past while succumbing to the love of the masses to only find you didn't really care for it in the end? Did you replace it with something you knew in your gut was RIGHT?

I cannot get the SARB017 out of my mind and think I will love it forever, but I once thought that about baggy saggy jeans.......

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The Alpinist is the Japanese answer to the Rolex Explorer. Is the Explorer a classic? There's your answer.

In general, in watchland, anything in the 35-40mm range with a single, subdued, color dial (or black/white/silver/cream) and silver or gold indices has staying power.

For extra security, say it needs either a round or rectangular case (though this isn't a real requirement in my mind)

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Divers. The SKX comes to mind, as a timeless, affordable choice.

Reactions: Benjamin T

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The watches I purchased in the past while succumbing to the love of the masses only to be disappointed would be the Citizen Nighthawk and Seiko SKX007

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do love my SKX007, although it is my one and only right now besides a few older, more fashion-y watches.

DP, I really admire your collection. Which have you held onto for a length of time?

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts
Ap ro 15300, have worked so far and will continue being a beauty!
35487688.jpg

That...or we've got another Non-Sequitur-Bot invasion...

I've found that as my tastes change I've gravitated towards "cleaner", less cluttered designs, straighter/simpler hands...basically a "simpler is better" philosophy. I think in my mind, the less a watch has going on, the less that can go wrong or go out of style.

I like my SKX007 too, but sometimes I look at it and I don't like the day with the date, especially since they're white and the dial is black (damn you, Drew!)...or I'll think I don't like the hands or how tall it sits on my wrist. My two most recent purchases, a Kadloo Ocean Millenium and Certina DS-1, both have styles I would describe as "crisp" and uncluttered. I think crisp and clean never goes out of style, like regular fit jeans or plain front (not pleated) chinos.

My Kadloo.jpg DSCF0206.JPG

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Doc, I agree about the clean look. Timeless. (Am I allowed to use that word here?) I would totally pick up a certina for a perfectly clean, diverse piece, if not for the lack of funds. The Kadloo also fits right in that category, but I think I would like a more cream/off white dial with either orange or blue compliments and put it on a leather strap for a dressier piece for interviews and weddings.

As said, I keep gravitating towards the SARB 017 and I can't decide if it is outside of my (what I think is) clean taste. I do love forest green. My truck is forest green.

Even my SKX007 appears busy for me at times, but I figure I do need the obligatory diver, and for the value I appreciate it.

Anyone have an answer on how to skip all the watches I will quickly get over? Should I think like a classic, old man? (I'm 29) I suppose there is no answer and I will evolve through the WIS stages and develop my own taste and ideals. This is just my hopeless attempt to save some cash in regrettable purchases with advice from some seasoned vets.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
I love complicated watches... something HAS to be "going on", or I'll be bored and flip the watch. So I bought and flipped watches that were "too simple" like this sterile luminor homage: nice, solid, accurate, but boring to death.

Probably almost classic, I sold it in a heartbeat, just not nice enough to my taste.
Each style has its classic watches, you may get tired of the watch, but many many people around will be still in love with it. One example that comes to mind is the Poljot Aviator, that is it quite appreciated in the pilot chronograph style.

When I decided to flip it after 7 years, because my tastes changed, I got all my money back. That's my definition of classic: a classic is a watch easy to sell after 3+ years, without loosing more than 10%. People always like classics ;-)
There is just only the little problem to tell if they are classics or not.
If you're utterly picky (up to nonsense) excluding anything annoying in a watch, requiring something near perfection you'll find plenty of classic ones. Just save a couple pics of the watches you're thinking to buy, keep them some weeks and if anything isn't perfect (i.e. numeral font, hands lenght/shape, dial color, case shape) discard the watch.
There is no standard rule because different styles require different things, but take a look to WRUW threads: some watches even after years tend to be "like magnets" that are often classics.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
The trick is to find what fits in to your life. If you can, see a watch in the metal (at the mall?) or trawl wruw. Go back through time to sift out the flashes in the pan
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365238694.523000.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365238739.656257.jpg
Two that I thought looked great on threads, but didn't work for me.

I thought I 'had' to have one watch with Roman numerals, but I'm just not a formal person and never wore it.

The Slava I thought was fun and fresh, but is a bit of a one trick pony. Wore it once.

I need: clear dial, crisp design, play of light (domed crystal/ sunburst dial/ layers of dial)

Edit: also realised early on that its the front of the watch that makes or breaks it (however cool the caseback, movement or heritage)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365238807.906294.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365238849.238726.jpg
Ah, the Smiths, perennial forum fave. I'm sure this will hold its value.

But it really didn't work for me & I sold it. The short hands and samey minute markers made time-telling (16 minutes past) less obvious than some.

But the real killer was size, particularly the 49.8mm lug-to-lug and the thickness. Looked like a kid trying to wear their Dad's watch.

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts
Anyone have an answer on how to skip all the watches I will quickly get over? Should I think like a classic, old man? (I'm 29) I suppose there is no answer and I will evolve through the WIS stages and develop my own taste and ideals. This is just my hopeless attempt to save some cash in regrettable purchases with advice from some seasoned vets.
My advice would be to take your time before rushing into purchases, but I've seen too many occasions where hesitation can prove costly. I almost didn't have my Kadloo, and it ended up costing me $30 more used than I could have had it for new. I bought a VSA for $300, then flipped it when the prices went up to over $400, and sold it for what I paid for it only a few months prior.

So based just on my personal experience, but also looking at Indiana Drew (DPflaumer), I think if you're careful and only buy stuff that's either got very wide appeal or produced in lower volumes, you can afford to buy-to-try, then skip-to-flip if you change your mind and not get hurt too badly by depreciation.

Without mentioning anyone's name, it also helps if you're shameless about rubbing your beautiful watches in people's faces all the time, hypnotizing them into wanting your cast-offs... ***raised eyebrows, looking sideways out of the corner of my eyes towards the Indiana back-woods***...

·
Registered
184 Posts
So Chris, I'm too dense to understand the underpinnings but what's the deep underlying message of the Certina around an onion surrounded by tangerines....?

That photo should next to a Pollock or Warhol in an Art Museum.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
So Chris, I'm too dense to understand the underpinnings but what's the deep underlying message of the Certina around an onion surrounded by tangerines....?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365258808.721210.jpg
Er, like this guy, Chris knows his onions?

·
Registered
12,815 Posts
Why not just get a (?) blue or black,or orange or green, or a combo. of Scuba by Vostok in a case style to siut (mine is usually 710, called ministry btw)
the rest is history....

well later, after reading almost every page ever written on wus or watch sites there will be a quick reality check that you can't have them all.
For me that means picking fault with every watch I at first like the (quick) look off. Very few get to the sleep on it next stage, much less on the back-burner to get list.
Only you can/will make your own rules. May the force be with you ;)

ps don't be too hard on yourself with the late night ebay trawling ones that looked good at the time..

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts

I'm too impatient for subtlety - https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/so-s...icipated-arrival-rhymes-shmertina-841784.html

Just noticed your sig includes the "3x3" reference. I love it when I see others infected with my brand of lunacy...

Anyhoo - if you'd like some better pics of the Certina...here are a few of the "obligatory hand on the steering wheel wrist shot"...taken late in the afternoon, poetically catching the setting sun, while our hero rides slowly towards the horizon...

IMAG0320.jpg
IMAG0318.jpg
IMAG0322.jpg

Reactions: Omegafanboy

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts
You know I didn't care for the look of that Certina just by itself, but that is a sharp watch on the wrist...

Completely different in real life!
Funny, I really liked the pics of it online, especially how reflective the dial looked. In real life it's a little different, a little "flatter", more matte than glossy, if that makes sense. Don't get me wrong, it's a very nice watch and I think it's a keeper (it will be my go-to watch when I need to play "professional Chris"), but I expected love at first sight, and it just doesn't "pop" quite as much as I thought it would. I got the Kadloo about a week before the Certina arrived, and I am still surprised I like the Kadloo better.

I think part of it is the dial. They're really close in case size, but the Kadloo has a steel non-bezel surrounding the dial, like a Rolex Explorer I, so the dial is a little smaller, but the shiny bezel helps it pop more (that, and the orange markers). The Certina is pretty much all dial, but it's not flat, the chapter ring is beveled inward, which I think may take away from the appeal. On the plus side there's no Cyclops over the date, and the sapphire is slightly domed. All in all I'm pretty happy with it, I just think they should have made the dial darker or more reflective.

·
Vendor
27,771 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts