WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Santa came early this year and delivered this beautiful Cosmos made by 1'st Moscow Watch Factory. Being both automatic and slim, the 2416 movement was quite an achievement.

The Cosmos is quite hard to find because it was not manufactured for very long, due to the high costs for making the complicated movement.

The date indicator in the form of a hand with a half moon is I think unique among Russian watches.

Case back is with screw down ring. There is also a version with snap back.

Side by side with the Orbita, the sister model. I never thought I would be able to take this picture.

With one exception, the remaining watches on my wish list are grails or borderline grails, so I expect my rate of acquisitions to fall back considerable from now on. But maybe that's a good thing... :roll:

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Well done; scoring both the Orbita and Cosmos in matching livery and good condition is a feat in itself. Santa's been generous heh? :)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank's guys! Yeah I guess I behaved this year since Santa was so kind. And watch22, you are correct, it was a fairly recent auction.

I wonder why there are both screw down and snap case backs? Was it a change a specific year to cut the manufacturing costs? I also noticed that the screw down is often in English (but not always, see Mark's #306), and the snap back is (often?) in Cyrillic. Did the snap back also come in English? So far I have seen only the Cyrillic version. :think:

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I have the Poljot-branded version. The "half-moon hand" Poljot/Kosmos is a great watch with a special feeling. Congrats!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which are your dream watches?
Are you referring to the list I mentioned earlier? Alright, here it is, ranging from "pretty much impossible" to "maybe, some day":

1. NII electric
  2. Raketa 3031 automatic day-date alarm
  3. Antarktida
  4. Severnity Polus
  5. Vostok two-crown diver
  6. Vostok 300 meters Amphibia
  7. Slava diver
  8. Slava Transistor (a working one)
  9. Kirowa 59 pocket watch
  10. Poljot 2200 (super slim: 1.85mm)
  11. Strela 3017 (from 1959 with Arabic numerals)
  12. Strela 3017 with Poljot Cyrillic branding
  13. First Moscow Watch Factory Type-17 rectangular 'Boy's' watch
  14. Strela 2nd Moscow Watch Factory
  15. Shturmanskie 17J

In addition there is one that is fairly easy to find, but I won't tell which one because that may interfere with an ongoing auction. ;-)

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Michele, do you know if the Poljot branded Cosmos was available also in a Cyrillic version? So far I haven't spotted one.

·
Registered
9,611 Posts
I'm stranded in space, I'm lost without trace
I haven't this chance of getting away
Too close to the sun and surely will burn
Like Icarus before me or so legend goes
I'm taking my life, reliving the past
There's nothing but wait til' my time comes
I've had a good life, I'd do it again
Maybe I'll come back some time, my friends

The final frontier
The final frontier
The final frontier
The final frontier

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,419 Posts
  1. NII electric
  2. Raketa 3031 automatic day-date alarm
  3. Antarktida
  4. Severnity Polus
  5. Vostok two-crown diver
  6. Vostok 300 meters Amphibia
  7. Slava diver
  8. Slava Transistor (a working one)
  9. Kirowa 59 pocket watch
  10. Poljot 2200 (super slim: 1.85mm)
  11. Strela 3017 (from 1959 with Arabic numerals)
  12. Strela 3017 with Poljot Cyrillic branding
  13. First Moscow Watch Factory Type-17 rectangular 'Boy's' watch
  14. Strela 2nd Moscow Watch Factory
  15. Shturmanskie 17J
That's roughly my list, too :-!

As for "pretty much impossible", I remember somebody over on the Chinese forum inquiring about the availability of the Tianjin tuning-fork watch; I called it "pure unobtainium" and immediately somebody posted that there was a working example on a current auction on TaoBao. So never say "never".

·
Registered
6,624 Posts
Chascomm,

It is odd that someone actually shared the information of the presence of one which was then available!

Thankfully I do not have much of a shopping list myself, I just pick up the ones I like when they turn up. Same goes for my other collections, besides if I have any NII, or Poljot 2200, I would be too scared to wear it.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's roughly my list, too :-!

As for "pretty much impossible", I remember somebody over on the Chinese forum inquiring about the availability of the Tianjin tuning-fork watch; I called it "pure unobtainium" and immediately somebody posted that there was a working example on a current auction on TaoBao. So never say "never".
At least five of the watches in the list have been offered on e-bay during my little more than one year into this hobby. So there is still hope for a few of them. ;-)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
While digging in history I also stumbled over the acquisition and restoration of your watch, which was impressive work indeed.
Thanks - since I live in LA, I don't have access to European flea markets and watch shops where people can pick up great finds. All I have is ebay.

One advantage I do have is that I have a local Russian watchmaker who can fix anything. So my strategy is to buy on ebay pieces that have a lot of potential and let the watchmaker fix the problems. I wish I had access to watches that are already perfect but it's not going to happen. My Kocmoc is a perfect example - I had to replace the crown and crystal but it was worth it.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Im assuming because of a remark made in the other link as to:"Not being a fan of Gold/brass watches", that these beauties were only made in a gold version. Im a chrome and steel kind of guy,so... tell me.....is it so.... I hope not. Id like to add them to my list, which doesnt exist...but you get the gist. Are there chrome versions. Thanks for opening my eyes wide, those are all great, gold or not....I can be appreciative of beauty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
View attachment 355768 View attachment 355770

Very nice - was this a recent auction - I remember this.

I have the Kocmoc with the snap back.

Yes - the Kocmoc is a must have :)
Hello, I'm very interested by this watch, but so much fake dials, movement and so on on this piece. Can I ask you few more pictures of the movement of your piece? More zoomed-in? Thanks a lot for your help.
The model I've founded has the diamond thing on the rotor but the inscription "29 Kamhen" seems to have been engraved manually (thick and not very precise lines). Is this usual?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 28 Posts