WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it’s the boredom. Or just nothing to do. Arent they the same?

anyway, just remembered two early mistakes i made when I started down the vintage rabbit hole.

was too focused on dial condition then that i forgot about the crown, twice.

First was in a UG Polerouter bumper. I didnt notice that it was fitted with an Omega crown. Dont even know if whoever did it mistook the Omega symbol for a U.

Second was in an Omega piepan constellation. I didnt notice that the crown is unsigned (and with research, i should have known that it must also be decagonal in shape).

after some years, not sure if i should go ahead and look for correct crowns for these two pieces. A part of me says no need. Am not selling anyway and the crowns perform their current function now as they should. A part of me says yes I should. The two stick out like sore thumbs as their fellow vintage brethren in my stash have the correct brand of crowns. Oh well. Wacha think?

a practical problem is i think i would have to ask a watchmaker first on the specs of the crown? Or do crowns normally work the same? Have same architecture? So just need to find right brand, right metal and right size?

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
@Pongster - you make a very good point about the various stages of vintage collecting and early mistakes we all make and then decide how to correct. Personally, I have made dial mistakes because I loved the watch early and the bidding ‘kill’ played too big a role.

I have certainly made crown mistakes as well.

What I have done after 8 years of collecting is actually decide to auction more than half my collection to focus on ‘quality not quantity’ and expand beyond my initial vintage niches.

So good luck either swapping out or keeping, if you like the watches. But I also think, that as very few vintage watches are ‘perfect’ - living with sone of the issues if you like the watches is a reasonable approach ... IMHVO, cheers, S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Pongster

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
19,170 Posts
Well, you could start by swapping the crowns between the Omega and the UG - at least one of the two will end up with a semi-correct crown! :cool:

Hartmut Richter

·
Premium Member
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, you could start by swapping the crowns between the Omega and the UG - at least one of the two will end up with a semi-correct crown! :cool:

Hartmut Richter
ty sir. I thought of that except the UG with the Omega crown is stainless steel and the Omega with the unsigned crown is gold capped.

·
Premium Member
12,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Pongster - you make a very good point about the various stages of vintage collecting and early mistakes we all make and then decide how to correct. Personally, I have made dial mistakes because I loved the watch early and the bidding ‘kill’ played too big a role.

I have certainly made crown mistakes as well.

What I have done after 8 years of collecting is actually decide to auction more than half my collection to focus on ‘quality not quantity’ and expand beyond my initial vintage niches.

So good luck either swapping out or keeping, if you like the watches. But I also think, that as very few vintage watches are ‘perfect’ - living with sone of the issues if you like the watches is a reasonable approach ... IMHVO, cheers, S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ty sir. Indeed, doing nothing is always an option.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I recently got this nice watch with a nice un molested dial. I was looking for a vintage green dial.

Found a dugena. They have some history and a few vintages that run over $1000 pulled the trigger to find the seller had positioned the minute hand to make hide the 2 hour marker was missing.

eBay picture

New glass and cleaned dial

·
Registered
550 Posts
Thats got to be a return to the seller ! very deceptive . My mistakes are too many cheap watches that I just cant seem to resist , my collection has no real structure and is a mix of poor condition but cheap pieces ,with some better quality .

Being a fairly recent newbie to vintage, I got very wrapped up in reading and learning about different brands and then finding pieces at various places . Buying just about everything i came across , the result is a large number of watches with various problems that will probably never get fixed !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts