WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several people have asked about a project using a curved sapphire bezel insert. This could be interesting combined with the chronometer movements coming next year. What do you think?

Mitch

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Would I be correct in assuming you mean a "domed" bezel insert?

I guess I would really have to see this in the context of the overall watch design :think:

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Maybe that would be a better description!

Mitch
OK, now that I'm on the same page (English is not my first language :-s), my concern with a domed sapphire bezel insert would be its vulnerability to shock and abuse.

I would assume that a sapphire bezel insert would be more fragile than a sapphire crystal because of its geometry (doughnut shape) and thickness.

That said, I would not want the dome of the insert extending beyond other features of the watch (e.g. the bezel itself) thus exposing it to shock, scratches, etc.

A domed bezel insert could be quite an interesting design feature, however, but would depend on the overall design context.

It would be great if it were lumed as with the LM-7 bezel insert :-!

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
OK, now that I'm on the same page (English is not my first language :-s), my concern with a domed sapphire bezel insert would be its vulnerability to shock and abuse.

I would assume that a sapphire bezel insert would be more fragile than a sapphire crystal because of its geometry (doughnut shape) and thickness.
Why do you think that? The entire insert rests on the bezel itself and would provide all the support it needs whereas a crystal is supported only on the outer edges.

Anything can be damaged with sufficient force. What level of abuse would be required to damage a sapphire bezel?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Ask the BP FF owners about their bezel inserts. My guess is they are rugged enough. I know I've seen photos of real owners on real dives with their BP FF strapped on.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm sure that if you hit anything hard enough, you will break it. If the worst happens, just replace the insert. I'm sure whatever it costs, it will be a fraction of the price of the FF insert.

I'm not a big fan of cushion cases. I don't have anything specific in mind. The watch several people mentioned is the 45mm FF.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,474 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Mitch, can you give us a hint as to what it would take to have OCEAN7 produce a cushion case (with a domed sapphire bezel insert)? 3 o'clock crown, cushion case, domed sapphire bezel insert, hev, with a curved, side-view profile. Anyone else?

·
Registered
754 Posts
Are you able to do a Megaquartz style diver Mitch? Or should I say a long life battery watch with smooth seconds hand?

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know what we would gain by making a watch similar to any of Doxa's models. They do a nice job and their prices appear to be reasonable. Something similar to a watch that costs $10K - that makes more sense.

Mitch

·
Premium Member
7,700 Posts
Why do you think that? The entire insert rests on the bezel itself and would provide all the support it needs whereas a crystal is supported only on the outer edges.

Anything can be damaged with sufficient force. What level of abuse would be required to damage a sapphire bezel?
I was thinking that the inherent structural integrity of a crystal would be much better than a bezel insert just because of the shape.

Imagine the bezel insert and the crystal by themselves - as parts off the watch.

Now grab the bezel insert in both hands and twist it as if you were trying to form a figure "8" with it. Because of the doughnut shape of the bezel insert, the shape of the structure does not contribute much to its integrity - probably pretty easy to twist and break it.

Now try the same thing with the crystal. Probably impossible to twist and break the crystal because its shape contributes greatly to its integrity.

When these pieces are part of a watch, then you are right, the bezel insert would be supported by the bezel and would have much better integrity than if it were unsupported.

All I am suggesting is that due to the brittle nature of sapphire it would probably be a good idea not to design the bezel insert as a potential shock absorbing surface.

I'm all for a sapphire bezel insert :-! As I said above, make it illuminated as with the LM-7 bezel insert and it would be great :-!

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
What are "BP" and "FF?"

.:-s
BP = Blancpain
FF = Fifty Fathoms

It is the watch that originally, I think, had a sapphire bezel insert. They recently revived the name with a line that includes time/date only, chronographs, and tourbillons!

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Anything resembling the BP FF would be GREAT!

The domed sapphire bezel in particular is something that makes that watch so nice.

The LM-7 is a step in that direction and the bezel looks great. There is just something about a black sapphire crystal with off-white numbers...

1 - 20 of 59 Posts