WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the size of the crystal on the Citizen Skyhawk Atomic?

I'm talking to Harold/Yobokies (of sapphire seiko crystal replacement fame) about possibly doing some sapphire crystals for the U.S. model Citizen Skyhawk Atomic. He said he'd consider it and would like the size of the crystal...

I don't own the watch yet, but am about to buy one.

PS - I know about the Promaster with with sapphire, and it's cheaper to replace the mineral in a U.S. model than pay what's being asked for a sapphire promaster atomic.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Re: Crystal size for Citizen Skyhawk Atomic? - Talking to Harold/Yobokies re. sapphire rep

Does anyone know the size of the crystal on the Citizen Skyhawk Atomic?

I'm talking to Harold/Yobokies (of sapphire seiko crystal replacement fame) about possibly doing some sapphire crystals for the U.S. model Citizen Skyhawk Atomic. He said he'd consider it and would like the size of the crystal...

PS - I know about the Promaster with with sapphire, and it's cheaper to replace the mineral in a U.S. model than pay what's being asked for a sapphire promaster atomic.
Citizen watch USA is already installing sapphire crystals for US Skyhawk and Calibre 2100 customers that wish to do so:

See below official response from Citizen forum rep from another thread:

The Radio controlled series of watches must be calibrated after opening the watch to ensure reception is up to standards. Only we have the equipment to do this.

As a point of reference, if the watch came to our Torrance facility directly, in addition to your shipping costs to us, you are looking at:
Crystal (mineral) 20.00
or optional Crystal (sapphire) 48.00
Back gasket 4.30 (required)
Labor 8.00 (includes installation and calibration)
Water resistant testing 17.00
Return shipping 10.00 (U.S addresses via UPS ground)
Plus applicable taxes and any additional parts deemed needed at the time of evaluation.
(pricing as of October 15,2009-subject to change without notice)

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

Will all due respect to Harold, I don't think he will be able to do this task correctly per Citizen's response above. Send the watch back to the people that made it in the first place and can perform the crystal swap properly without affecting the quality of your watch and warranty.:-!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Re: Crystal size for Citizen Skyhawk Atomic? - Talking to Harold/Yobokies re. sapphire rep

Hi - if you're trying to do what I think you are, there was a thread here last week (IIRC) about Citizen of America swapping out MG crystals for SG versions. Turns out the total cost excluding the cost of your shipping the watch to them (but including return shipping to you) is around $115, IIRC. If I'm misunderstanding your post, apologies, the coffee has not yet finished brewing.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts

Hi - if you're trying to do what I think you are, there was a thread here last week (IIRC) about Citizen of America swapping out MG crystals for SG versions. Turns out the total cost excluding the cost of your shipping the watch to them (but including return shipping to you) is around $115, IIRC. If I'm misunderstanding your post, apologies, the coffee has not yet finished brewing.
Here is the thread you are referring to:

https://www.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=316395&highlight=skyhawk+crystal

·
Registered
690 Posts

I've already sent my Skyhawk AT off to COA for a crystal transplant. I'll let post with the result. But if COA offers a service, I would definitely use them.

Citizen watch USA is already installing sapphire crystals for US Skyhawk and Calibre 2100 customers that wish to do so:

The Radio controlled series of watches must be calibrated after opening the watch to ensure reception is up to standards. Only we have the equipment to do this.

As a point of reference, if the watch came to our Torrance facility directly, in addition to your shipping costs to us, you are looking at:
Crystal (mineral) 20.00
Plus applicable taxes and any additional parts deemed needed at the time of evaluation.

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

Will all due respect to Harold, I don't think he will be able to do this task correctly per Citizen's response above. Send the watch back to the people that made it in the first place and can perform the crystal swap properly without affecting the quality of your watch and warranty.:-!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Agreed. Excellent thorough reply and information. I will proceed with Citizen. Thank you very much.

Crystal (mineral) 20.00

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I've already sent my Skyhawk AT off to COA for a crystal transplant. I'll let post with the result. But if COA offers a service, I would definitely use them.
Absolutely do post the result, I'd be very interested to hear about your experience.

Be sure to post a link to your thread here if you start a new one...

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts

Will do. But COA just received my watch, so it will take about 2 weeks.

Absolutely do post the result, I'd be very interested to hear about your experience.

Thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts

Here's an update. I got an estimate from COA. The cost to replace the mineral crystal with a sapphire crystal is $88.76. The crystal itself is $47. The rest is labor, water resistance testing, tax, and shipping. It will take 7 -10 business days for the work, and then the watch gets shipped back to me. It seems to me, that if you value the sapphire crystal, then this is the way to go. And it will turn out a lot cheaper than getting the JDM version just to get sapphire.

Thanks

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Here's an update. I got an estimate from COA. The cost to replace the mineral crystal with a sapphire crystal is $88.76. The crystal itself is $47. The rest is labor, water resistance testing, tax, and shipping. It will take 7 -10 business days for the work, and then the watch gets shipped back to me. It seems to me, that if you value the sapphire crystal, then this is the way to go. And it will turn out a lot cheaper than getting the JDM version just to get sapphire.
Thanks for the update. I just took delivery of a skyhawk at, and now I'm about to ship it back out to Torrance for the sapphire.

With the Sapphire, for my purposes - this is the best watch currently on the market. The only thing that would make it perfect is a digital compass, and tritium inserts in addition to superluminova...

·
Registered
2 Posts

The skyhawk crystal is 36.70mm. I'm interested in getting a sapphire for my pathfinder atomic as well. Pls let me know what you find out. Cheers. Fernshaw
anyone know the size of the crystal on the Citizen Skyhawk Atomic? [/B]

PS - I know about the Promaster with with sapphire, and it's cheaper to replace the mineral in a U.S. model than pay what's being asked for a sapphire promaster atomic.[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
376 Posts

Crystal (mineral) 20.00

Sincerely
Customer Service
COA

With all due respect to you, the e-mail from Citizen is common hat for any manufacturer. I.e. "send it to us because only we can do it right" or "only we have the expertise to do this". It just so happens accessory work and service work are MUCH more lucrative that selling the products themselves. Again, this is normal in any industry.

How replacing a crystal can mess up the electronics of the module, and its ability to receive radio waves, is beyond me. But I am just an accountant and not a electrical engineer.

But I would send to it Citizen anyways.

I just wanted to point out that the manufacturer cant always do the best job and isnt always right. But since this is such a new issue and something that hasnt been done a lot, I would leave it to them.

·
Banned
5,850 Posts

With all due respect to you, the e-mail from Citizen is common hat for any manufacturer. I.e. "send it to us because only we can do it right" or "only we have the expertise to do this". It just so happens accessory work and service work are MUCH more lucrative that selling the products themselves. Again, this is normal in any industry.

How replacing a crystal can mess up the electronics of the module, and its ability to receive radio waves, is beyond me. But I am just an accountant and not a electrical engineer.

But I would send to it Citizen anyways.

I just wanted to point out that the manufacturer cant always do the best job and isnt always right. But since this is such a new issue and something that hasnt been done a lot, I would leave it to them.
I don't have the faintest idea what you are trying to say.

The price is VERY reasonable with genuine parts with the necessary tests to ensure everything is OK.

What more could you ask for? Just be happy there is an option for a sapphire upgrade from the manufacturer and you don't have to rely on a hobbiest to take the initiative and make it on his own.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts