WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I found a Cornavin pocket watch on the bay and it looks like a Molnija dial but it has 17 jewels marked on the dial. Didn't molnija only make 15 jewel and 18 jewel watches?

the ebay acution # 250519563718

Also had anyone heard of a Vimpel watch before? The dial has what looks to be a lightning bolt and it is also on the movement.

the ebay acution # 360190565155

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had never heard of a vimpel, but it looks like Mark Gordon has a few examples (3 to be exact) in his collection, and one of them has the same "lightning bolt" insignia. It looks like they were produced at a couple different factories from the 60's up through the 90's -- two of Mark's (the two from the 1st moscow watch factory) have the 2209 movement.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,165 Posts
I found a Cornavin pocket watch on the bay and it looks like a Molnija dial but it has 17 jewels marked on the dial. Didn't molnija only make 15 jewel and 18 jewel watches?

the ebay acution # 250519563718
Looks like a legitimate Molnija, Serkissoff style, also sold as Sekonda and Marathon.

17jewels is a bit uncommon. I thought they stopped that specification in the 1960s. Perhaps it actually has an 18 jewel movement but the dial is marked incorrectly.

Also had anyone heard of a Vimpel watch before? The dial has what looks to be a lightning bolt and it is also on the movement.

the ebay acution # 360190565155
Vympel is the brand if Vitsebsk Instruments in Belarus. 'Rare' is probably an overstatement. The case is probably surplus from a limited edition run for Poljot or somebody else. The case should fit a Poljot 2609.2H, Raketa 2609HA or a few other common movements. The movement in this one is a Chinese Standard movement stamped with the Vympel logo; no way to guess who actually made it.

http://www.tractionink.com/watch_wiki/index.php?title=Chinese_Standard_Movement

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi,
The logo on the movement bridge, that lighting lookalike consisted of 2 triangle, is that the Lioning movement logo or some Russian breed too?

I seen one with this logo on a "vintage wostok" before, and it do not seems anything like a vostok to me.... therefore I just ignore it.
But really curious about this logo, and it's origin...

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,165 Posts
Hi,
The logo on the movement bridge, that lighting lookalike consisted of 2 triangle, is that the Lioning movement logo or some Russian breed too?

I seen one with this logo on a "vintage wostok" before, and it do not seems anything like a vostok to me.... therefore I just ignore it.
But really curious about this logo, and it's origin...
That is the Vympel logo, owned by Vitsebsk Instruments, Belarus.

They may have stamped the movement when they received it, or they may have requested their logo on the movement when they ordered it from their Chinese supplier. When using Russian and Belarussian movements, VI generally leave the original markings.

Because VI supply cases to several Russian manufacturers, it is not unusual to see watches that look like Poljot, Vostok, Cardi or Peterhof with the dial signed 'Vympel' and a cheaper movement inside. My guess is that in order to produce cases at a low enough cost (especially for Poljot limited editions), VI overproduce and then use the surplus for their own brand of watches.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts