WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some companies make their own masterpiece in both COSC and basic version.
What do you think about paying a lot more cash for a COSC dive watch? the basic one can make a nice job as well?

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
It's never been important to me.
Some people are really impressed by the certification so it can help a bit with re-sale.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Some seconds plus or minus a day is the difference.
No big deal for me in a "normally priced" watch.
Which watch had you in mind, Divehunter?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I guess it is all about going that extra mile getting within that standard, ironically out of all the watches I own and have owned, The most accurate auto is a non COSC watch?sure I know it is a fluke, but non the less this is borderline almost the perfect time keeper.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it is all about going that extra mile getting within that standard, ironically out of all the watches I own and have owned, The most accurate auto is a non COSC watch?sure I know it is a fluke, but non the less this is borderline almost the perfect time keeper.

is it a COSC Aquamatic? how many +/- seconds per day?

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
is it a COSC Aquamatic? how many +/- seconds per day?
None COSC, I have others of the same and they are way less accurate, like I said this one is a fluke, so cannot judge ALL by this one.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Same here. My most accurate is my Fortis Marinemaster. Not COSC. Way more accurate than my two COSC watches. It runs +- 10 seconds a WEEK.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Thumb of rule: COSC or NOT, heck it as long as you like it and it runs fine!;-)

Sometimes it is like that, the more you think, the lesser watches you will have. The lesser you think, then start looking for more watch storage boxes! :-d

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
how many +/- seconds per day?
He said "near perfect" but it really doesn't matter since you could buy 20 of the same watch and probably not get as good.
It's just luck and the way one wears it.
If you need "dead nuts" in a dive watch, look for a good quartz.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...can a movement been adjusted to optimized its run? and a Cosc one along the years have to been registered again to maintain its precise run?

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
...can a movement been adjusted to optimized its run? and a Cosc one along the years have to been registered again to maintain its precise run?

Most movements can be regulated to run COSC and some COSC movements will not always run COSC. I have examples of both. You can re-submit a movement for re-qual as well.

·
Banned
5,120 Posts
Proper adjustment can easily regulate a watch to run to COSC spec, so for me it means nothing. Although it can be great for resale value, but that still means nothing to me because I'm not a 'flipper'.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
how many +/- seconds per day?
Wat too close to measure in a single day but over a week maybe 5 or 6 seconds loss? if that, I keep it on a winder, and it is almost t*ts on everytime with the Atomic, I have a few other L&B's that lose or gain 20+- in the same time.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Also, as I understand it, COSC is a certification of performance at one point in time. There is NO statement that the watch will perform within tolerance a year, 6 months, a month, or even a week later. The manufacturer is not required to re-regulate, repair, or replace a movement that is not within COSC after sale, although I hope a good AD would take care of it one way or the other if your sample clearly was not within COSC after settling down after a week or two of use.

It is nice to know that the design is such that the manufacturer has no difficulty getting a consistent enough performance to within COSC, but I suspect the COSC level of consistency is easy nowadays and the main difference is in the factory regulation.

- GregB

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
He said "near perfect" but it really doesn't matter since you could buy 20 of the same watch and probably not get as good.
It's just luck and the way one wears it.
If you need "dead nuts" in a dive watch, look for a good quartz.
Exactly, I have owned 11 L&B's and still have 5 of them, I would sell them all but not this Blue one, only because of the time keeping on it, if the others where so lucky to run as accurately as the Blue i would not even think twice about selling them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, as I understand it, COSC is a certification of performance at one point in time. There is NO statement that the watch will perform within tolerance a year, 6 months, a month, or even a week later. The manufacturer is not required to re-regulate, repair, or replace a movement that is not within COSC after sale, although I hope a good AD would take care of it one way or the other if your sample clearly was not within COSC after settling down after a week or two of use.

It is nice to know that the design is such that the manufacturer has no difficulty getting a consistent enough performance to within COSC, but I suspect the COSC level of consistency is easy nowadays and the main difference is in the factory regulation.

- GregB
I think so, if cosc and non-one use the same movement, many times the factory regulation is the main difference...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts