WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, new to this so bear with me...

As a result of a death in the family I've inherited a pocketwatch.
We're not talking gold here, or for that matter silver, we're talking "pure nickel" as it's stamped on the inside of the back lid. The clockwork mecahnism has the letters "AFRS" stamped on a pice of it.
From another post on the forums it seems this might make the watch into a Revue Thommen, but no picture/information I can find on the brand mentiones anything like this one.

The mechanism looks closer to the last picture posted in this thread (https://www.watchuseek.com/archive/index.php/t-78781.html )than it does the first one.

Anyone have any idea what this can be? Did RT ever make a "poor-man's-pocket-watch"?

Any, and all, help appreciated....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I'm afraid you are going to have to take and post pictures of your own watch (face and movement) if you want any accurate information about it. Does the watch say "Revue" on the dial? or what does the watch say on the dial?

The letters "AFRS" on the movement are probably from the balance and arranged like:

A R
F S

These are abbreviations for Advance, Retard, Fast, and Slow and indicate which direction to move the regulator to make the watch run faster or slower.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I agree with Jim. If you can post a photo of the dial and movement we can try to identify it for you.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Well I'd guess it to be from around 1920 or so. It appears to have an older style enamel dial which was out of fashion by 1930 at the latest.
The movement is European - probably Swiss 15 jewels I'd say and a rather "modern" pocket watch design - certainly 20th century.
I don't see any markings or maker's identification so I'd say you are out of luck as far as determining the brand goes. It's a common problem with Swiss and French products of this era.
Maybe Hartmut, Jim or JohnF have some ideas....or Dr. Ranfft if we get lucky.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Since the watch is not marked it may be impossible to identify the manufacturer. However, it certainly does not seem to be Revue.

The movement looks to be a Unitas caliber 83 (or related). This watch probably dates to around 1915 or so and appears to be a generic Swiss pocket watch.

The movement appears to have a problem. The crown screw seems to have had its head broken off (the screw just below the crown). This screw would be reverse threaded and it looks like someone tried to remove it with a counter-clockwise twist (which actually tightens it) and snapped the head off. The bushing (ring) for the crown wheel also appears to be missing.

This watch has no great value.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
JimH, don't really care about the monetary value, it belonged to a relative of mine who recently passed away so it's more a sentimental thing for me.

As old as the late 1910's, early 1920's eh? Genereic or not, still thhink it looks ok, hope the watchmaker I gave it to can do something with it.

Thanks to you guys, and sorry for the bother.

:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts