WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have purchased a set of hands and bushings to convert my glo 158 to the Purist model. I vastly prefer 24 hour time, and I didn't realize that the 158 doesn't show time in that way.
Has anyone on the forum done this transformation? I will have the correct parts, is it difficult to do?
thank you. I will have a watchmaker do this of course.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Not hard at all. Should just be a matter of swapping the hour and GMT hands out and replacing with the 24-hour hand which fits the GMT pinion.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
thank you, I saw that post. It seems they did not have the correct parts. I'm just what wondering what the process would be to do it. thanks
See my post above. That's literally all you'd need to do... pull the 12-hour and GMT hands and install the 24-hour hand.

The hardest part would be sourcing the 24-hour hand, but if you have that already it's just a matter of doing it. Any watchmaker will know what to do.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See my post above. That's literally all you'd need to do... pull the 12-hour and GMT hands and install the 24-hour hand.

The hardest part would be sourcing the 24-hour hand, but if you have that already it's just a matter of doing it. Any watchmaker will know what to do.
Thanks for the reply. I had a watchmaker tell me it would be 150$ Seems kind of expensive for what seems fairly easy. I'm guessing it would take an hour for a good watchmaker? Or am I mistaken?

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
To paraphrase an old story: "It's $5 for changing the hands; $145 for knowing how to do it."

Anyway, $150/h for any professional service these days is pretty much par for the course. If anything, it's on the inexpensive side.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I could probably do it in 15 minutes. But yeah, it's not the time you're paying for. It's having the tools and knowing how to do it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, the change is done. It was quick, and the job well done. I had 3 quotes to do the actual exchange of hands. All Beverly Hills watchmakers. 1 quote, from one of the more well known ones, Feldmar watches, wanted 250$ just as a basic charge to start. A second company wanted 150$, and a third smaller business, with an extremely competent and pleasant young watchmaker, did it for 75$ with pressure test. I'm quite happy that my watch now tells 24hr time. I should have bought the Purist to start off with. I wanted to mention that Sylvie, at Glycine, and her team, were extremely, helpful. The hands were not expensive, and we used the Swiss post for shipping, and it took less than 5 days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts