WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

81 - 100 of 103 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
So if you redefine wrist size, what happens to the well-established millimeter system of measuring watches? Would a 40mm watch on one size wrist be labeled a 38mm on a larger wrist? Or a 42mm on a smaller wrist? So once you know your wrist size then you can buy the properly sized watch?
Perhaps we can redefine what a nonsensical post is.
Uhm...huh? The measuring of watches would remain the same.
So I guess what you're saying is your post is nonsensical? 馃

Registered
Panerai 510, Zenith Defy Classic Skeleton, GS 343, GS 341, a few quartz beaters
I agree that wrist width is more relevant for estimating if a watch would fit than wrist circumference. By comparing wrist width with L2L length, you'll immediately see if the lugs would overhang or not.
Yes, this! I'm a beginner WIS but quickly figured out that width is more useful toward estimating watch fit than circumference. My own wrist is very flat (I am skinny/bony) and so circumference initially steered me toward too-small watches. Width steers me right, when I have L2L of the watch and a qualitative view of things like dial-to-bezel proportions.

Registered
...you have some folks with portly wrists...
How dare you call them portly. My wrists are simply more luxurious!

I vote for adding a mandatory L2L to be included for those of us that are "wrist impaired"........
Actually, the trend towards disclosing L2L seems to be gaining traction, and is something I greatly appreciate!

On the topic of what to measure to ensure fit: everyone knows you really need to disclose the circumference of your biceps, forearms, chest, and waist in order to find out what the sweet spot is.

Registered
"we need to wear our watches below the bone"

Below the wrist bone? Like between your wrist bone and your hand? No one should ever wear a watch there. Watches go above the wrist bone for everyone, away from your hand.
Lol 鈥渘o one鈥. My arm is tapered like a traffic cone, there is no stopping it unless I wear an elastic or overtight strap. There is an issue when the watch gets between the bone and the hand, and that is bending my wrist will interfere with the watch. It also makes my wrist diameter increase. I can pop the clasp on my Sumo by bending my wrist if the watch is right against my hand. Also, the popularity of watches like the Pelagos LHD and watches with 4 oclock crowns indicate people DO sometimes wear their watches next to their hand. I love it when you guys get on here, and you aren鈥檛 the only one, making these absolute statements. Another one is 鈥38mm is the perfect dress watch diameter.鈥 I suppose mens 8.5 is the perfect dress shoe size too. 馃檮

Premium Member
How dare you call them portly. My wrists are simply more luxurious!
Built for comfort, not for speed!

For whatever reason some folks have more meat on their wrists. It could be from carrying more subcutaneous tissue there than most, more anabolism either naturally or artificially, or a few other reasons. As such a watch is going to wear differently than those who aren鈥檛 as luxurious.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
Reactions: laplumej01

Registered
Discussion Starter · #88 · (Edited)
Squirrel! 馃榿

Lastly, we're gonna need VW and Ducati photos, please :)
(Click on an image to expand it)

1972 Squareback (parents original owners) & 1976 camper Bus

2014 Ducati Diavel Strada (foreground) & 2006 Ducati Sport Classic 1000 (background)

Cold tires, cold street, too much throttle, too little experience 馃槚 Lesson learned though!

Not pictured is my 1994 VW Jetta 2.0L. I raced it in SCCA, EP class, and it was my daily driver. Bullet-proof engine will go into the Bus (KEP adaptor kit) and the rest of the car is being parted out.

Reactions: AEC

Registered
Below the wrist bone? Like between your wrist bone and your hand? No one should ever wear a watch there. Watches go above the wrist bone for everyone, away from your hand.
You tell me which looks weirder:

Below bone:

Above bone:

Below/at bone:

Above bone:

Still think we all should do it your way?

Premium Member
A pic is more helpful than a written description, so when I comment on wrist size posts, I try to remember to include this, to better help the person who's trying to figure out if a watch might be too big (never too small, with my wrist):

Registered
I'm told bananas are a popular unit of measurement. I suggest we measure our wrists in bananas from now on.

Registered
So if you redefine wrist size, what happens to the well-established millimeter system of measuring watches? Would a 40mm watch on one size wrist be labeled a 38mm on a larger wrist? Or a 42mm on a smaller wrist? So once you know your wrist size then you can buy the properly sized watch?
Perhaps we can redefine what a nonsensical post is.
Uhm...huh? The measuring of watches would remain the same.
So I guess what you're saying is your post is nonsensical? 馃
Agree with you OP, someone failed math

Registered
How about we standardize watch sellers all providing actual lug to lug, diameter, and lug width in millimeters and provide that in the description? Everyone can figure out what sizes work for them, but we see too many listings on places like Amazon that leave that info out of the description.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #96 ·

Registered
I have no idea what my wrist size measures. But just from long experience, I know that a 42mm watch is my sweet spot and I can wear up to 45mm.

Premium Member
You tell me which looks weirder:

Below bone:

Above bone:

Below/at bone:

Above bone:

Still think we all should do it your way?
Below the bone is not right, looks wrong and uncomfortable. Look it up. Above the bone is correct. Below looks like your first day wearing a watch.

Premium Member
Lol 鈥渘o one鈥. My arm is tapered like a traffic cone, there is no stopping it unless I wear an elastic or overtight strap. There is an issue when the watch gets between the bone and the hand, and that is bending my wrist will interfere with the watch. It also makes my wrist diameter increase. I can pop the clasp on my Sumo by bending my wrist if the watch is right against my hand. Also, the popularity of watches like the Pelagos LHD and watches with 4 oclock crowns indicate people DO sometimes wear their watches next to their hand. I love it when you guys get on here, and you aren鈥檛 the only one, making these absolute statements. Another one is 鈥38mm is the perfect dress watch diameter.鈥 I suppose mens 8.5 is the perfect dress shoe size too. 馃檮
Not sure, I wear a size 12 shoe.

Premium Member
Sorry, did I mess that up? For some reason I get the two positions switched. For clarification, I wear it above the wrist bone, not between the bone and hand. Yes, for me, that is uncomfortable when the watch is between the bone and my hand.
It is for everyone, and wrong too. It looks like your first day wearing a watch, or you don't know how to size it.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts