WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:) Hi
I recently bought this swiss vintage watch and I've never seen movement like this before...I need some help
The Brand is "Unichrome". And the movement a pin-lever escapment...
If you know please tell me what the werk type is.
thx
THM_0009614387.jpg

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
I'm sorry I can't ID it.

1)Are you sure its a pin pallet watch? It says Ancre on it. Edit - sorry, my mistake - lever it is.

2)Are you sure its Swiss? Swiss movements usually say 'Swiss' quite prominently.

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,638 Posts
Looks like a pin lever to me from the escape wheel teeth. But beyond that I have no idea.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Looks like a pin lever to me from the escape wheel teeth. But beyond that I have no idea.
Oops - sloppy reading by me.:-x

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry I can't ID it.

1)Are you sure its a pin pallet watch? It says Ancre on it. Edit - sorry, my mistake - lever it is.

2)Are you sure its Swiss? Swiss movements usually say 'Swiss' quite prominently.
As far as I know there are pin-lever movements with 17 jewels
Now I'm not sure about it is swiss.

This is my site - You can see more pictures from the watch here.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Aren't the two terms interchangable? I was just thinking that one allowed them to use the word Ancre and get away with it.
I'm not sure. Perhaps one of the watchmakers can clarify.:think:

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
18,210 Posts
I'm not sure. Perhaps one of the watchmakers can clarify.:think:
I've got an idea, but it's impossible to verify except by looking at the movement up close from the right angle.

One thing that is clear from the photos is that this has a straight-line pallet-lever, not the right-angle type that is slightly more common for pin-lever/pin-pallet escapements. The shape of this configuration is what gives the 'Swiss lever' that alternative name of 'anchor'. On the other hand, the German terminology is 'anker' for an escapement with jewelled pallets, but 'stiftanker' for what steel pin pallets, and I think that holds true regardless of whether the lever is straight or angled. So perhaps it's something similar for the French 'ancre'. (Linguistic experts please help!)

So anyway, my idea is that perhaps this movement uses that rather rare arrangement whereby a pin-pallet escapement is upgraded by replacing the upright steel pin pallets with upright ruby pin pallets. That would account for the 17 jewels. While it lacks the geometry of a true jewelled-lever (ancre) it might technically qualify.

Unfortunately the pallets are hidden beneath the balance wheel in the photo so it's impossible to prove my theory.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts