WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Does anyone know what the crystal in a 1967 Bulova men's watch might be made of, and if scratches in it can be buffed out?

2) Does anyone know if the crystal in a 1969 Citizen woman's watch can be replaced?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Photos would help answer those questions much easier.

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Most likely acrylic plastic. Light scratches can be polished out - cracks are the killer.

Most crystals can be replaced quite readily. As TheJohnP says, photos will help.:)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Photos will have to wait until I am not working during all daylight hours, which means Saturday :)

The Bulova has light scratches, but also a speck of something that looks like it's on the surface of the crystal but won't come off and I can't feel it. Even on close inspection with a jeweler's magnifier it looks like it's on the surface and not on the inside, but maybe it'll go away when I have the thing serviced. It's out of the way, though. I'd be happy to get the scratches removed, as they project as shadows on the black dial.

The Citizen crystal is cracked and I'm assuming has to be replaced. I'm wondering if there is likely to be replacements available for a '69 22mm watch.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
The Citizen crystal is cracked and I'm assuming has to be replaced. I'm wondering if there is likely to be replacements available for a '69 22mm watch.
In general, you can always get after market replacement crystals. How difficult it is depends on the watch; the Citizen will probably take standard replacement crystals. The Bulova may require something more complicated if its one of the two-piece cases or is an odd shape, otherwise it'll probably be standard too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts