WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the look of this strap (Real Bond)..but I'm a little hesitant to purchase without actually trying it on. I like it because it's simpler (vs a NATO or ZULU). I don't necessarily like the way the excess excess band gets tucked away on the NATOS and ZULUS.

I have a planet ocean 2201.50. How well would that Corvus Bond strap fit it? Also, how thick a strap should I order? 20mm?

Last question, are there any other simple watch straps that you'd recommend!

Thanks...

·
Registered
10,692 Posts
The question of what the 'real' bond strap looks like has been doing the rounds for ever. This is Corvus' shot at it and it is as likely to be right as all the other interpretations of an image of a strap that is a few mm too small. If you want to pay the premium then 20mm is the correct size (obviously, if you are into obsessive authenticity, then 18mm will ape the original strap while looking awful!)

Personally I'd save your money and buy the 'Bond' here:

Time Factors Quality Watches On The Net Since 1996

Just scroll down to it - you have a choice of the traditional or the 'YAB' depending on which story you believe. The quality is impeccable.

Personally though, I'd buy the short Rhino instead as it has a bit more depth to it and would match the PO better

But that's just me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
I have this one on my Sub, it's just a generic eBay item and not as expensive as the Corvus, but, like you, I'm not so keen on folding over the strap and the way the extra d rings sit, this one has a nylon keeper as you can see and so ( I think ) looks a lot neater when it's on the wrist.

I had a standard NATO on my PO which should give you an idea of what it would look like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi,
I bought a 20mm Corvus Bond a couple of years ago to wear on my Submariner, I wore it maybe half a dozen times and went back to the Oyster bracelet. The strap is quite thin and the holes started to fray around the edges almost immediately. I think if you wore it daily it would'nt last long at all.
It was comfortable enough, but with a large, heavy watch like a PO you would need to wear it quite tight else it would be forever falling round your wrist, ending with the case sitting under your wrist.
They look great, but just a passing thing for me.

I did buy a grey Nato from Rolex which is what they supplied for Government and Royal Navy Submariners, and it seems much more robust.
They are both made by Pheonix in Wales (UK) but the fabric used for the Corvis is woven from different stuff and seems softer but less robust.

If you need further advice let me know,

Richard.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The question of what the 'real' bond strap looks like has been doing the rounds for ever. This is Corvus' shot at it and it is as likely to be right as all the other interpretations of an image of a strap that is a few mm too small. If you want to pay the premium then 20mm is the correct size (obviously, if you are into obsessive authenticity, then 18mm will ape the original strap while looking awful!)

Personally I'd save your money and buy the 'Bond' here:

Just scroll down to it - you have a choice of the traditional or the 'YAB' depending on which story you believe. The quality is impeccable.

Personally though, I'd buy the short Rhino instead as it has a bit more depth to it and would match the PO better

But that's just me.
Thanks for the reply. Which one is the "short" Rhino? Basically I guess it doesn't have to be the "Bond" style, but a durable non-NATO/ZULU because I don't like the extra bulk of them.

What are the recommendations for a strong "plain" type strap? What would one call this style?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I like the Corvus. It is thinner than most Nato straps and the hole I use is getting tattered. Still, the colors are great.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mt1tdi and Zidane

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Go to NATO/G10 YAB (Yet Another Bond) Strap and click on the triangle to the right of the "Select" box, the dropdown has the RAF style.
Thank you. So, you'd say that this YAB "RAF" style is fairly durable and could handle the Planet Ocean 2201.50? Would this be more durable than the Corvus "real bond"?

Does anyone have a pic of the 2201.50 on a YAB "RAF"?

Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I bought the Corvus "real" bond for my Seamaster, and I was nothing but impressed with the strap! It definately feels a lot more "quality" then any of the other natos from other brands that Ive bought. I've had it for about a year, wearing it for a week or so every month before rotating in another strap, and I haven't had any problems with any fraying. Granted the PO is a tad larger, but I think it would hold a PO just fine. If you don't mind the price, I would definately say its 40 dollars worth of strap, compared to a 20 dollar one.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
After looking at the Time Factors YAB RAF it seems that you do have to tuck in the extra strap much like the NATO style. Are the pics of it in this thread the NATO style? Does anyone have a pic of the PO on the RAF model?

Thanks...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi...sorry for the bump, but I'm looking to purchase one of these straps...

Can anyone clarify the details on the YAB RAF strap? It looks like its a NATO type, but I was looking for a simpler style. Also, the corvus real bond seems to be the right style but I'm not sure about its build quality. Some say it frays easily and others are happy with it...

Which one of these match the 2201.50 the best? On another note, how would a khaki color match the PO?

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,481 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of the NATO straps that I've tried on my 2201.50. Reason being that the PO is a thickish watch and most NATO straps on the market are quite thin. Perhaps the best strap I've ever bought was a black 22mm ZULU for my Seiko. This strap was purchased from a dive shop about seven years ago. Thickness-wise, it's almost as thick as the nylon straps that you find on messenger satchels. Perfect, IMHO. When I went back to this dive store to buy some more of them in a 20mm size, I was told that they were made by a guy interstate and A) he made them as a hobby(!) and B) he doesn't make them anymore.
I'm still on the hunt for a thicker-than-usual NATO strap and I'll find one, or die trying.

Anyway, enough chit-chat. Here are some pics;

SM300 (yes, it's not the PO, but the colouring is similar.) on a TrueBond strap that sold for less than half of what the CORVUS ones cost. A lot less than half.

Omega OEM rubber strap on the PO 2201.50.00

Real Bond ZULU on the SM300

Some cheap $40 leather strap with white stitching (to compliment the white hour markers) on the PO

The best of the NATO straps that I've found so far (eBay seller's name is gligs. No, I ain't related to him.). Photo given the Hollywood soft-focus treatment to make me look like an action hero...if action heroes weighed 126 lbs.
Fits nicely on the watch, but I wish it were thicker.

Regarding durability of these straps, I'd say buy a few of them and see how long they last. If they get dirty, throw them in the washing machine (I don't need to tell you to take the strap off the watch first, do I?) and they'll come out good as new. If the straps start to fray, burn the frayed edge with a cigarette lighter. If the end of the strap starts to fray, get two coins of similar width to the strap, sandwich the strap in between them, clamp it down with a clip, and burn, baby, burn the frayed strands off.

·
Premium Member
5,635 Posts
Hi...sorry for the bump, but I'm looking to purchase one of these straps...

Can anyone clarify the details on the YAB RAF strap? It looks like its a NATO type, but I was looking for a simpler style. Also, the corvus real bond seems to be the right style but I'm not sure about its build quality. Some say it frays easily and others are happy with it...

Which one of these match the 2201.50 the best? On another note, how would a khaki color match the PO?

Thanks!
To clarify, the RAF strap does not have the extra "keeper" flap that is on the NATO strap. In the top photo the watch is on a NATO strap with the keeper pulled down a bit so you can see it. The strap beneath it is an RAF with no keeper. The bottom strap is a NATO with the keeper pulled out.

The watch fits a bit differently on the RAF, since there is no keeper you can center the watch so the buckle goes on the bottom center of your wrist (instead of the bottom left). The excess is tucked in the same way but with the RAF it is more or less hidden on the bottom of your wrist instead of up high on the wrist by the watch head. Notice the bottom photo does not show the keeper and where the excess strap is tucked (down low).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Guys, i have quite a bit of nato, including the 'real bond' corvus. Personally, it looks gorgeous but i must agree the material frays rather easily. I personally do not mind since it looks rugged with my vintage watches. That said, the strap is not v robust and firm, more on soft side, so i would discourage that going with heavy head watch. Also, corvus is on the pricier side of town. For great value for money, i would recommend crown and buckle.

I am not in anyway affiliated to CnB - just sharing my personal opinion to my fellow strap-fanatics. : )

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Go with Maratac, can't beat their price and quality. I've tried quite a few nato straps and always go back to Maratac.

I've researched the corvus (many threads on it across several forums) and there seems to be too much disappointment for a $40 nato to sway me into trying one.

Timefactor straps are great but they do not have sewn in keepers and after wearing mine only a handful of times, a little yank is all it took for one of the keepers to break free.

I hear good stuff about the value of Crown and Buckle and Gnomon Watches nato straps but haven't had a chance to try these.

Nato straps or RAF style straps are super comfortable and I wore it on my 2500 PO no problem.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.