WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Interested in folks' opinions of the 17j movement in this Reland watch.

I never heard of this brand, and neither has Google, which thinks I just misspelled Ireland. No big deal... I know there are many great Swiss brands that disappeared in the quartz crisis.

I'm more curious about whether this watch has a legit pallet fork movement or a pin lever. The seller has a LOT of "Rare Sicura Breitlings" on eBay, which are merely cheap pin pallet watches. Makes me question their honesty/integrity.

Unlike the sheet metal appearance of most pin lever movements, this one has a bit of decoration on it, but it's not exactly Geneva striping.

Also, the casebook boasts of the "antimagnetic" "shockprotected" properties, which I have seen used along with "17 jewels" to deceptively market pin lever watches. But this dial does say "Incabloc."

I do think the dial is fantastic looking, assuming it is not a redial and the hands are original.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Wow, that sure looks a lot like the AS 1800, right down to the engraving on the bridge plate and that gear that looks like an old reel-to-reel tape. Thank you for reassuring me that this isn't a pin lever movement.

When I zoom in on the balance wheel, I think I see something ending in "150/51"

·
Premium Member
7,490 Posts
Ah yes, now I see it as "1950/51"
Good, because it's hard to distinguish amongst this family of movements (AS 1800/1940/1950) just from a photo, since they differ mainly in size and beat rate. Since it has the date function, it will be the AS 1951.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,051 Posts
Just for your future reference; there are definitely some pin-lever movements that are shock-protected and contain 17 or more functional jewels and are marked as such without any deception. There is nothing illegitimate about such watches although they are not the quality level that is of interest to you.

However using the Breitling name to sell vintage Sicura watches definitely is deceptive.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts