WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

A months-old Pantor Nautilus (love it by the way), with which I am very careful...suddenly a piece of black gasket was visiible when trying to screw down the crown after time setting. (I set weekly to the atomic signal, so I'm unscrewing and screwing down the crown once a week, carefully.)

Trying to gingerly undo/redo the motion, half of the o-ring split and broke off.

My question:
Does anyone know of this gasket is the only thing rendering water-resistance to the Nautilus's 200M rating? If so, trouble. I'm traveling constantly for work and don't know how to get it repaired easily. Or can I screw down the crown and still achieve water-resistance? BTW its just swimming, water exercise, showering, not diving to depth.

Many thanks for any advice.

FYI: Seiko SKX, 5 years good and careful service, suddenly jammed! That too needs repair I guess. Other items include 40 year old Gruen 1500M orange diver (works great), Synchronar Sunwatch 100% solar (in a drawer 30 years), vintage Gruens, Bucherers, Seikos, Russian collection (one from each military service total 5); and my original Rolex Datejust, the only one that just keeps on ticking no matter what!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Folks:

A months-old Pantor Nautilus (love it by the way), with which I am very careful...suddenly a piece of black gasket was visiible when trying to screw down the crown after time setting. (I set weekly to the atomic signal, so I'm unscrewing and screwing down the crown once a week, carefully.)

Trying to gingerly undo/redo the motion, half of the o-ring split and broke off.

My question:
Does anyone know of this gasket is the only thing rendering water-resistance to the Nautilus's 200M rating? If so, trouble. I'm traveling constantly for work and don't know how to get it repaired easily. Or can I screw down the crown and still achieve water-resistance? BTW its just swimming, water exercise, showering, not diving to depth.

FYI: Seiko SKX, 5 years good and careful service, suddenly jammed! That too needs repair I guess. Other items include 40 year old Gruen 1500M orange diver (works great), Synchronar Sunwatch 100% solar (in a drawer 30 years), vintage Gruens, Bucherers, Seikos, Russian collection (one from each military service total 5); and my original Rolex Datejust, the only one that just keeps on ticking no matter what!
You should definitely send it back for repair. The gasket has probably not been put in place properly which caused it to break. Many dive watches have multiple crown gaskets in place, which should render it unproblematic for something like swimming until getting it replaced but if you don't know it for sure I'd be careful.

·
Premium Member
36,376 Posts
^^^^^^

I agree. Might have been a preexisting condition.

It will be inconvenient, but you avoid risking further damage to it by getting it serviced.

Get something cheap for the in between time like a G-Shock, etc.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
X3 I would not take any chances plus, you should be covered under warranty.

If you don't want to send it away, you can have it repaired locally, at your expense but it shouldn't be that expensive to take care of. Doing it locally may void your warranty though, so check that out.

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
Now that it has spit the gasket out the WR rating will be impaired or even nonexistent. You should return it for repair ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Pantor is in Hong Kong. Long way to ship for service. They ought to do an exchange for new one imo.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
offer them to pay for a local service, it can't be expensive on a watch like that,
worst case scenario, ask if they'll ship the parts as a set.
shipping back and forth is expensive and risky,
unless they insist they want to check the damage themselves, I'd rather avoid it all together.

contact them, be tactful, and good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for your suggestions. This is not a financial issue at all, I just want the watch to function properly. I'll take it to the local (higher priced) shop which is authorized for most brand repairs, and have them fix it at my expense. Disappointing though!

Would I be correct thinking that Rolex's "twinlock" and triple locks would never have this problem? Seems surprising that one 10-cent gasket is all that stands betwen the Pantor movement and 200 meters of water resistance.

I have a Seiko SKX which many consider the be a bombproof piece, and after six years it just seized up and froze. I'm one of those guys who just can't bear to wear a Gshock, or anything quartz, battery-operated or plastic. I'll wear one of the older watches in the meantime, the Gruen manual wind day-date, or the Bucherer. Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. This is not a financial issue at all, I just want the watch to function properly. I'll take it to the local (higher priced) shop which is authorized for most brand repairs, and have them fix it at my expense. Disappointing though!

Would I be correct thinking that Rolex's "twinlock" and triple locks would never have this problem? Seems surprising that one 10-cent gasket is all that stands betwen the Pantor movement and 200 meters of water resistance.

I have a Seiko SKX which many consider the be a bombproof piece, and after six years it just seized up and froze. I'm one of those guys who just can't bear to wear a Gshock, or anything quartz, battery-operated or plastic. I'll wear one of the older watches in the meantime, the Gruen manual wind day-date, or the Bucherer. Many thanks.
stop listing your other watches, we want pics!!

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Nope. Still just gaskets keeping the water out of a triple lock Rolex as well, though their quality control is probably a little more rigorous and there are definitely 3 gaskets.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Crown/stem gasket broke and a piece fell out - help! - UPDATE

UPDATE:
Pantor emailed me in broken English with the offer to send a few gaskets, so I can arrange to have one replaced by a watch repair shop. I suppose that's what I must do. Disappointed, though. It should have lasted at least a few months.

Folks:

My question:

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
That is marginal what I expected from Pantor. Are you communicating with an individual that goes by the name Apple? I bought their original sea horse a few years back and they where very customer service oriented then. Tell them you are reviewing their watch on the LARGEST watch website WUS. Press on them imo...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2nd update: Pantor wrote back (in obviously translated syntax, it's bizarre) saying they will send me a gasket $35 for shipping, $45 if I also need the stem, whatever that means. I answered no, it's 4 months old, it was defective. Send me a gasket no charge.

Otherwise, I suppose I can buy a new --cough-- quartz Nautilus for $100 online, and just wear that. Quartz won't require weekly crown unscrewing and resetting. I really like the watch, and I detest quartz but might do it.

Hunting around I also just discovered something called Dan Henry, internal bezel. Nice! That's next.

Cheers, folks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update:

All good advice here. I finally took it to a local watchmaker with the request to replace the stem gasket, and pressure test the watch. Done! It's back in rotation and getting a lot of wear during this COVID lockdown. Overnight lume is good enough to read mid-sleep, not as blaring as the SKX007 (now dead), but very usable even hours later.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts