WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm currently in the market for a nice Submariner watch, I guess you could call them a 'homage' as I can't afford the likes of Rolex/Tag etc!

I've been looking around in lots of places for watches, a few people recommended a Seiko so I was having a look for possibly a nice condition second hand one on eBay and came across these! (apologies if i'm not allowed to share eBay links)

It says modded, I've read the description but i'm no expert.. Is the movement decent, is it going to be a good watch for the money? Obviously it's an auction so not sure what it'll end up going for but would it be a decent purchase is what i'm trying to find out, or do I pay a little bit more and get something from a branded website properly.

Cheers

·
Registered
31,442 Posts
As it is hand built from parts you will get no warranty, my advice is buy a Seiko diver from a dealer and get the safety of a guarantee.

The NH35 is a reliable “Workhorse” movement, and if regulated will give reasonable deviation.

Seikos are available everywhere in the U.K so that would be the way to go IMO.

·
Premium Member
532 Posts
I think Long Island Watch has a custom watch builder where you can customize a seiko to look like a submariner. They look good and from what I hear, they are a good company. Little pricier, around $500USD if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I would spend some time around those bsht guys, nobody knows more about sub homages. You can see a ton of photos and of all the people on this forum they will jump through hoops to help you find what you want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,038 Posts
There are some extremely talented 'modders' that display their wares on Instagram.

Have a look on there as part of your research before you make up your mind.

As you appear to be UK based, I'd second the Steeldive suggestion from @BikerJeff

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you're looking for the submariner look I would recommend steinhart ocean one/39 or squale 1545, you can get those from Gnomon watches but if you're planing on spending less then maybe check pagani design.
For a Seiko I would go for an original design and if you want something modded (but don't wanna do it yourself) or a similar watch with upgraded specs check Long island watch

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
8,428 Posts
There are plenty of sub like watches which are not moded. Pick them.
Things like Invicta come with Seiko movement. Literally any other uses Seiko for mechanical movement and amazon is full of them.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Just of note, Seiko's are pretty good the NH35 has become the byword in sub £100 auto's and used in anything from Invicta's to some of the Chinese "oddball name" brands and because they buy the units preassembled from Sii they knock 'em up and churn them out by the palletload 24/7 so should be no drama.

If cheap is your byword then the Seagull Mingezhu 2813 is not bad, some upon inspection have found little evidence of oils in some but in others adequate lubrication. Dirty environment seems to also be a hit and a miss but once stripped, cleaned etc will produce a very good movement.

The bracket between the Mingezhu and the NH35/36 is the Miyota 8215 which is a pretty good movement and you will find them in brands like Parnis, Bliger who often on Alibaba and the forty thieves offer the same watches with the Mingey in the same package as they are interchangeable hands and footprint wide. The 8215 is like the NH35, well made in Japan and a proven movement, the 2813 is merely a clone of the Miyota by and large, I quite like the 8215 as I have one in my Bliger sterile black and lume orange "broad arrow" thingy and its accurate as in so far its just not losing secs in a day most days and I can wear it a month and hasn't lost a minute which is what the NH35 would give you as well.

There is one below the MingeZoo that you find in the ultra cheap "military" autos like the Jaragars, surprisingly both my Military Royale and my Breitling-o-Jaragar have continued working very well for 2 years and counting which surprised me having paid £13 for the Military Royale which came on a beautiful super thick bund strap so good I bought another from the company direct sans watch, the Jaragar I paid £16 for and is for the money not too bad although the plastic display caseback is somewhat cheesey and I don't like triple date movements at all.

If its the submariner style you like, you won't go wrong with a NH35 powered Invicta pro-diver, I'm wearing mine at the mo in the gold and blue and for what it is, its a pretty cool piece but people hate on Invicta's, if its a dive watch you want then a Vostok Amphibia from Komandirskie.com will give you a certified 200m watch, full automatic and give you ten years hassle free service and will take abuse that no other brand can suffer as a Vostok can.

If you want ostentatious and diver, Invicta Bolt II Zeus Magnum is just about the heaviest lump of watch you can get on your wrist and has more presence than even the cheesiest rap star could stomach, if you want unusual and diver the Aeromatic 1912 "porcupine" with 4 canteen crowns and an insane dive depth is worth a look, Chinese brands like Bliger and Parnis you can get sterile and Parnis make a beautiful Tudor yachtmaster homage in coffee and rose gold that really stands out if that is your bag.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
To answer your question directly, yes, the movement's decent; no, it's not a good watch for the money. As others have stated, you can get a Sub homage from a number of sources. My choice would be an Invicta Pro Diver which uses a Seiko NH-35A movement essentially equivalent to the one in the link. The Invicta with mineral glass crystal will set you back $80 or sometimes have special editions with sapphire crystal and Sellita Swiss movement still for less than the one in the link. IMO

·
Registered
133 Posts
I mod Seikos and I mod sub homages. It's just like a modded car- things are more likely to go wrong and you'd to well to be comfortable dealing with issues yourself.

Having been in your position before, I ended up getting a Tisell vintage sub as my first automatic. It's a Miyota high-beat, Rock solid. Sapphire, ceramic, solid bracelets. $250 all day.

Just be warned that a Tisell will absolutely warp your sense of specs and value because of how much watch you get for how cheap.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Trouble is with the NH35 and Miyota 8215 is they are quite uncomplicated old but proven and trusty movements, the difference between those against the higher quality is what the difference is between a medium quality watch and a high quality chronometer and you start to drift into pricey turf the more exotic the movements you aim for.

Both the Seiko and Miyota low to mid ranges have tradeoffs in the form of losing more seconds per day than the higher rated movements but then you are getting what you are paying for, think of the low to mid movements as good reliable family car, it will carry on regardless day in, day out with the need to correct the timekeeping on occasion and it may come dressed in a very nice case and prob need less service intervals than the high end stuff so you can work out if you want a watch for bragging rights or want a beater, a tool watch that does what it says on the tin and you really can't go wrong with a Seiko NH35 and 36.

And remember that any auto is likely to be outperformed by even a cheapie quartz and that opens up another can of worms as ETA etc quartz are very desirable, totally fool proof and you can service them quite easily and the only thing you have to do is quick set the date every other month giving you true set and forget that an auto lacks.

Of course a real Rolex subbie would be costly but remember there is Tudor, the little brother of Rolex, also Omega do more affordable quartz offerings and you can move down a rung or two and look at Tag Heur, Tissot or look at a Seiko tuna can or some of the bronze San Martin's.

Right now cos of the baloneybug, its a real buyers market, Aliexpress goes berserk around Black Friday with astonishing deals so worth looking out for some of them.

·
Registered
10,147 Posts
Well, this ("San Martin SN004-G" aka "San Martin Diver Watch 6200") is a pretty good option as far as submariner homages go, imo, esp. considering the price (c.a. $220-230 or so).

I haven't had this one in particular, but I've had a handful of other San Martins - they tend to be well made, well-finished watches, and fairly safe to buy (despite being a fully chinese brand). The only hang-up could be with the fact that they focus on making homages.. but if you're explicitly looking for one such, then that's a non-issue to begin with.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Wanted to point out that the Miyota movement in the Tisells are not the 8215, but the 9000 series, a huge upgrade. They are more comparable to ETA 2824s than to NH35s and are putting together a solid reputation for accuracy and reliability.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I would look for a Seiko SKX023 or SKX031. It will cost you under USD $200, they are relatively affordable to service, and they are collectible. It won't feel like a Rolex Submariner on the wrist but it looks enough like it to be a fun troll watch.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I had a Steinhart watch and they are very nice for the price. Just make sure you are sold on the Sub look then go for the 39mm Ocean One.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What you're looking at here is not really a Seiko. It does have a Seiko movement but then again so do many others. It doesn't look that great in pictures if I'm being honest. The date window and cyclops are a bit of a mess. For that money you'd be far better off with something like San Martin sub. They have a modern 6 digit homage as well as the vintage one posted above.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'd avoid all modded watches on ebay. The liklihood of disappointment is VERY high. Seiko are very overpriced (new), they're really poor value for money. The movements are faultless but you'll find those same movements in much better watches elsewhere.

The most popular affordable submariner homage is probably the Invicta 8926. It's a great little watch with a reliable Seiko movement, cheap too.

Tisell make fantastic budget submariners with excellent movements. Have a look at their Korean site, it's cheaper than the European site even with import duties. Their submariners are usually listed as Sold Out but if you email them they'll sort it for you.

San Martin, Phoibos, Heimdallr, Steeldive are a few other reliable brands offering submariners homages, find them on Aliexpress, ebay..etc

happy hunting! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts