WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems this watch has a polarized fan-club and either you love it or hate it; nothing in between.

What is it about this watch that people LUST over for months only to flip a few weeks or months after they own it? Is it the thrill of the chase? Is the watch underwhelming for the price paid? Is the simple understated elegance too understated and borderline boring? :-s

Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 12.55.44 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 12.59.19 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 1.45.47 PM.jpg

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
I love it. It has an unique appeal in its simplicity with vintage crosshair white dial. As some one aptly said that it's a great tool watch for a gentleman. The only issue with my Geophysic is that it's gaining 11 s/d and therefore gone to service centre for adjustment.

·
Registered
31,976 Posts
It's a design that looks fantastic is pictures then is underwhelming in the flesh.

I went looking for one fairly certain that I was going to buy it. In the flesh it was just so 'meh'. The biggest disappointment was the faux aged lume. It looks good in photos but in the flesh it needs to be darker for it to work. The colouring JLC have given it is neither here nor there - they should have gone darker with it or just not bothered in the first place.

·
Registered
15,944 Posts
No arguing JLC quality but too right in the middle between boring and refreshing, I like some of it, not all of it so makes me sit high up on the fence . . .

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the price were lower would you feel differently? Maybe $6000 would make the geophysic seem like a great deal.

·
Registered
15,944 Posts
Not sure who you're asking but for me you'd have to knock off another zero for it to come into radar territory acquisition wise and even then no guarantees . . .

·
Registered
27,204 Posts
I love it in pics, but have never see one in person. Might be a different story. However, I can't afford it anyway so a moot point :)

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I like the watch a lot and would have bought one if it were a little larger. 38.5mm is just too small for my taste. 40mm would have been perfect.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
As I gather all steel watches were sold out last year. Only few gold version perhaps are left in boutiques. And all reviews at various fora were of praise and appreciation of the watch. I don't find it boring anyway. It's a good looking no nonsensical simple watch with great features. It reminds me of bygone days when watch making was hand crafted art extending excellence in its usefulness.
Size too is just perfect at 38.5 mm from 35 mm original edition. Beyond that it would've lost its vintage charm and beauty. Since it was meant for few connoisseurs, only 800 were made in steel 300 in gold and 58 in platinum.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Knowing the watch runs fast and JLC isn't the most responsive would you, if you could do it all over again, purchase the geophysic again and/or recommend this timepiece to a friend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Yes Sir. We all know that even a good movement at times take time to settle. And that's a minor adjustment issue. It has nothing to do with the overall appreciation of the watch.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Having owned mine for about 10 months I can honestly say it's one of my favourite watches. It's understated, it's the perfect size and it has a presence that means I will keep it a long, long time.

On different straps it easily moves between smart and casual and the fact that the value seems to be appreciating is the icing on the cake. :D

·
Registered
878 Posts
Was on the fence forever but finally pulled the trigger and am extremely content. My only regret was not buying sooner.

Now googling plasma donation banks...
Nice. You have the same combination of tributes as me:

Tribute deep sea vs geophysic.jpg

Beautiful pics, Richard. I especially like that macro showing the dial texture.

Reactions: sc_junky

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
no regrets here, runs accurate with no issues ever since I purchased mine about 4 years ago. wish I could have purchased it for the grey market prices I see now though which is hovering around $8-9k.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,392 Posts
I think they should have been more faithful to the original. I imagine a room full of people being asked how they can spruce up the original design. One guy said, "add cross hairs on the dial." Another person said, "Add a 3 and a 9 for symmetry." A third guy says, "We could add numerals to the minute track." In the end, they used everyone's suggestions.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I owned one dated from 2015. The watch does not work well in a year later without falling on the ground or violent shock. I sent to Richemont during the warranty but they insisted I have to pay to get it fixed. I paid to get the job done. But I sold the watch at a very low price few weeks ago after the collection of PP 5167, Omega AT150, Blancpain Villeret Quantieme, Lange Saxonia Thin and Rolex Explorer. I might not get JLC in my collections. Just my personal opinion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts