WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vint. Forum Co-Moderator
3,823 Posts
I'm sorry that you aren't getting an immediate answer. We have some who know their Rado however our members are all over the world and not everyone logs in every day so it can take a little while.

·
Registered
5,530 Posts
Sorry I can't be of much help, Rado can be a mine field because they had so many model names, if you can open it and give us a picture of the movement someone will probably identify it for you.

Matt

Reactions: Kirill Sergueev

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I am going to take the watch to a friend of mine who is a renown watch repairer in Moscow, Russia. But it is not going to happen soon since I am in the States. I do not want to open this watches myself since I do not have a tool and obviously somebody already scratched the back badly. They are in the working conditions. I just want to learn a bit about this model. They are indeed beautiful but it is my first ever Swiss watches.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
What you need to open it up is a case holder and a case back wrench. If feel like you can't open it with a wrench without scratching it, you might want to buy a rubber "friction ball". Some case backs are screwed in so hard, that the ball might not be enough, nevertheless it's worth a try. If you want to buy vintage watches from sources like pawn shops, fleamarkets, thrift stores, you will need to get proper tools sooner or later. This means the holder, a wrench, a case knife, a loupe, and the ball (if you really are that afraid of case wrenches). Besides, I'm pretty certain that even a mediocre watchmaker will have the right tools, and shouldn't ask any money for opening the watch up.
The scratches here don't look as if a wrench left them, it looks as if someone with a "what-is-inside" obsession tried to open the watch up without the right tools.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
13,447 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot. I thought that they are most likely from the early sixties. I did bot thought that they are 720 ft or 220 m water resistant. It is actually great. As for opening them. I seriously do not think that i fill be hunting for vintage watches on the flea markets and pawn-shops. The one should be an expert to do that. Plus have a lots of tools plus skills and patience. And I already have a collectable hobby which kills my budget and fills the display cabinet with obsolete film cameras. I appreciate you help in identifying those watches and I hope that they would not propagaet themselves into a suitcase full of vintage watches.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
That is almost certainly an unnamed model. It will likely have an ASchild hand wind movement in it, though that watch is old enough that it might still be a Felsa. That printed anchor was introduced to denote hand wind models in 1957 and that case back had mostly disappeared by late 1962. Rado was notorious for using up parts though, so it could be a little more recent than that. Be very careful opening the caseback. It is a patented bayonet mount. It will only rotate 30 degrees and then can be popped off. Many people over rotate these thinking they are an ordinary screw in case back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts