WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked this one up recently and really love how it looks but wondered if anyone could tell me a bit more about it. I believe this is a Pan American but have never seen this dial and hands combo and the steppes cases like this. I haven't opened it yet so no word on movement.

Attachments

·
Registered
504 Posts
Hello!

That is a nice looking automatic. Likely a bumper auto too with the sub-seconds dial. I'd guess a late edition of the cal 460 or 462. Both are in-house to Gruen in the late 1940s.

That said, it isn't a Pan American. 1st - the dial is lacking a 24-hour chapter which would have been inside of the main hour chapter ring. 2nd - There are no known Pan Am models with a autowind movement. All the known variations on the round Pan Am used the manually wound cal 420ss and with a few models in Swiss-made cases the subseconds 420.

So, nice watch, and a nice Gruen. More pictures would be appreciated, i.e., case back, movement, etc...

Cheers!

·
Registered
504 Posts
All the known variations on the Pan Am used the manually wound cal 420ss and with a few models in Swiss-made cases the subseconds 420.
Ya know, that isn't quite right... I always forget about the later line of Pan Am watches that came in a square case. These were based on the tonneau-shaped caliber 425ss; still a manually wound movement.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts