WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How difficult is it to remove the crown from a watch and replace it with something different.
In particular, a screw down diver watch crown. Is the thread pitch common on all crowns or not?

I found a watch I really like, but the crown doesn't match the rest of the watch. I was hoping it could easily be replaced. I suppose it could just be refinished / repainted though.

Advice appreciated!

·
1,296 Posts
Replacing screw-down crown requires that either you have a new matching case tube or a replacement crown that will fit the case tube and has the right size threads for the stem. I would not recommend painting a crown.
Samantha

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why wouldn't you recommend painting one?
Not being flippant but I really would like to learn something, not just be told it can't / shouldn't be done.
If you only paint the sides and top and don't go near the edge that faces the case so it doesn't interfere with the seals what would be the problem?

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
The paint on the metal will not last long. Normal use will rub it off. Something like a DLC coating or plating with gold would provide a longer lasting finish. Of course, nothing will outlive the bare metal.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The crowns are already black DLC coated, which is why I want to change their look. They stick out from the rest of the watch.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess my next question then would be, is it easier to change the color of a dial, or to add a date window to one that doesn't already have it?

If I switched gears and went with a different watch that offered either a black face with a date window, or a blue face without one, and I wanted both, what would be easier to do?

·
1,296 Posts
A black face with a date window would be the easiest, as the dial can always be refinished to a different color or another dial that fits can be used. A date window cannot "just be added" as the movement has to have a date ring. Otherwise part of the movement would be visible through the date window.
Samantha

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I already verified with the watch company that they use a Miyota 9015 with a date ring already installed. They just don't expose it.
So either option still stands. I wonder which would be less expensive? Any ideas on that?
Thanks for all your info so far.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Well, I already verified with the watch company that they use a Miyota 9015 with a date ring already installed. They just don't expose it.
So either option still stands. I wonder which would be less expensive? Any ideas on that?
Thanks for all your info so far.
Get a dial with a date from the manufacturer (if they will sell one.) You won't be able to add a date window to a dial without one, that is, if you care about the result.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Manufacturer sells a black dial with a date window, or a blue dial without. They won't offer a blue dial with date. I already asked, that's why I'm asking these questions.
Sounds like the answer is to get the black with date and have it refinished to blue.

Now, is that going to be in the $100 ballpark, I can live with a little wiggle room in each direction. But I hope it's not too crazy expensive.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Manufacturer sells a black dial with a date window, or a blue dial without. They won't offer a blue dial with date. I already asked, that's why I'm asking these questions.
Sounds like the answer is to get the black with date and have it refinished to blue.

Now, is that going to be in the $100 ballpark, I can live with a little wiggle room in each direction. But I hope it's not too crazy expensive.
You should be able to get a dial refinished for $100. Who will take the watch apart and reassemble?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You should be able to get a dial refinished for $100. Who will take the watch apart and reassemble?
Hopefully, whoever is going to refinish the dial. I would never attempt to do something like that myself.
I know my limits!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts