WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a crystal problem with my Seiko 5 SNZE97. It happens when the watch is directly under the sun's light. The crystal appears to have this foggy/smokey effect that kinda is a problem and is not a good thing to look at. I'm wondering if this is a crystal problem or is this water/moist inside the watch? I mean this watch only got wet through rain or at the sink while washing hands. Or does this mean that this is just the kind of crystal Seiko puts in their 5 models? I have a SKX007 and it doesn't have the foggy look. From normal light inside the house, the fog goes away. See pictures below (I hope they are clear from the pics). Should I have this checked by seiko? Hope I could get some expert advice...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Crystals are supposed to be clear regardless of the conditions. Something is up.

If it is condensation you can put the watch in a tupperware container with a few desiccant bags, pull the crown all the way out and seal the container for a day or two.

You may also have some sort of film on the inside of the crystal, although who knows how that would happen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Take the watch off, and let it sit face up over night, then look at the caseback under the same light conditions that you see the crystal fogging. If you see no fogging on the back, but the crystal is still fogged it's probably not moisture, but either a defective or internally smudged crystal.

If it is moisture, as lightly fogged as the crystal appears to be, it should be a simple matter to dessicate and clean it.

I have several of these watches, and a lot of Seiko 5 watches in general, and have never seen a crystal in a new watch that looks like yours. I'd bet that it's a defect, and they should replace your crystal for you.

Cheers!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I sometimes see this sort of thing on my SKX447 in bright sunlight. I think it has to do with multiple reflections between the dial and the crystal, since I get a repeating pattern where the size depends on the angle of the watch relative to the light source. I'll see if I can get a picture the next time I notice it.

It looks kind of cool on the 447, but it's never bright enough to obscure the dial. I think this effect might depend on the material used for the dial, since I also have an SNXS73 that never does this (same watch, different dial). The S73 has a brushed metal dial while the 447 has the same dial with some sort of green enamel-like coating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts