WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a piece I picked up Sunday morning at the flea market for around $100:

I missed a lovely Cortébert copper dial pocket watch a few days back because someone had bought it 30 minutes before I returned to the shop where they were selling it (I first caught sight of it that morning), so I'm very happy I found this one which is quite possibly even more beautiful. Here's the Art Deco caseback:

Clearly a lot of attention was devoted to the styling, as both the case and the dial are exceptionally ornate. The movement is also quite attractive, although it appears it is slightly tarnished (perhaps the plating is worn?):

I find the large blue hairspring dazzling. Finally, an attempt to demonstrate the beauty of those hands:

So what do you guys think?

Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
18,178 Posts
I would guess the tarnish is due to improper handling which has caused some form of chemical change (corrosion). It may be very thin and clean off for the most part. Often the tarnish is oxidation due to water, but, given the placement, I do not think that is the reason here.

Chronometer had the meaning of 'time keeper' when this watch was made... most used it for their high end but the word had not yet been trademarked by COSC in order to protect it from misuse... (or use outside of Switzerland... "-)

Wonderful watch! Great find for the price!!

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Nice watch,and nice deco style case.

"Cortebert" watches are usually very thin watches.Thats what I like about them-you could wear them but not feeling that you are wearing watch at all.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Cortébert is definitely interesting, so I'll be looking out for them in the future.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
This Cortebert 592 caliber -- what ligne size is it? Is it interchangeable with 6497/6498 movements?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts