WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, my buddy has a Sinn 656 and the threads on the crown are stripped so the crown can not screw into the case. Can we order the parts from Sinn and have a reputable watch maker fix it or do you recomend something else?

Best regards
John

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
Depending how old the watch is (the early 656s had a weak screw-down mechanism) and where you are located, Sinn may even repair it for free under their warranty; some forum members (myself included) had this happen. Not sure whether appointed service centers have the same policy, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Martin, thanks, the watch is in Cincinnatti Ohio, so getting Sinn to fix it would mean shipping it to Germany. I am not sure if there is a cost benefit doing it that way as opposed to getting the parts etc.

Let me know if you have info on shipping.

Regards
JH

·
Registered
168 Posts
John,

It might also be the tube threads that are stripped. If you or your watchmaker are able to inspect the threads on both then you'll know for sure. It might be best to replace both the tube and the crown at the same time, depending on the wear.

The former Sinn US repair service is Stoll, up in Dayton. They may have some residual parts available and can do the work for you and it's just up the road aways from you. If not, the current Sinn US repair facility is RGM in Pennsylvania and I'm sure they can do the work too. You shouldn't have to send it to Germany for that sort of work. If it's still in warranty, then RGM is the US warranty repair facility. However, if it's the Argon-filled watch, then it unfortunately has to go back to Germany.

Ed

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
The 656 is not Argon-filled, and RGM should be able to handle the repair easily. The point I was driving at is that Sinn HQ, being aware of the weak crown thread on the first watches, may do something for free that an appointed service center like RGM may charge a good sum for.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
Your friend should also be aware that sending it to Germany will also most likely mean at least a 2 month wait.
I'd fix it locally if possible.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hi guys, my buddy has a Sinn 656 and the threads on the crown are stripped so the crown can not screw into the case. Can we order the parts from Sinn and have a reputable watch maker fix it or do you recomend something else?

Best regards
John
Sinn does not sell parts to other watchmakers anymore. they used to be available thru authorized dealers but not anymore.
You can try the authorized US service center who can get the necessary parts from Sinn. it will cost you though. they charge a hefty premium for their services.
you can also send it to Sinn directly. It will be the cheapest way to do it and they may even do it for free. the downside is of course the international shipping.

·
Registered
362 Posts
This fact that Sinn will not sell parts in the US has the effect of moving up the price of owning a Sinn. This, IMHO, keeps it from becoming the mid level tool watch runaway seller that it could be. Daily wearing of a watch unfortunately puts a lot of wear and tear on parts like the crown and tube. I've been down this road with two Sinns already. Fine watches both.

·
Registered
11,273 Posts
This fact that Sinn will not sell parts in the US has the effect of moving up the price of owning a Sinn. This, IMHO, keeps it from becoming the mid level tool watch runaway seller that it could be.
Good point. :)

BTW, it is not that Sinn only won't sell parts to the US - it is their general policy, following in the footsteps many Swiss makes in this. :-(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts