WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked these up this weekend. They were physically gross. Gunk/grime/decades of sweat and dead skin build up. I took them apart and cleaned them. The black dial cleaned up nice, and is reassembled. The gold dial has an issue with the dial. It rotates on the movement, so I gotta fix that.

I was thinking they might be fake. Though who woulda faked these? I thought that because the case backs are faux screw-downs. Snap backs with notches to look like they screw down. Movements are marked Japan, but not marked Seiko.

The case for the gold dial has a crown tube that extends beyond the case. The case for the black dial does not. Not sure if the tube is missing, or if it never had 1 like that.

Some picks of my cheap, Seiko quartz watches. I’m guessing early 90’s. Bracelets sized for a small wrist. Even with the clasp opened, I cannot get them on my wrist. The stretch on the bracelets isn’t bad.

Any info on these? I gotta get batteries and test them.

Nothing special. Just thought I’d share.

As found.

Disassembled.

I forgot to take pics of the backs before cleaning. They were gross. Here’s the black dial re-assembled. You can see the base-metal pitting isn’t too bad, and is confined to the back .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
797 Posts
WatchSleuth has a production date finder:
WatchSleuth - Seiko Date Finder

I can see from one of the photos "5Y23." Not exactly a bad movement since it's still running. Here's the full service manual on it.

https://www.thewatchsite.com/files/Seiko Technical Manuals/5Y22A_23A_30A_31A_32A_39A.pdf
https://www.thewatchsite.com/14-user-manual-technical-manual-casing-guide-downloads/15-seiko-calibers-technical-repair-manuals.html

There's quite a few Seiko watches with snap back, not an indicator they're "fake." You can easily check the movement against the drawing in the service manual.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think they are fake or frankens. I've owned a lot of the datejust seikos. 5y23 and 7n43. They all say Seiko on movmnt and have screw down case backs. Have never seen 1 with a diamond 12 o'clock. Common India fake dial thing to do. Also all of these watches have solid links, yours appear to be folded. 5y23 should have day at 12 o'clock, date at 3 and 7n43 should have day/date at 3.

Also, the Seiko name should be riveted to the dial, not simply written like the quartz is. I think all 5y23 dials had SQ on them as well, but am not certain.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Wrist Fashion accessory

There was a transitional period where early 7n43's had the day date like a 5y23 as seen in this image.

I'm hardly an expert, but have every save search filter combination for all of these datejusts in eBay and have never seen any like yours.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think they are fake or frankens. I've owned a lot of the datejust seikos. 5y23 and 7n43. They all say Seiko on movmnt and have screw down case backs. Have never seen 1 with a diamond 12 o'clock. Common India fake dial thing to do. Also all of these watches have solid links, yours appear to be folded. 5y23 should have day at 12 o'clock, date at 3 and 7n43 should have day/date at 3.

Also, the Seiko name should be riveted to the dial, not simply written like the quartz is. I think all 5y23 dials had SQ on them as well, but am not certain.

View attachment 14586625

There was a transitional period where early 7n43's had the day date like a 5y23 as seen in this image.

I'm hardly an expert, but have every save search filter combination for all of these datejusts in eBay and have never seen any like yours.
I tend to agree with you. I mentioned my suspicions in the op. I wouldn’t have expected a Japanese movement in the watch though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They're still cool though!! I just noticed, both your watches have curved end links and the cases look much thicker. I've never seen Indian quartz jobs, but lots of Seiko fives. I think these were (assuming Seiko cases) automatics. The quartz datejusts never had curved end links, but the autos did. Additionally, the autos were cheaper and came with folded bracelets. Check the part number on the end links, you might be able to get 15-30 dollars on eBay for the bracelets with end links.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Where did you get them? Thanks for sharing!

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They're still cool though!! I just noticed, both your watches have curved end links and the cases look much thicker. I've never seen Indian quartz jobs, but lots of Seiko fives. I think these were (assuming Seiko cases) automatics. The quartz datejusts never had curved end links, but the autos did. Additionally, the autos were cheaper and came with folded bracelets. Check the part number on the end links, you might be able to get 15-30 dollars on eBay for the bracelets with end links.

View attachment 14587967

Where did you get them? Thanks for sharing!
No markings on the bracelets at all. The black dial watch has endlinks marked G-1

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, that's an authentic Seiko end link!! Lol. Silver watch appears to have aftermarket end links, but the bracelet I'm sure is authentic. I've bought and sold a few of these just for additional links. Pm me if you want help with selling/part numbers.

·
Premium Member
73,774 Posts
The pretend keyways in the snap back would raise my suspicions too. Unfortunately I don’t know my Seikos well enough to pass any sort of judgement on whether they’re genuine or not.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yup, that's an authentic Seiko end link!! Lol. Silver watch appears to have aftermarket end links, but the bracelet I'm sure is authentic. I've bought and sold a few of these just for additional links. Pm me if you want help with selling/part numbers.
Sorry, I just noticed both your clasps are unsigned. i guess that must mean they are not seiko. G1 is 1 of the correct part numbers for the automatic datejust seikos end link though lol.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Sorry but they are fakes, i've owned a couple of the fluted bezel sq models (and sans sq branding) not to mention the 7009 auto variants and those two look completely off. May be a fun project to design your own dial and clean up the cases further making your own mod build.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts