WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello brothers and sisters in WISdom,

I'm taking stock of my collection. Though, let's be honest, aren't we always? :-d
I'm not a mono-brand or mono-model collector, but I do have tons of respect for someone who can collect a hundred different Cartier Tanks, etc.
I'm more of a cover-your-bases collector.

Basically, I want as small a collection as possible while still covering as many bases as possible both in terms of form and function.

The list (so far) of bases that I can think of that a well-rounded collection should cover.
Of course, a piece can cover multiple bases, for example, my own Tank covers the bases of "vintage", "dress", "precious metal", and "non-round"

• Field watch
  • Daily wear (business-casual)
  • Chronograph
  • Diver
  • Dress watch
  • Travel watch (can be a GMT, Worldtimer, or just something with an independently adjustable hour hand)
  • Non-round watch
  • Oversized watch
  • Precious metal (or, at least, non-steel)
  • Quartz watch
  • Digital watch
  • Non-chronograph complication
  • Colorful dial (e.g. not black, white or silver)

Can you think of anything else that I'm missing?

Thanks, and stay safe (and sane) out there! :-!

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Get something outside of your standard quartz and mechanical movements. Think UHF, HAQ, radio controlled quartz etc.

Sent from my rotary phone using Crapatalk

·
Premium Member
Mostly Speedies
2,661 Posts
There is another thread like this and it can get out of control once you get past the main categories. I’ve stopped worrying about those broad definitions.

Personally I do like the idea of having a field, dive, pilot, travel and sports chrono. I’m not into dress watches so I’ve “covered the bases” that are important to me with my collection.

AD (Instagram @officine_scrivano)

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Solar Watch of course. It also combines ultra-light / Titanium watch, and HAQ.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Can combine Ultra Thin, Titanium /ultra-light, and Solar as well.

Wrist Hand Finger Grass Fashion accessory

And as long as you are covering all your bases, you need this RGM:

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

Reactions: JLP2 and BarracksSi

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You didn't list a pilot watch. I like them because they are usually somewhat austere and very legible. Having said that, some are available with colorful dials so I suppose you could tick two boxes with one watch.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
Premium Member
IWC Porsche Design Titan, IWC Pilot Spitfire, Sinn EZM 10
5,488 Posts
I am beginning to look at watches like 99% of the population. One watch should cover all the bases. But I guess that's nobody's idea of fun on this forum. I would focus on non-steel material watches, including gold/platinum precious metals, or titanium/aluminum/ceramic...

·
Premium Member
38,936 Posts
Sounds pretty complete to me. Nice collection.

Enjoy them!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I would add..
  • hand wound
..to the list.
So now I realize I don’t have any square faced watch !

to your list I would add a weird design classic - I have my Bulova computron but could be the movado Museum or a Gas Meter watch. They are always good talking points or for a fun occasion like a barbecue or sports game.

And i I think one watch that is horrible but fun - I mean something like those giant Diesel gold colored watches or if you are a millionaire tune a Richard Mille or AP Offshore.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Jumping hour, retrograde hands, moonphase, regulator, rattrapante, single hand, open heart, skeleton, anadigi, slide rule bezel, LED, LCD... and all of a sudden your collection isn’t so simple.

This is why I have chosen to amass only pieces I find visually very attractive and simply accept the movements they come with (manual/auto, in house or out).

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Kinda tough one to answer. The only suggestion I can offer is to take a step back and look at your lifestyle in terms of “segments”.....work, social engagements, hobbies and recreational activities, favorite pastimes and areas of interest, travel etc. Once you’ve identified and prioritized all those “blocks of time” that collectively make up your days....you can then “categorize” what’s needed to complete your collection.

As an example; I love to shoot. I spend a fair amount of time at the range, and when I can I’ll even take advantage of some hunting land a buddy of mine owns (I don’t actually hunt, but I do enjoy taking to the woods for target practice). So when I look at my own collection, there’s a glaring void where an extremely rugged and durable “tactical” watch should be....something along the lines of a Damasko or Sinn.

I’m also at that stage of my life where “naps” are rapidly becoming a necessity as opposed to a luxury; so I can see myself owning a watch with an alarm one day.....maybe a Vulcain Cricket or something similar.

Hopefully that makes sense. I kinda strayed off the path a wee-bit....not even sure I actually even answered the question.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Kinda tough one to answer. The only suggestion I can offer is to take a step back and look at your lifestyle in terms of “segments”.....work, social engagements, hobbies and recreational activities, favorite pastimes and areas of interest, travel etc. Once you’ve identified and prioritized all those “blocks of time” that collectively make up your days....you can then “categorize” what’s needed to complete your collection.
That’s sort of my approach.

By eliminating functions for which I have no purpose (chronographs, super WR, super accuracy...) and aesthetics which displease me (divers, date windows, cluttered dials...) I’ve eliminated the stress of creating a ‘collection’ and have ended up with a number of simple, largely under the radar, 4, 3 ,2 and 1 handlers. It won’t attract the vast majority here but pleases me enormously.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts