WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

This is a Cortobért watch we had at home for a long time. Unfortunately it's not in the best shape. It can be adjusted, but it can't be wound up, so it doesn't keep time. Can you tell me anything about it? Do you think it can be repaired? Is it worth repairing?

Any info you can tell me about is is welcome.

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I believe the 592 is the 17''' version of the 616 model (which was modified to be the 618 model used in early Rolex pocket watches and Panerei watches). Cortebert made great watches, and since the 592 is too big to make a convincing fake rolex/panerie, they aren't quite as hard or expensive to get parts for.

Is it worth it? The case on this is in pretty bad shape, but the movement looks fairly clean and the dial should clean up nicely. But yes, it'll be expensive. How much is this watch worth to you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Sorry for the late answer.

I wouldn't use it as my watch. I usually don't have a watch on me, I use my smartphone to keep time. So it's not really worth restoring for me.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea to sell it either. I checked on ebay watches like this are around 100 dollars, if they are in good condition. This one isn't so it's probalby not worth much.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Keep it for the next generation. Or even a later generation of you. Watches like this are good "starter" watches for people looking to get into watchmaking as a hobby; they're big enough that it's easier to handle the parts, and cheap enough that if you break something, you can get replacements without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Just to add its a nice manufacturer and looks easily repaired and restored to its former glory.
If it has any sentimental aspect and you can afford it - get it done.
It may bring back memories and be loved

Adam

Reactions: eri231

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
I add another point - as a Horologist.
Cortebert was a great company, but sadly like many other greats "gone and forgotten" . These companies existed and made outstanding pieces long before the likes of Rolex.

You mention Rolex to anyone and they say " Rolex, my uncles cousin or was it nephew wore a 'Rolex'" They can not remember nephew or cousin only that it was a 'Rolex'
Now.
Mention Cortebert and no one remembers, but just as great . Sad but true.

Its the victor that writes Horol----->History

1 - 7 of 7 Posts