WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why, oh why does Casio produce a product with a feature as wonderful (and for some like me, necessary) as a count-down timer and then all to often put the hidious limitation of 60 minutes on it? I know there must be some form of logic but I have yet to find it.

I personally would have a much broader selection choice in G's if it were not for that one draw-back. o|

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
That was always annoying to me as well. I have a G-7710KRT and it has two CDTs that will go to 100hrs. They will only cycle through one another 5 times though. I guess everything has some limitations. I dislike the recycling limits myself.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Is this also in newer models the case?
May be they will release a DW-XXXX-'i' with a firmware release!
On the other hand, why does one G-Shock have a data memory and another not? It would be simple to add this feature as well. I guess its just reason to justify buying more than one.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
All hail the great countdown timers of the basic models!!!! You get a full 24 hours. They can be set down to the second, which is something you don't find much on new models. And you see the current time as they count down. If they had auto-repeat, they'd be just about perfect.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
In my opinion the 60 minute CDT makes perfect sense.
If I'm counting down anything over 1 hour I would just set the alarm.

Does anyone really use the 24 hour CDT?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

It's true you can make do with an alarm, but it's nice to have 24 hour option. I mostly use CDT for cooking, so the Christmas turkey will need more than 60 minutes. It's nice to see, at a glance, how long is left.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good idea!

I always use a timer for cooking, but never considered using a CDT on a watch ... D'oh!!!

Now I have another reason to get a G-Shock... :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts

My alarms are already set to remind me to take my medication, and to remind me to catch the last bus home from work. So the alarms are not really practical for me when it comes to countdown times.

I use a larger countdown than 60 minutes quite often. When my daughter was an infant, the CDT was awesome for bottle feeding reminders. I've also used it many times for cooking, and as a reminder not to let my daughter nap for more than 3 hours. Any more than 3 hours, and she is very cranky!!! :-|

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Then they are perfect because they do have auto repeat.
Not on the basic models, like the DW5600 and DW9052. Not to my knowledge anyway.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
The dw-5600e and dw-5600 and dw-9600 does has auto after you press set then light button and then auto will show up on countdown and don't have dw-9052 so I don't know it that does have auto.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
The dw-5600e and dw-5600 and dw-9600 does has auto after you press set then light button and then auto will show up on countdown and don't have dw-9052 so I don't know it that does have auto.
I stand corrected. Excellent! :-!

I just tried it on the DW-9052, and it works the same.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

A minimum of twice a day very specifically. The reason the alarm isn't applicable is with the CDT you can pause it, then resume as needed to get the exact time you needed. If you used an alarm you'd have to re-set it to account for the pause in your detail.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Nice!!! I never noticed the auto-repeat before. I guess the old basic CDT's are perfect!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
About the auto-feature: manuals can tell you a lot actually nearly everything :p

A timer is just wonderful, alarms make perfectly sense but if you want to buy something in an auction its more convenient to have a timer. I also see how much time is left for me to get home in time.
Or if I go swimming i set my timer for 1,5hours. Just the push of a few buttonsw/o looking. What a nuissance with an alarm!
Which G-Shocks have more than 1 timer btw?

·
Registered
713 Posts
I think that watches should have at least a 48 hour timer. That's always how long the bad guys give the hero in the movies.

In MI3 Tom Cruise got a 48 hour deadline from Philip Seymour Hoffman and did something to his watch. I figured that the MI3 G would have that feature but it doesn't.

I'll have to check the G-7710KRT, that'll come in real handy in case my family is kidnapped by international terrorists. ;-)

Chad

1 - 20 of 25 Posts