WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never would have thought that three tiny screws could be such a huge hassle.

I first tried COSERV and that experience was so ridiculous, I still shake my head every time I think about it. They told me that they do not sell parts separately and that I would need to send my watch in for the replacement. Trusting a $600+ watch (plus sentimental value) to Canada Post, then to Customs, and then to USPS, just to get three screws (under the risk of incurring additional damage), seems totally irresponsible. But, I was still prepared to do it, at least until I found out that they wouldn't even tell me the price of the screws. The lady said, "you have to send your watch in and then you will receive an email with the quote, at which time you can decide if you want to go ahead with the work or not." I told her, "I respect that you can't/won't sell me the screws separately... but I need to know whether it will even be worth it for me to mail the watch. If I send it to you and then you come back and say it will cost $50 for the screws, that would be a waste of the money I paid to register, insure, and mail the watch. She wouldn't budge, so I asked to speak to a manager, hoping I would get someone who could put themselves in my shoes and who would realize that quoting the cost of the screws was not the sort of thing that required having the watch in hand to do. So how'd it go with the manager? I don't know, because she "transfered" my butt straight back to a dial tone. o|

Right now it looks like my best option is Chino. $18 for three screws... OK, I'm fine with that. Granted, most hardware supply counters would laugh at me for paying that much, but this watch is kind of a luxury item and I fully expect to pay a premium for parts. What I didn't expect was the shipping cost - an additional $25. I can't figure out how that would even be possible. What are the screws packaged in, sandbags? You could literally stick these screws to the back of a stamp, and then put that stamp on a postcard, and then write my address on back of the postcard with a message which reads, "Thank you for your business, we do not think you are an idiot". But instead, I am faced with paying $43US for three little screws, and now the hardware guys are whispering amongst themselves and I think they are planning to take me out back and beat me up for my lunch money.

And it's not like these items are special 'superlative fasteners' or anything like that. They are actually a fairly poor quality part, as evidenced by how easily they are chewed up by even the low-torque loosening and tightening they undergo.

My question is to you Seiko owners out there. Is this headache just the cost of owning a watch? Or are you others connected to some sort of 'horology underground' where suppliers are willing to give quotes to their customers and are content with just making a healthy profit on the cost of the part (and leaving the shipping cost alone)?

- Chad

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Which screws/where are they located on the watch?

If they're "just screws", they can be sourced anywhere. Length, thread pitch, and head type are pretty much all you need to know to source them elsewhere. Lots of specialty fastener places around.

If they're some sort of proprietary Seiko magic screws, you might not have much choice; i.e. they're coated to match the watch's finish or whatever.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
What about contacting yobokies. I would guess he can get them and the shipping should be much cheaper. There are others that should be able to get the screws for you. I am guessing they are the shroud screws as the Tuna has three of those. You can get them as phillips and I think the new Tuna has them in allen heads.:think:

Edit. If you are looking for shroud screws in phillips there should be a tread on search as someone was looking for them in the past.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Hi Chad,
I myself am a crazy tuna fan and knowing where to get tuna parts is part of the WIS experience ;-)
My secret is actually SCWF. There are many Seiko WIS who are able to supply parts for reasonable prices :-!
They frequently post on the trade forum there and at times you can just shoot them an email and enquire.

Ok, back to those screws - send an email to Rob from Netherlands. He is reliable and trustworthy ( a big Seiko WIS too!). Just tell him Badern recommended you. I just bought the exact same screws recently for a decent price.

Here is his email [email protected]

Or you can also try Luka_san. Dont have his email though.

All the best|>

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
take one to specialty fastener shop or good hardware shop. they will measure it out and possibly be able to order them for much, much less. someone here from canada did that with sawtooth screws last year and posted about it. might come up in a search. good luck.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Did the original ones loosen and fall out?
You should put a bit of blue thread locker (using the tip of a pin) on the new ones.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hey Ninjafish. Here is one of the threads i was thinking about. When u see the price he paid for them, u can see why i remembered the post, lol. I'm not sure that the tuna screws are exactly the same size as Sawtooth screws -- if you need help with that one, pm me and i'll measure them up. good luck.

(by the way, FACCA Fasteners is located in Ontario).

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=304674&highlight=sawtooth+screws

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow, that IS a good price :-d.

And no, the original screws have not fallen out; but my recent acquisition came with chewed up shroud screws and I would like to replace them. Plus, I plan on taking the advise of another forum member who recommended taking the shroud off at least twice a year to clean the case and protect against corrosion etc. I figure that even my mint Tuna will start to show the effects of that after a while...

- Chad

1 - 10 of 10 Posts