WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a while ago I came across this watch on ebay for a huge amount of money, but I really liked the story behind it (granted, that's how most sellers will draw you in anyway). What the seller says is that it's from pre-revolution Ukraine, solid 14k gold, and was "probably" owned by a high-ranking Russian Army officer. The cyrillic on the front (Barzhanski) does match his description of an Odessa jeweler, and the link he provides in the bio gives some more info on that business.

Story aside, has anyone come across anything like this before? Or has anyone at least heard of this jeweler? Link to the item is provided below.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Stunning-1890-039-s-SOLID-14K-GOLD-Russian-Ukraine-Military-Officers-Watch-Huge-37mm-/162920720497?nma=true&si=ID1nwRmCMNzbwN7LSZ6mGwpMCDc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
the case looks legit, 56 is russian gold hallmark for 585, 14k
dial looks ok too, jewish jewelers just did that everywhere, put their names on dials. also seller provides a link for jewlerer history
but the movement is a problem here because there is no movement photo... seller for sure knows how to make professional photos but somehow avoids a clear movement photo which is cheesy at once

·
Registered
943 Posts
I don't see anything particularly high-end about this watch. The gold case would likely be the only valuable aspect to it. The movement, what can be clearly seen of it, appears to be of average quality. The dial also appears to have (at least) a long hairline crack through the center of the dial (see pic #4) which the seller has not mentioned, as well as the edge chip that has been mentioned. The case, either a converted pocket watch case or in that style is quite decent, but overall I see nothing to write home about in this watch. Don't confuse high-end with high price. A seller can slap any starting price they want on an auction and it may bear little relation to the item being offered. Often doesn't. Ignore the made-up "General or Admiral" story and focus on the watch.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the quick responses. Yeah, the seller seems to focus more on military memorabilia, not a single other watch in his list of stuff for sale. I don't think movement photos were purposefully removed/not taken. If I ever seriously consider it, I'l be sure to ask for some. I was just curious whether or not any part of his story was true, and if watches like this were made specifically for/were purchased by the Russian Army.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
I don't think movement photos were purposefully removed/not taken.
Huh? Do you have some specific information that leads to this conclusion? Movement photos are standard, and it seems the seller went to great lengths to avoid including a clear movement photo. This was an outrageously sketchy listing in every way, and I certainly would not give this seller the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Huh? Do you have some specific information that leads to this conclusion? Movement photos are standard, and it seems the seller went to great lengths to avoid including a clear movement photo. This was an outrageously sketchy listing in every way, and I certainly would not give this seller the benefit of the doubt.
No evidence, just general hope for humanity.

·
Registered
4,296 Posts
evidence is obvious
he includes photos about every detail(including macro) but the movement
things likes this do not happen by accident in listings for "high end" and fantasy officer stories

·
Registered
7,774 Posts
No evidence, just general hope for humanity.
Hope is sometimes misplaced. In this case, it certainly is, given that the entire listing seems rather void of any concern for humanity, as the seller appears to have an unsavoury proclivity for swindling fellow human beings.

evidence is obvious
he includes photos about every detail(including macro) but the movement
things likes this do not happen by accident in listings for "high end" and fantasy officer stories
Amen.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts